Which Apple device for controlling Phantom

Reaction score
Hi folks currently learning how to fly my phantom 3A and I am using a iPhone 6s Plus. It's ok but would like something a bit bigger so I can see better.

I have an iPad 3rd generation but from reading posts it would appear this will not be compatible, or have I got that wrong.

Thinking of getting an iPad mini 2 16gb wifi, does the size of the memory make any difference?

You comments would be most welcomed.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use a 6+ as well and iPad mini 4

16gb is fine. Just make sure you cache the flying location before you go out with iPad.

I have an iPad 3rd generation but from reading posts it would appear this will not be compatible
That's correct. It does not have a fast enough processor. Those who have tried to use the original iPads always report back that the video in DJI GO lags and/or it freezes up.

Thinking of getting an iPad mini 2 16gb wifi, does the size of the memory make any difference?
16GB will be plenty if you're only going to use your iPad Mini for flying.

Look at an iPad Air 2 as well. My wife has a mini 3, have flown with both...love the extra real estate the iPad Air2 gives me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yup, no my first hope was this iPad3 I have, that it would be good enough. Little did I know, when it wouldn't even accept the original Pilot app download. Apple App Store said it was even incompatible.
So I went out and bought an iPad Mini2 and if overheated after only one flight battery. So it was soon after returned and exchanged for the big boss.
Yeah, the iPad Air2 64gb Cellular... Reigning Phantom paired device.
Stays cool running, even after four consecutive flight batteries.
If has plenty of processing power, certainly more than enough to handle the power hungry Go app...

RedHotPoker

I'm using an iPad mini2 cellular. I also have a 6Plus iPhone as a second use device.

The mini strikes a nice balance between bulk and screen size for me.

In any case, make sure you go cellular so you have GPS in the tablet.

New to owning a drone (Phantom 4) and really enjoying flying and taking great video/photos. At age 64, bigger screen is better. Using the iPad Pro 12.9". It is awesome. No problems what so ever.

Just make sure you cache the flying location before you go out with iPad.

What do you mean? I'm using an iPad mini 1 and want to know if this is something I should be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I agree...iPad Air 2 64G is the best IMO. At first I thought it was too big. Now, I'm loving it. It's also very light. I take it almost everywhere. Again just IMO, I think those hoods for something this big looks ridiculous. I was under the sun and i can still see the screen fairly well. I was there for about 10 mins in 100 F temps and it does not overheat. Best of all it helps put me to sleep at night.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl