Which 2.4ghz birdside antenna with itelite?

I'm using the ITelite antenna and I just installed the fpvlr 2.4 ghz bird side antennas. Before the mod I would get anywhere from 10,000-11,200 feet with the lowest resolution setting. I'm also double boosted (5.8 and 2.4 amp on each). After the mod I'm getting basically the same distance maybe 300 feet more but I'm able to use the highest resolution setting . When I use the lowest setting the picture quality is quite bad and I don't get any extra range. Which seems very strange. I just ordered a couple 3 dbi omni directional antennas and I'll give them a go and see which ones are better. I'm going to try the middle resolution settings tonight and see what kind of results I get. Has anyone's else have any experience with the ITelite antenna and bird side video antennas?

Tony from fpvlr made me a set of custom linear polarized dipoles for the bird side. The results were amazing . I believe he is going to make these available for the itelite guys. You should him him an email. I definitely recommend them.

Attachments

• IMG_7934.jpeg
    IMG_7934.jpeg
    945.5 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 20150605_111019.jpg
    20150605_111019.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 734
Reactions: dirkclod
I'm using the ITelite antenna and I just installed the fpvlr 2.4 ghz bird side antennas:
  1. Before the mod I would get anywhere from 10,000-11,200 feet with the lowest resolution setting.
  2. I'm also double boosted (5.8 and 2.4 amp on each). <-- before or after the mod? Which mod ?
  3. After the mod I'm getting basically the same distance maybe 300 feet more but I'm able to use the highest resolution setting.
  4. When I use the lowest setting the picture quality is quite bad and I don't get any extra range. Which seems very strange.
Yeah... some of your reporting info appears conflicting hence your very strange statement; especially the higher and lower video downlink video resolution setting differences.

RF Boosters:

2.4ghz RF Booster Amps:
The RF boosters (especially the 2.4ghz booster-amps) can have a lot of variance from one to the next as they are manufactured on the same production line. WiFi being a true spread spectrum signal needs a good power amplifier EVM (Error Vector Magnitude) spec. Of course none of them say or mention anything about this.

Also, the 2.4ghz amp must be bidirectional. Who knows how well the boosters internal power detect tx/rx switching circuit is performing; or if it has sporadic reaction time behavior to switch back and forth between RX and Rx.

Its just an RF Amp.. right? nope. A lot more going on than just a gain number spec.

5.8ghz RF Booster Amps:
A 5.8ghz Booster is not nearly as critical for its performance specs. It does not really care about EVM. DJI's GFSK modulated 5.8ghz transmission scheme hops between 16 channels but each individual data packet transmission is very narrow band.

The 5.8ghz Amp does not need to be bidirectional type. (wont hurt anything if it is.) DJI's 5.8ghz RC data packet transmission scheme is one way up to the bird. ( PS.. I'm not too far off changing that however. no more 5.8ghz amp and downlinked GPS, battery level, etc.)

Yeah it seem very strange to me as well that the lower resolution setting did not yield a greater overall distance . My knowledge on how all these components work with each other is very minimal at best. But 2 nights ago I switched out the bird side pinwheels for a custom set of dipoles from fpvlr and was able to get around 14,500 feet before I got worried about the battery level and turned around before connection was lost and the resolution was on the highest setting. I also added a third 3w 2.4 ghz amp . Will running 2 amps through the extender cause any problems in the future .

Sorry I missed the 1st question . I had the 2 amps before and was able to get 10,000 to 11,000 feet on the lowest resolution setting . Then I added the fpvlr bird side antennas and was able to go basically the same distance but on the highest resolution setting. However on the lowest setting I didn't gain any distance and in fact the picture quality seemed very bad. Sorry about the confusion. I'm not very good at explaining things

Sorry I missed the 1st question . I had the 2 amps before and was able to get 10,000 to 11,000 feet on the lowest resolution setting . Then I added the fpvlr bird side antennas and was able to go basically the same distance but on the highest resolution setting. However on the lowest setting I didn't gain any distance and in fact the picture quality seemed very bad. Sorry about the confusion. I'm not very good at explaining things

So you were able to fo as far as 10000 to 11000 feet with boosters at the lowest setting. But with FPVLR antennas, you were able to set a higher resolution setting with boosters without significant gain in distance?

Yes that is correct with the pinwheel LHCP antennas but with the custom linear polarized dipoles he made I was able to get out to just under 14,500 on the highest resolution setting before I got nervous about making it back and turned around before I even lost connection . I haven't had a chance to try a lower resolution setting yet but it's basically a mad dash to get back safely . I'm thriller to be able to get that kind of distance with the highest resolution. Have you talked to Tony again

Reactions: FLPTFLYER
Thanks for the info. try the orientation of you antenna to angled 45 degress to ground next time and see if you have better results. Really interested on how these antennas work since now I'm 11700 feet with current ITElite setup with Japanese dipole antennas. Great job man!

Reactions: phantom13flyer
I'm in the process of uploading the video from Thursday night where I went out to just under 14,500 but apparently uploading a video to YouTube takes 3 hours . I really wish I had the cool gauges synced with my video so the distance and speed would be on the screen at the same time. First I'm going to get my tablet rooted so I can transfer the flight logs over to my laptop and then I'll be able to sync dashware with it. At least I think that's how it's done. And then I might try to install flytrex. Have you installed flytrex or anything like it ? And I thought I was done with buying anything else for this thing lol!!

From the guys on Far Out Multi-Rotor Long Range Pilot Group on FB, I found this setup from FPV Customs. I'm waiting for a reply to confirm if this setup enhances the Itelite DBS Antenna.

FPV Customs

phantom13flyer, Are those custom dipoles from Tony for the video or receiver on the bird?

These antennas from Tony's site are what I am about to order. Same ones that FPV Customs sell as they get them from Tony. Though at Tony's site, they are $25 cheaper with shipping.

5.8GHz

2.4GHz

Last edited:
The dipoles that Tony made were just for the bird side video. They are linear polarized which matches better with the itelite antenna. Everything that I have read says there's no need to change out the 5.8ghz antennas that are already on the bird. Those pinwheel antennas that you put up are circular polarized and are not a good match for the itelite antenna. That was what I originally had ordered from Tony and I did try them out but the results were not very good. I emailed Tony about it and he explained to me that those were circular polarized so he made me a set of linear polarized dipoles and I sent the pinwheels back to him. The dipoles he made a freaking awesome. He really went above and beyond to make sure I had the right type of antennas. I would talk to Tony first before ordering anything . Good luck!!

Okay - so eight months later I'm hoping we can summarize with some additional info.

The ITELITE is designed to work very well with the bird-side stock antennas. Right?

However, many of us have already modded out the bird-side antennas, so going back to stock is not really realistic. Right?

So we've learned some time ago that Tony's dipoles are awesome for birdside antennas for FPV (2.4 Ghz). Right?

And finally, we've also seemed to have learned that dipoles also are the best birdside antennas for the control side (5.8 Ghz). And these are available here: 5.8GHz Dipole kit for P2V+ Itelite panel - FPVLR

Are we all in agreement?

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20