Which Filters.

Reaction score
Have a P3A and looking at getting some filters, having bought the drone my other half has seriously curtailed my spending so I can't buy everything at one time. So the question or more accurately recommendation is which should I opt for first from the 3 options below:

1) ND 4, 8 & 16 set
2) ND 32,64 & 128 set
3) ND 2-400 variable

I know the relative benefits of each and as a very enthusiastic amateur photographer know a bit about light etc. However being new to drones and small cameras don't know which I should opt for first.

Regards

#1 will be the most usable set since it'll cover you in the most common flight conditions. If you find you need an ND32 or ND64, you could always pick that up later.

Be aware they are for videography. Not photography. Something I did not know before I bought mine.

Iam no expert. But what I found is they are intended to blur the image (frames) so as to provide a smoother motion.

Somewhere in this forum is a real good guide to exactly what the filters do. With side by side comparisons.

I got the slip on type. They add 2.6g to the weight. Doesn't seem like much. But I noticed the gimbal had trouble correction the horizon level. also using the filters I got have,was the only time I have seen the "jello" effect.

Yes, they work for photography.
Are the pictures more blurred?

Be aware they are for videography. Not photography. Something I did not know before I bought mine.
I leave mine on all the time regardless if I'm shooting photos or video. I only get the slightest hint of a vignette in the corners (which get cropped anyway). I find that so long as I let the Phantom sit for a moment so that it's not moving I still get great photos.

I leave it on since it takes a bunch of manhandling to get the filters on and off and I'm paranoid I'm going to break the camera or gimbal...

Reactions: namnonac
I got the slip on type. They add 2.6g to the weight. Doesn't seem like much. But I noticed the gimbal had trouble correction the horizon level. also using the filters I got have,was the only time I have seen the "jello" effect.

Are the pictures more blurred?
Depends. ND filters reduce light, they don't blurr, but could change your shutter speed to something slower, which may cause blurring.

I suppose 2.6g whilst not significant in terms of the weight of the drone is a lot in terms of the very small camera. Just not a consideration in my photography when everything is big and bulky and of course not flying hundreds of feet above my head. Thanks for all the dialogue, definitely more food for thought.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I must be lashed for spreading false information.:confused:

The info I was refering to showed the video frames as the quad flew past a tree. With and without the filter. It demonstated the blur, rather than sharpness of the edge of the tree leaves.
The author stated that was a more natural look.
I personally prefered the sharper frames.

Maybe someone else remembers that posting.
There have been so many nd filter posts it is difficult to find that perticular one.

Try looking thru this thread.
They are talking about not using filters for photography.
There are some references at the end.
ND Filters while taking pictures

This is the tutorial with the side by side of the leaves I mentioned earlier.

I've noticed a HUGE difference depending on if you add the filter before or after turning on the Phantom. I always put the filter on BEFORE turning on the Phantom. When you turn on the Phantom and it makes the camera move all around all crazy it's almost like it's "weighing" the camera. When I add the filter on after powered on the gimbal doesn't compensate correctly. But if I add the filter on while it's off, it seems to "know" about the extra weight when powering it on.

Not sure if this is factual, but it's what I've noticed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj