Which DIJ to buy for video

Reaction score
Hi all

Newbie here.
I did my "search" and all i could find was one posting on the same subject and didn't really apply to me.
And redirect me if I posted in the wrong section.
That being said, I own a video prod. company and I want to get into aerial videography.
This is a whole new world to me.
So I started a few weeks ago to practice with a Syma X1.
I am not ready to buy today but before opening my wallet I like to do research.
I see a lot of wise comments on this forum so I'm sure I can get some help.

I am somewhat a little overwhelmed with the Phantom product line up....
WHat I got from my research is that I should go with Phantom 2 at least.
Then skip the FC40 for video quality reasons.
Then it seems I am left to chose between the P2 with the Zenmuse gimbal or the P2 Vision...
Or is the P2 Vision + worth the extra money?

Last question: is the gopro the only way to go, meaning the best way to go? I read somewhere about limitations due to the wide angle...

Alright, thanks in advance.
Excited to join the group and I can't wait for your tips/experience so I can feel confident about my investment.

Hello, welcome!

So you're torn between the P2V+ and P2 (Zenmuse + GoPro).

I went with the second option, mainly because of the effective transmitter range and the option to "upgrade" in the future if possible but depends on DJI and GoPro if they manage to keep the same form and connection compatibility.

The P2V+ however is an all in one solution plus overally cheaper since FPV is built-in (in contrast to adding about another $400).

To be honest, I've liked the results from both options.

Also regarding the P2V+ vs P2V.. I have read that the 3rd axis (found in P2V+) really makes a difference in video quality/stability.

Thanks.

Yeah good points...
I like the idea of being able to expend later on. And also I would feel less intimated flying a less gear so if something happens I am not losing as much money as if I was carrying all the extra gear.
I have been researching the costs of adding FPV and I can't quite figure out the amount yet...
And also if I get the Vision I might be stuck with the camera and mount. Or at least for sure with the camera....
Hmm... but I am keeping scores and so far it's 1-0 for P2 vs. P2 Vision :)

I was in the same boat, P2V vs. P2 Zenmuse, but the P2V+ wasn't out yet so it made my decision to go Zenmuse much easier because of the additional roll axis. I'd still choose it because I use multiple gopro's so I'm familiar with them and didn't want to add the variable of another camera. Also, I didn't have a compatible tablet/phone for the Vision+ so I'd be buying that component anyway.

FPV is daunting at first but gets clearer with research.
You need the basics: transmitter, receiver, monitor.
Then you look at additions: improved antennae, iOSD, goggles, combined receivers/monitors, various mounts, etc.
Finally determine your goals to decide on which equipment is right for you.
For example, high video range requires high mW transmitters and improved antannae but at the cost of weight and power draw (less flight time).

I'm sure the 3rd axis of Vision is helpful, but whether you need that additional bit is up to your goals. I and many others have gotten great footage with the Zenmuse.
FPV cost is variable but Urawful's estimate of $400 is pretty good.

Thanks a lot for the answers. Very helpful.
Couple questions

high video range
what is this?
I didn't have a compatible tablet/phone for the Vision+
What does it require?...
I'm sure the 3rd axis of Vision is helpful
So does this mean that the gimbal on the Vision + might be better than the Zenmus (at least on paper)?

I am still leaning towards P2 with Zenmus gimbal...

"high video range"
I worded this poorly, sorry. Transmission distance is more appropriate. How far away do you want to fly? Keep in mind it must be line of sight, the penetration ability is lacking in general.

Now that I think back, it wasn't the tablet compatibility with Vision, it was with ground station. My ipad is too old so I'm using GS PC for now. I'm not sure what the Vision requires.

Yes, on paper, the additional axis on the P2V+ is better than the zenmuse H3-2D. However the new zenmuse H3-3D has the same abilities as the P2V+ so I believe it's a draw. At my decision time, the H3-3D wasn't available, a drawback of being an early adopter in fast paced industries.

I have an open ended question: Does the P2V+ camera tilt with the lever on the RC? I believe the P2V camera tilt was done with a "button" on the tablet screen. I like the ability of camera tilt control without removing my hand from the other two sticks, although it take a bit of coordination to tilt, yaw, ascend and translate all at once!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie