which Futaba radios with Phantom 2?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in possibly using an aftermarket radio in place of the DJI transmitter. I'm a little confused though as to what the options are. Basically, I don't need anything with tons of bells and whistles...just the simplest cheapest replacement. My only requirement is that I'd like a transmitter with sticks that have a centre detente.

My impression is that it's only Futaba radios with FASST technology that are compatible with the Phantom 2...is that correct? Can anyone recommend one? I seem to be having some difficulty finding a list of compatible radios.

canadavenyc said:
Hi, I'm interested in possibly using an aftermarket radio in place of the DJI transmitter. I'm a little confused though as to what the options are. Basically, I don't need anything with tons of bells and whistles...just the simplest cheapest replacement. My only requirement is that I'd like a transmitter with sticks that have a centre detente.

My impression is that it's only Futaba radios with FASST technology that are compatible with the Phantom 2...is that correct? Can anyone recommend one? I seem to be having some difficulty finding a list of compatible radios.

I just got a FutabaT8J for my P2. Great stuff, it comes with its own receiver (SB2008) to install in place of the DJI one.
Both sticks are spring centered. (just remove little internal plate)
Downside, there is no bar to support fpv but you can get a rock solid adapter from 1000island3d.com (No need to drill, the double tape securing the system is more than enough (I've got a 10" screen!)

Did you have a choice of which mode to buy? I'm thinking of getting a futaba 14sg and I have a choice in mode 1 or 2. I take it mode 2 would be like the stock controller?

The 14SG is the best you can get. It uses FASST and if unless you have specific needs for an 8th channel, you can keep the stock P2 receiver and you will get excellent range and functionality.

ianwood said:
The 14SG is the best you can get. It uses FASST and if unless you have specific needs for an 8th channel, you can keep the stock P2 receiver and you will get excellent range and functionality.

As a matter of fact I already have your profile ready for when I get it. I just have to find a helicopter version one in stock and get the right mode which is what I'm.trying to figure out.

Hi, I believe that Mode 2 is identical to the stock Phantom Transmitter, Mode 1 is reversed in that the throttle is on the right stick. Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on, as I'd like to do this as well. :)

That's what I figured. With ianwoods newest profile and the 14sgh it should be a nice addition. My next hurdle would be keeping or replacing the receiver. I'm wondering if the stock one transmits telemetry or not

mustang_52 said:
Did you have a choice of which mode to buy? I'm thinking of getting a futaba 14sg and I have a choice in mode 1 or 2. I take it mode 2 would be like the stock controller?

IMO there is no need to get such a radio for a phantom. I don't see the point, there is no real need for all these channels and it's fairly expensive. What i'm looking for with the 8J, is more reliability and an extended range. (I'm not planning to fly it 3 miles away or more unless the autonomy increases drastically)

sergekouper said:
mustang_52 said:

IMO there is no need to get such a radio for a phantom. I don't see the point, there is no real need for all these channels and it's fairly expensive. What i'm looking for with the 8J, is more reliability and an extended range. (I'm not planning to fly it 3 miles away or more unless the autonomy increases drastically)

+1
14SG + Phantom-X = "bling"!

However... TEHO ;) .

Nothing to do with bling. No one I know would know the difference or care.

The P2 ships with a FASST compatible receiver with excellent range capability. The T8J uses S-FHSS instead of FASST which doesn't have the same level of interference rejection and range. S-FHSS uses 30 hopping frequencies always located on one side of the 2.4GHz band.

Futaba FASST is a hybrid FH/DSS system with 36 hopping frequencies spread across the entire 2.4GHz band. The individual signal is much, much wider bandwidth signal as compared to S-FHSS.

Thanks ianwood for suggesting the 14SG as a P2 TX replacement. I'm contemplating building some cheap and simple fixed wing aircraft as well as building some mini quads,so I've been wondering where to start when it comes to radio gear and that would seem to fit the bill, particularly as I already have an iOSD, canbus and anti-interference board wedged inside the shell. I don't really want to try and find space for another RX if I can avoid it.
Is it easy enough for a complete novice to bind to the P2? And do you know if it would limit me in anyway when I expand into using it with other aircraft (ie are the RXs particularity expense, hard to source, not suited to certain types of a/c - that sort of thing)?

Binding is very simple. There's a little button tucked away near the P2's belly. As for other A/C types, I don't really know as I've only used the P2 but I am pretty sure it can handle quite a wide range of RC types. BTW, the 8FGS which I have is also very good and has most of the same features with a slightly lower price.

Ianwood, is there any features that are lost by using the stock receiver? If I'm gonna get the 14sg I'd like to have the telemetry working so would I need to use the futaba one?

mustang_52 said:
Ianwood, is there any features that are lost by using the stock receiver? If I'm gonna get the 14sg I'd like to have the telemetry working so would I need to use the futaba one?

You would need to use the Futaba receiver for telemetry and if you wanted to add something to control on channel 8. I have strobe lights on channel 8.

ianwood said:

I still don't see the point, Why do you need all these channels? what is your main reason? What an 8J couldn't do compared to it?
Are you using it for something else as well?
Please give more details. Saying it's better is not enough, the 8J gives 4km rock solid range. I believe it's enough for a phantom. Would the link be unstable? Disturbable? Unresponsive? There is apparently a debate over this that I was not aware of. But if someone can explain clearly what are the pros and cons and the motivation of their choices, My ears and eyes are wide open.

4km is great. That's impressive. What was the noise floor like?

Anyway, beyond what I've already described, it would be hard not to go into RF details which is probably best left for the engineers as it not my area of expertise. I will say that a wider bandwidth that covers a larger frequency range will, at least in theory, outperform one with a narrower bandwidth covering only half of that same range. That would make it able to better cope with interference, to transmit in a smaller time slice again improving resilience. Also, my understanding is the FASST frequency hopping algorithm is more sophisticated and more capable of working through interference as result.

I can admit easily that FASST is a better link, I usually try to be on the best side of things, but I was convinced to get a 8J after reading a lot of good about it, and according to the price of my set up, it seemed quite reasonable while safe enough for more advanced use than the basic original TX.
When I upgrade to a bigger beast, I will probably go FASST. Thanks for the infos.

ianwood said:
mustang_52 said:

You would need to use the Futaba receiver for telemetry and if you wanted to add something to control on channel 8. I have strobe lights on channel 8.

What your opinion on the antenna on the receiver? I've heard they are on the short side and replace them with the boat ones. Any suggestions on that?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sergekouper said:
When I upgrade to a bigger beast, I will probably go FASST. Thanks for the infos.

That's the clincher for me: I just bought a 14SG since I wanted something a lot more capable than the stock Tx. I also wanted at least the 8th channel on my Phantom to switch FPV cameras (adding a rear-facing camera). Looking ahead, I know that this Phantom is just step 1 on a long road of addiction, and the minute I move up to something bigger I'll be adding retractable undercarriage so I'm immediately into more channels. In the end I found a great price on a 14SG so the additional cost of future-proofing myself was a no-brainier. I don't want to ever have to buy a Tx again, and I think that's a key driver for jumping straight into such a high end system.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic