Which Drone; Phantom or....?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forums; my cousin got the Phantom 3 professional a few months ago and it was really impressive to fly it around. I'm seriously considering getting my own drone and have been researching for the last few months to learn more. At this point, I'm willing to spend up to 800-900 total for the drone but really would like to keep the cost around 600-700 if possible (or less!). I don't neccesarily need the same level of the Phantom 3 professional though it wouldn't hurt. Here's some quick thoughts of mine of the major models right now:

1. Phantom 3 Pro, best deal out there recently: 830ish: At the very high end of my price range and really doesn't bring much that the Phantom 3 advanced brings so I'd probably prefer that over this one. It has everything I'd like except for the ability to control the camera with a different controller (I've found very few drones have this ability; any you can think of?).

2. Phantom 3 Advanced, best deal recently: 600-700ish: one of my top picks right now. Has great range with 3.5-5km (wow that's way farther than most other drones!).

3. Phantom 4: outside of my price range :(

4. Autel X-star, price: $699; Looks like a good alternative to the Phantom 3 advanced but a little more costly and the range is only 1km vs 3.5 on the advanced. According to some youtube reviews it is of better general quality, is a little faster, and has more features than the 3 advanced.

5. Autel X-star premium, price: $899: Has 2km range which seems good enough to me (for those that already have a drone; what kind of range do you need generally?), 4K camera, comes with carrying case, etc.

6. GDU (formerly Prodrone) Byrd, $749: been looking at this one for a while as it has the really cool ability to be folded up and easily transported. I'm really into hiking so I was giving this a nice plus when considering drones. I have heard of other people transporting their Phantoms, etc, though so it wouldn't be impossible to go backpacking with another drone. Also, from what I read it has the ability to have the camera controlled with a separate camera. There have been major production delays though so that's kind of a red flag. It has 1km transmission range, 2.4ghz HD Wifi downlink system (is that bad?) , 1080p camera.

7. GDU (formerly Prodrone) Byrd Premium, $1359: Has 2km range, 4K camera, portability but is too pricey for me.

8. Ehang Ghost 2.0, $599: 1km range, 4k camera on board for this low price, does not use a controller though so that might be a minus. When looking up reviews people said it was pretty lackluster, anyone else have thoughts on this one?

9. Yuneec Typhoon Q500, $699 (includes case, 3 batteries, etc): only a 600m range at most and 1080p camera. Looks like it is lesser than the Phantom 3 advanced or Autel as far as I can tell; what do you think?

10. Yuneec Typhoon 4k, $899: From what I hear it was a good copter but it's a little lesser than the Phantom, is that true? Plus it's at the top of my price range; I havent' looked into it too much though

11 Yuneec Typhoon H, $1299: Looks great, only other drone other than the Prodrone that appears to have ability to control camera separate from actual drone, 4K camera, descent transmission range at 1.6km, retractable gear for easier transportation, etc. Too expensive though

12 Walker Scout X4, no reliable price found: haven't looked into it too much other than reviews that say it is somewhat outdated at this point for the price

Any thoughts on this initial review; it looks like based on this i'm considering the Phantom 3 advanced, X-star regular, and Prodrone Byrd standard. Thanks for any help in making the decision,

number 5
20160427_153329.jpg

prodrone isn't coming out having lot of problems cant even call it a prodrone anymore

or get the advanced cant go wrong with that one

the advanced is not $600-700 do not go with those third-party sellers on amazon go for the advanced but buy it from dronefly they are a really good company or buy it from DJI but DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT buy any of these drones from amazon
get the advanced for $799, the second best option for you is the typhoon H but honestly it is really not worth paying that much more

What's the issue with those amazon third party sellers?
they can sometimes sell refurbished ones, the support from them is slow or nonexistant, they usually dont have a warranty, and other problems with sketchy resellers

Reactions: Lroar
Yup. The Advanced. I did not need to film in 4K as most TV's are not even able to display that yet. Editing 4 K on a computer takes some serious horsepower and is slow to manipulate.

Advanced has just about everything the Pro does with the exception of the fast 100 watt charger and the 4 K camera and slightly better Lightbridge. I have taken my Advanced way out there and dont need better LightBridge.

H At this point, I'm willing to spend up to 800-900 total for the drone but really would like to keep the cost around 600-700 if possible (or less!). I don't neccesarily need the same level of the Phantom 3 professional though it wouldn't hurt.
Any thoughts on this initial review; it looks like based on this i'm considering the Phantom 3 advanced, X-star regular, and Prodrone Byrd standard. Thanks for any help in making the decision,
Since $$ are important, you should consider what extra batteries willl cost because just one battery is never enough.
There's a reason that DJI are the market leaders with (by some estimates) over 70% of the market.
Although some competitors new releases are better than their earlier stuff, some of those you mentioned just aren't in the same race
Anyone that's used a Lightbridge drone knows that wifi just doesn't cut it.

The P3 Advanced sounds like it should be top of your list for consideration.
It is a super machine and the bang per buck drone available.
The new P4 has a few extra frills but it's only a small step beyond the functionality of the P3A.
As for 4K video .... Unless you know that you need 4K video, you don't need 4K video

I looked at the Yuneec q500+ to replace my P1. They all seem to have their little issues.
I also see some seasoned fliers having troubles with the 4K camera. Maybe not "troubles" but a pita.
I bought a P3A from newegg for $799 with an extra battery and DJI case.
Bought a 100 watt charger from a member here for $35 shipped.
Don't really care for the case. I like the cheap soft case better.
Prices have been coming down.
Check out slickdeals for DJI phantom. it will get into your price range and less.
Slickdeals: Searching for "dji phantom"

Nah just bust your budget, get something nicer than your cousin's P3, and let him hear about it!

Seriously though, I would be patient and look for a good deal on a P3P from a reputable dealer. Having the same one as your cousin would speed up the learning curve and he might be a source of cheap parts some day.

Having the same one as your cousin would speed up the learning curve and he might be a source of cheap parts some day.
or, you could get the P3A and save on parts anyway, and save on the overall cost and dont pretend like it is hard to learn to fly these, it is better to save $200 and save on extra parts especially if you dont need the 4k

Yup. The Advanced. I did not need to film in 4K as most TV's are not even able to display that yet. Editing 4 K on a computer takes some serious horsepower and is slow to manipulate.

Advanced has just about everything the Pro does with the exception of the fast 100 watt charger and the 4 K camera and slightly better Lightbridge. I have taken my Advanced way out there and dont need better LightBridge.

I wasn't aware that Lightbridge was better in the P3P than P3A. Would like to understand this better.

You can now get the P3A for $599. Buy from any seller off Amazon where it states that the order is fulfilled by Amazon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic