Which Filter set to purchase?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im looking to purchase some ND filters for my drone and not sure where to start. I seen some sets on Amazon. Theres the PolarPro DJI Phantom 3 Filters-Cinema series Shutter Collection(Shutter Collection Includes: ND16 Filter, ND32 Filter, ND64 Filter) vs vivid series
(Shutter Collection Includes: Rotatable- ND4/PL Filter, ND8/PL Filter, ND16/PL Filter)
Both are $100. Then theres the Phantom 3 filter professional 6 pack for $150.(
Filter set includes: CP, ND8, ND16, ND32, ND8PL, ND16PL filters)
Which is best and why? Im obviously not familiar with ND filers. I want a nice filter that helps with cinematic look.

Thanks,
Manh

I reviewed a bunch of commonly used filters in this thread. Perhaps that'll help you narrow it down.

I've got the Taco-rc set. Great set and fit just fine with my existing gimbal guard.

Reactions: Manh
I've got the Taco-rc set. Great set and fit just fine with my existing gimbal guard.
Me too, very good filters and they have a nice carrying box for up to 4 filters.

PH3P + PH3A

Hi Guys,

Im looking to purchase some ND filters for my drone and not sure where to start. I seen some sets on Amazon. Theres the PolarPro DJI Phantom 3 Filters-Cinema series Shutter Collection(Shutter Collection Includes: ND16 Filter, ND32 Filter, ND64 Filter) vs vivid series
(Shutter Collection Includes: Rotatable- ND4/PL Filter, ND8/PL Filter, ND16/PL Filter)
Both are $100. Then theres the Phantom 3 filter professional 6 pack for $150.(
Filter set includes: CP, ND8, ND16, ND32, ND8PL, ND16PL filters)
Which is best and why? Im obviously not familiar with ND filers. I want a nice filter that helps with cinematic look.

Thanks,
Manh
I purchased the PolarPro Cinema series Vivid collection. You don't need a 32 unless you are over desert or snow. I was looking for a set with 4, 8, and 16. This is the only collection I found that had all three. The 4 is only for low light. The 8 for overcast and the 16 is my go to for most summer days. The polarizer lens is great as it is adjustable. When the lens is on snug, turn the wording up and its on. Turn it 90 degrees and its off. Turn it 45 degrees and you have partial. The lenses turn smoothly on the threads.

Here is the best part. I noticed some fine scratches on my 16 filter. I assumed it was my fault from wiping them. I contacted PolarPro and asked for a single replacement lens and possibly, a discount.

They got back to me within 24 hours and asked for a copy of the receipt and picture of the lens. A few hours later they told me they were sending me another one for no charge.

Reactions: scootrkitz and Manh
I purchased the PolarPro Cinema series Vivid collection. You don't need a 32 unless you are over desert or snow. I was looking for a set with 4, 8, and 16. This is the only collection I found that had all three. The 4 is only for low light. The 8 for overcast and the 16 is my go to for most summer days. The polarizer lens is great as it is adjustable. When the lens is on snug, turn the wording up and its on. Turn it 90 degrees and its off. Turn it 45 degrees and you have partial. The lenses turn smoothly on the threads.

Here is the best part. I noticed some fine scratches on my 16 filter. I assumed it was my fault from wiping them. I contacted PolarPro and asked for a single replacement lens and possibly, a discount.

They got back to me within 24 hours and asked for a copy of the receipt and picture of the lens. A few hours later they told me they were sending me another one for no charge.

nice, thanks man i was actually looking towards that. what filter you recommend for sunset? i know it varies depending on different environment but in general?

nice, thanks man i was actually looking towards that. what filter you recommend for sunset? i know it varies depending on different environment but in general?
Try the 4 for sunset. I haven't used it yet as I rarely am out flying at dawn or sunset though I expect I would on vacation. I use the 8 later in the day and 70 per cent or more overcast. I usually use the 16 at all other times. You also need to manually set your video. Try sharpness -2, contrast -3, and saturation -2. Your color set up should be D-Log. ISO at 100 and shutter speed at 50 if using 24fps or 60 if 30fps. Post video production is so much easier and better quality than I got before. I use iMovie. All I have to do with any clip is hit auto for white balance and increase saturation a little. Sometimes I have to play around with darkness, contrast and definition, but not very often and only minor adjustments. The quality has improved immensely.

People, buy Neewer ND filter set from Ebay, they are genuine and cost under 30$ ! I got them and they are great, I got Variable ND 2-400, ND16, CFL and UV filter in the set.

And everything for 30$, I use only Variable ND since it works great.

Try the 4 for sunset. I haven't used it yet as I rarely am out flying at dawn or sunset though I expect I would on vacation. I use the 8 later in the day and 70 per cent or more overcast. I usually use the 16 at all other times. You also need to manually set your video. Try sharpness -2, contrast -3, and saturation -2. Your color set up should be D-Log. ISO at 100 and shutter speed at 50 if using 24fps or 60 if 30fps. Post video production is so much easier and better quality than I got before. I use iMovie. All I have to do with any clip is hit auto for white balance and increase saturation a little. Sometimes I have to play around with darkness, contrast and definition, but not very often and only minor adjustments. The quality has improved immensely.
Thanks bro! ill try this once I get my ND filters. I used your recommended settings and i must say video looks amazing after color correction.

This is a GREAT set of filters for a great price. The thing I like is that they fit into the factory camera screw-off lens guard and do not add extra weight to the front of the camera.
The motors used on the gimbal for the P3 are very light-duty and don't need any extra weight on the front of the camera. Phantom Filters
upload_2016-7-17_19-36-33.png

Pay no attention to anyone that gives you specific camera settings, it doesn't work like that.

Photography is subjective and requires you to find the most pleasing settings for YOU under whatever variable conditions you find yourself.

The only "rule of thumb" I would give you is use whichever ND filter provides a shutter speed twice the frame rate. (FPS=60 mean shutter speed should be = 120).

Have fun flying !!

Last edited:
Yes, the rule of thumb is to use a shutter speed that is the inverse double of the frame rate for video. For instance, if the frame rate is 25fps, use a shutter speed 1/50s.

BTW I recently got Anbee ND 4, 8 and 16 (and Mudder Circular Polarizer Filter which is equal to about ND2). When doing video I now first check the lighting with the DJI UV filter and manual exposure with ISO 100. Then adjust the exposure to just-no-zebra stripes on important objects, check shutter speed, and divide it by 50 (for 25fps video). For example, if the just-no-zebra shutter speed is 1/800, I calculate 800 : 50 = 16, so I choose ND16.

Last edited:
are the cheap ones on amazon any good? the ones that come with the gimbal lock or something. Saw them for like 20 bucks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20