Which drone for real estate?

I typically do some luminosity blending in Photoshop for my shots, even the exterior ones. Dynamic range is important to me, that's why I shoot with a full frame camera. How do the 12MP cameras in these drones compare to say an entry level DSLR?

If you want good dynamic range for stills you'll want the x5 camera on the Inspire, $3400. Nothing else competes for that price.

If you want good dynamic range for stills you'll want the x5 camera on the Inspire, $3400. Nothing else competes for that price.

I can make up for it with exposure bracketing to an extent. Then mask the pics together. Can these drones bracket exposures?

go over to facebook and join autel x star owners group its a blast
For sure! It does have have specs out side of the inspire and don't get me wrong here. But for a small AC, It has punch that is reliable. The P3P and P4 have been good to me. However, I like more choices with my aircraft.

For sure! It does have have specs out side of the inspire and don't get me wrong here. But for a small AC, It has punch that is reliable. The P3P and P4 have been good to me. However, I like more choices with my aircraft.
want to have some fun indoors this drone has altitude hold is a blast cant seem to put it down so much fun cheerson cx10wd 20 something dollars
20160810_165200.jpg

want to have some fun indoors this drone has altitude hold is a blast cant seem to put it down so much fun cheerson cx10wd 20 something dollars View attachment 62050
Now that's bad *** for a nano,, hehe! cool mini skin.
Now back to the topic.

Reactions: flpholt
I can make up for it with exposure bracketing to an extent. Then mask the pics together. Can these drones bracket exposures?
Ok, if dynamic range isn't important you'll probably like the P4 because of the histogram and screen grid features that help sometimes. The P4 camera has superior glass to other cameras in this class. The overexposure highlights in the monitor can be very helpful. I'm pretty sure no other brands offer that yet. The other subtle features like exponential control settings that make fine craft movements easy is unique also, slowing down yaw and camera pitch, essential when shooting video. These app features were developed from DJIs high end drones that cost 10k or more, a demanding and experienced customer base.

I'm interested to see Autel vs P4 photos for comparison too. Any links out there?

Last edited:
Ok, if dynamic range isn't important you'll probably like the P4 because of the histogram and screen grid features that help sometimes. The P4 camera has superior glass to other cameras in this class. The overexposure highlights in the monitor can be very helpful. I'm pretty sure no other brands offer that yet. The other subtle features like exponential control settings that make fine craft movements easy is unique also, slowing down yaw and camera pitch, essential when shooting video. These app features were developed from DJIs high end drones that cost 10k or more, a demanding and experienced customer base.

I'm interested to see Autel vs P4 photos for comparison too. Any links out there?
think youtube has some

I just watched this comparison. One of his few complaints about the X was difficulty panning. Like the controls aren't really linear - more off-on, so he couldn't control the rotation speed that well.

I just watched this comparison. One of his few complaints about the X was difficulty panning. Like the controls aren't really linear - more off-on, so he couldn't control the rotation speed that well.

was just fixed in a update

Ah, I like that you are ahead of the you tube post, this is why Autel service is better and more superb to DJI.

Ah, I like that you are ahead of the you tube post, this is why Autel service is better and more superb to DJI.
yep autel has best service by far I bought mine end of april when came out still sent me a free battery for supporting them would dji due that hell no

Here's 1 I did for my buddy. My 1st try at it

Reactions: RJ_Make
Looks good, what platform are you using? ( Meaning Aircraft)' The P4 or P3P?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to the board. I'm a real estate photographer who is interested in branching out into drone photography and video.

I was originally looking at a Phantom 4 because that appears to be what's popular, then I began to wonder if I needed all those features. I would like 4K. The collision avoidance, and return to home (whatever it's called) are attractive to me, especially since I don't have much experience with drones.

But I wonder if those things are really necessary for me. I mean, I'll be flying over a house - not miles away.

Then I saw the Autel X-Star Premium and the price is very attractive.

Any recommendations? Phantom 3 maybe? Autel?
I would go with the P4 if you plan to do video indoors for your home sales work. The sensors onboard make this work easier and you can pre select your route points and concentrate on the photo still and video aspects.

I would substantiate an argument that you don't need to shoot in 4k at all to do real estate photography these days but I'm sure I'd get slaughtered since no one has brought it up. I'd argue that your job is to present your best work in its least common denominator to to your client. That's arguably going to be 1080P. There are all kinds of arguments about scaling down in post and blah, blah, blah. 1080P is more than fine for real estate work these days. Period. All 4k does is pick up more faults of the photographer and the equipment that 90% of the viewers aren't ever going to see anyway.

Just like in the early HD days, there are a lot of news anchors and reporters that are not happy about 4k. Wanna see every facial flaw somebody has? Take a look at some news footage shot in 4k. Same with houses and real estate. Sometimes too much information can be a bad thing. Make it good enough, but don't make it "too" good so that it hurts the sale.

The only reason I even brought this up really is that based on that argument, I just opened up an entire realm of possibilities to you for equipment. There are a hundred quads out there that will do HD and do it well.

After saying all that, I'd buy an Inspire to do what you are proposing. It is built for what you want to make a living doing and its built for someone making a living doing it. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Multicoptertec

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20