Which DVR (SD)?

Reaction score
I received my long-awaited Hobby King DVR yesterday and was immediately disappointed. The remote has no effect on the unit and it goes right into "Record" mode upon power-up - although nothing is actually being recorded...probably because I can't format the SD card since I can't access the menu since the remote doesn't work.

HK will send me a replacement for free once they receive mine back in Malaysia. Another 6 week wait.

In the meantime, I'm looking for other makes/models and am finding that there's not a lot out there that has even 'good' consistent reviews.

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys are using to record your FPV/OSD video.

I used my MacBook Air, VideoGlide software and a Dazzle cable but most of the PC cables work with that software. The obvious con is that I am tethered by a cable to my Air.

JohnTX said:
I received my long-awaited Hobby King DVR yesterday and was immediately disappointed. The remote has no effect on the unit and it goes right into "Record" mode upon power-up - although nothing is actually being recorded...probably because I can't format the SD card since I can't access the menu since the remote doesn't work.

HK will send me a replacement for free once they receive mine back in Malaysia. Another 6 week wait.

In the meantime, I'm looking for other makes/models and am finding that there's not a lot out there that has even 'good' consistent reviews.

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys are using to record your FPV/OSD video.

Forgive me for a late reply and perhaps basic comments.
Did you remove the plastic piece out of the remote? It prevents battery drain while shipping.
Is the DVR hooked to a monitor or TV from the AVout port of the DVR?
In the settings there is a "record on power up" or some such wording. This is so you don't need the remote to start recording.
I haven't tried that setting yet, but would think pushing "Stop" on the remote would stop the recording and allow you access the settings menu.

Again, forgive me for suggestions you have already tried.
Did you download the manual?

Having gone through many DVRs (three dead ones on my bench), I'm now using one from Amazon that seems like the nuts.

Here is a thread started several months ago, same subject: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7656&hilit=+dvr

The one from Amazon (seller drops ships from China so expect a long delay - his store front is probably just that) can be seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUL961G/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The latest one (and only one working out of an EzCAP (good value - it didn't work but the cables were worth the money ;-}), one of the 34 dollar ones already mentioned and a JapanFPV one) seems to fit the bill. It was very easy to set up. Requires an external battery (the seller says there is a very small internal one but that wasn't the case with mine).

Not cheap but not horrible since it can also act as a main receiver. Stick a helical on it and you have an all in one solution. The below shot was shrunk from 714 wide (so it would fit on here without the pesky sliders).

Attachments

• neewer screen shot.jpg
    neewer screen shot.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 373

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31