Which antenna mod for low altitude long distance

Reaction score
I need to be able to fly less than 100ft altitude over flat land or ocean 2-3 miles. Due to the nature of wifi signals, this is very difficult to accomplish without raising altitude or decreasing distance.
Which antenna mod would accomplish this task?
Please respond if you have actual experience or technical expertise on FPVLR, ItElite or other antenna mod.

I need to be able to fly less than 100ft altitude over flat land or ocean 2-3 miles. Due to the nature of wifi signals, this is very difficult to accomplish without raising altitude or decreasing distance.
Please respond if you have actual experience or technical expertise on FPVLR, ItElite or other antenna mod.
I do not have experience of the devices you mention, but I do a lot of long range flying, and you should easily reach 2-3 miles without those. Simple (and cheap) windsurfers and a slightly elevated launch/flying position should get you 3 miles without problems, as long as you maintain LOS, especially over water.

Obviously the above implies good (windless) weather too.

I do not have experience of the devices you mention, but I do a lot of long range flying, and you should easily reach 2-3 miles without those. Simple (and cheap) windsurfers and a slightly elevated launch/flying position should get you 3 miles without problems, as long as you maintain LOS, especially over water.

Obviously the above implies good (windless) weather too.
Yes at high altitude, but I don't think so at low altitude

I have experience using most all antennas, old and new. I'm currently testing and posting the results of the terminator from Horizon and the maxx range from DBS.
Both of these antennas are amazing! I've taken the Terminator with boosters on a one-way trip to a record-breaking phantom flight of 19 1/2 miles with perfect signal. I've recently tested both antennas ,unboosted, in a heavily suburban neighborhood where my line of sight was blocked completely by house in front of me and was able to take the P3 at low altitude for 2 miles! Check out all of the results as well as results from other flyers about these two game changing antennas
Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

I agree with FF.

The parabolic reflectors [windsurfers] are the best for the buck and effort... they won't beat exotic arrays like db has but you're not trying to achieve the same results.
Not expensive and easily added and removed with no internal changes,

Stick with the vertical polarization of the stock system and you'll be fine.

Height will always improve distance up to a point and then it becomes distance.

Reactions: FantomFlier
100 foot over water is easy peasy for pretty much any antenna. I use a windsurfer or an FPLVR and both work equally well. Water gives you some mulltipath bounce, no trees, presumably no big heavy objects and very few wifi sources. Try it barefoot and see how far you get.

100 foot over water is easy peasy for pretty much any antenna. I use a windsurfer or an FPLVR and both work equally well. Water gives you some mulltipath bounce, no trees, presumably no big heavy objects and very few wifi sources. Try it barefoot and see how far you get.
Have you been out 3miles? I've tried this with a windsurfer and have to raise up several hundred feet after a mile or so to maintain connection. I really need to maintain connectivity at 50-100ft altitude.

Using a windsurfer and otherwise stock P3P I can routinely get 2.5 km over water. Where I often run I start about 70 feet above the water and the target altitude is up to 300 feet, so not quite what you have in mind but close. The nice thing about windsurfers is they are free to cheap and don't require any disassembly of the RC.

At 100 feet of separation, the visible horizon is roughly 12 miles / 20 km so this should not be an issue, it's just cramming the power in and getting enough signal. Range also likely will depend on how much RF noise is in your environment. My testing is done in a fairly remote area - very few transmitters. YMMV.

Last edited:
Our observations are the same. This is why I need a mod

Got the ItElite installed last week. Getting the same poor distance I got before the mod......2800ft at 300ft altitude with clear line of sight in a fairly rural area with no major tree, power lines, buildings or towers. Signal begins to quit at 2800ft and drops completely if I push beyond that. Very disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The OP seems to be asking to find a specific antenna that works better when the bird is at a low altitude. I don't really think one exists. If you have a good antenna, then it will work good. If you have a great antenna, it will work great. But I don't think you'll find one antenna that works well at low altitudes and another antenna that works well at high altitudes.

If you need the bird to be at a low altitude, then I think a reasonable solution would be to raise the controller antenna! Put the controller antenna at 400' and I bet that bird will fly long and far at low altitude.

Of course you can't get it that high, but I think that's what you should focus on - height of the transmitting antenna. A telescoping flag pole with control antennas attached might be something to consider. You know - like a tailgate flag pole.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/819xeEBzIVL._SL1500_.jpg

Not really, you're over 100ft

Try the wind surfer but get the good kind that is made of all aluminum, no foil/plastic crap.

I was able to fly from Maui to Molokini at an altitude of 390ft. Dont remember how far it was but it sure was over 2 miles.

The only problem is that you NEED to retain LOS or else it will cut off.

Try the wind surfer but get the good kind that is made of all aluminum, no foil/plastic crap.

I was able to fly from Maui to Molokini at an altitude of 390ft. Dont remember how far it was but it sure was over 2 miles.

The only problem is that you NEED to retain LOS or else it will cut off.

Where do you get the all aluminium ones?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you ever figure out a solution?
I'm looking for the same thing now...low altitude range.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub