Which fpv

Reaction score
I was reading up on the boscam fpv and it seemed like a good idea as you can work on 2.4 or 5.8 frequencies. The 2.4 is stronger, i was wondering if that would interfere with the dji phantom frequency. Or does anyone suggest the Shark which works on one frequency?

i would steer clear of using 2.4 ghz for anything other than the tx/rx for flight. anything else operating on that frequency is just inviting trouble, specially if it is strapped on the Phantom itself. it would suggest going with the 5.8 ghz for fpv.

auck said:
i would steer clear of using 2.4 ghz for anything other than the tx/rx for flight. anything else operating on that frequency is just inviting trouble, specially if it is strapped on the Phantom itself. it would suggest going with the 5.8 ghz for fpv.
Definitely agree. Keep 2.4 GHz for controlling the Phantom [and the gimbal if you decide to go with one controllable from the ground] and 5.8 GHz for video. Otherwise you *will* get weird interference. You *could* try 1.2GHz for video, but the antenna would be huge. If the Phantom flies behind a building, you are likely to lose control. If you don't [i.e. your 2.4 GHz signal manages to wrap around enough for you to see it] you will almost certainly lose video. You can try a helical antenna on the receiver to boost gain, but buildings tend to defeat even those.

Michael McBain
Melbourne, Australia

mmcbain said:
auck said:
Definitely agree. Keep 2.4 GHz for controlling the Phantom [and the gimbal if you decide to go with one controllable from the ground] and 5.8 GHz for video. Otherwise you *will* get weird interference. You *could* try 1.2GHz for video, but the antenna would be huge. If the Phantom flies behind a building, you are likely to lose control. If you don't [i.e. your 2.4 GHz signal manages to wrap around enough for you to see it] you will almost certainly lose video. You can try a helical antenna on the receiver to boost gain, but buildings tend to defeat even those.

Michael McBain
Melbourne, Australia
Agreed. I chose 1.2GHz for my first attempt because of the increased range. Poor choice since 5.8GHz can easily cover the useable range of the drone and I have had nothing but trouble with 1.2. It actually interferes with both the 2.4G control and the GPS. I have managed to fly with it but a real PITA. Just ordered a 5.8G FPV - will have to find a new, non-Phantom, use for my 1.2GHz setup.

Pardon me for piggybacking a question on your thread but I am also looking for the best FPV solution for my particular situation -- which is the challenge of doing FPV in a region with thick, tall forest.

Based on what I've read so far, I'm guessing that I'm out of luck flying behind trees with a 5.8 rig? If so, is there any option for me here other than keeping the Phantom FPV to line-of-sight? I'm literally surrounded by a forest.

I see videos of people weaving through trees but those forests have very little "understory", whereas the forest here is a tangle of brush and branches.

The stock 2.4 GHz TX/RX on the Phantom supposedly has a range of 300M. I have flown mine out to 1100M (in a field away from interference). So... Unless you are going to upgrade your control TX/RX for better range, you will be fine with 5.8GHz. I purchased the Fatshark Predator V2 and like the ease of install. I opted for the SpiroNet antennas and they keep a strong video link all the way out to 1KM. Like others have said, you just need to steer clear of buildings or any other dense object between you and the Phantom or you will most definitely loose your video signal. Mine has dropped out even when flying behind a large tree.

The point is. There is not much reason for having a video link with a significantly greater range than you can actually control the Phantom. That is, unless you plan on upgrading the Phantom itself or getting a more capable RC model in the future that you may want to transplant your FPV equipment on to.

5.8GHz is also great for keeping weight down. As others have said, the lower the frequency, the larger the antenna (and generally the higher the power consumption).

FatShark Pred V2's
Immersion 600mw board
GoPro Black for the camera
Installed on a utility board and immersion is powered by its own battery so I don't get feedback from the on board battery.

I can go about 5 blocks from my house. Lower down to the subdivision pool and fly out. My kids know its time to come home from the pool.... LOVE IT!!! That puts about 10 houses between my house and the craft. Many trees also. I will lose my radio control before I lose my vision and with RTH feature turned on its perfect.

I did lose radio the other day. Was at the swim meet way out in BFE and I flew too far past the pool. Noticed my wife hanging with her board members and decided to lower down where a big metal pavilion was between myself and the craft (They wear BRIGHT yellow shirts and you can see them from space). What do I see next.. Oh yes it flying up to 60 feet in the air and hovering. At that time I knew it was in FS mode. I put my radio on the ground, kept my gogs on and watched it fly home.. Caught it in the air and got to see the whole thing in my gogs. Only biggest diff on the original 250mw board and the immersion one is once about 3 blocks away from my house and if I lower down I will lose vision before radio. I like losing radio before vision due to RTH FS mode.

At least I can see through the gogs where it went down if I run out of juice and go to far.

Good experience, I would be very happy if the RTH function perfectly reliable so that I can watch over FPV maneuvering his way home :)

But to the point, I have this FPV set:
- Boscam Tx 200mW, a miniature
- Integrated Boscam Rx (stand-alone) with 2 video outputs, suitable for separate mounting eg with 2 monitors or a great antenna unit
- BlackSheep Rx adapter (with Boscam frequencies), designed for installation direct to FS Dominator, mobile light solution
- 2 (Rx, Tx) Spironet antenna with circular polarization
- FS Dominator vide ogoggles (only in the shipment, tomorow to home :) )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers