Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Which App to UseI

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by kirkeric, Jan 3, 2016.

1. kirkeric

Hello,

I read through some of the posts and not finding my answer. I just bought this little Nexus 8 with Android Lollipop after first checking the app on my android phone (which works). I was surprised to go to the app store and it said the app is not compatible and says "designed for phones".

The only reason I bought the tablet was for a larger screen which seemed to be in about every tutorial I've come across.

What am I doing wrong here? Just got my Phantom 3 Pro, updated the firmware on it and RC.

Appreciate any help.

Eric

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

If you cannot install it from the app store, then you'll need to sideload the DJI GO APK from here.

3. tcope

4. kirkeric

Thanks, spectacular timing. So, never heard the term side load. What is that? Save it on an SD card and run?

5. kirkeric

6. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

DJI recommends iOS but 'some' Android devices work too. I have an Android Dell tablet it won't work on but all my Apple devices work great.
    I always recommend iOS devices for DJI products. Can you exchange it?

7. msinger

Approved Vendor

If you're running a newer OS version, the "Unknown sources" setting will be in "Settings" --> "Security".

8. nhoover

What is a Nexus 8? I thought that was just a rumor and hadn't come out? Where did you get it? I use the Go App on Nexus 10 (too slow to work really) and Nexus 9 (works great). And it works on phones like Nexus 5x but I prefer a tablet. Nexus 10 is a little big anyway. 8 or 9" seems perfect to me.

I have seen a few apps that don't quite do the capabilities stuff right so don't install on some new devices directly from Play. Read up on sideloading - it's really simple especially if you install a file manager like this one File Manager (File transfer) - Android Apps on Google Play
    A tool like this will help you to start thinking of your phone/tablet as what it actually is: a powerful computer with a filesystem, all open for you to use as you see fit.

JBG likes this.
  9. kirkeric

Thanks. I'm sure they recommend IOS. I just prefer Android and figure, the darn thing should work if they make it for Android. :) But - understand.

Eric

10. msinger

Approved Vendor

You can find a list of Android devices that are known to work well here.

11. kirkeric

The side load procedure worked fine. It's installed and working. About to take her on first flight. I have a Phantom 2 though so not a novice, just never had an interface to see. :)

Thanks for such quick help to all who replied.

Eric

12. aka1ceman

I have used Android from day 1. Not had any issue except a bad cord once.
    I spoke to Litchi developer. He did mention that with Android you just need to make sure there is plenty of ram due to DJIs pull on resources.

I have yet to see here that DJI recommends IOs over Android.
    DJI GO APP

• iOS Version v2.4.3. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
      Android Version v2.4.3. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
      *Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG][​IMG]

JBG and kirkeric like this.
  13. kirkeric

Thanks!

Glad I'm not the only Android user. I just tried it and it had pretty good response so I am happy with it and since I got the tablet for one purpose, it should remain at tip top speed.

It was a bit windy so I will give it another try.

Eric

14. Ted4797

I used a Samsung tab 2 because it was just laying around with nothing to do. The app loaded fine and worked. I decided to reload it clean. Wouldn't install the app. So I side loaded it and all was ok. I only use it for my P3. I talked my wife out of her tab 4. Had the same problem and side loaded that. She will never know

15. aka1ceman

I use a Tab 4 dedicated just for the P3. Ive also used a Tab 2, Note 5, S5, and S6.