*whew* lucked out big time w/loose prop

Reaction score
This evening I noticed my P3S had a horizon way off kilter, maybe by 4-5 degrees. I brought it down to a hover about 5 meters above ground level and noticed the craft itself was tilted--this wasn't a gimbal problem. Also, it was having trouble holding its position during the hover. I expect some roughness down low due to prop wash, but I'd call what I saw downright erratic.

I landed and was about to do an IMU calibration when I noticed one of my props was sitting a bit higher than the others. I checked to see if it was tight and I pulled it straight off the nut.

Oops.

That prop will not seat securely on the motor at all. I must have damaged the threads last time I took it off or put it back on. (Yes, before you ask, it is the right prop.)

I count myself fortunate that my drone didn't fall from the sky today.

I drew a big red X on the damaged prop, replaced it with one of my spares, and was back in business with a quad that was flying level again.

Lessons learned:
  1. Always always check that the props are correctly installed and tightened before every flight.
  2. Be deliberate and cautious when installing and uninstalling props. I'm not sure how I damaged mine, but I suspect I may have cross-threaded it at some point.
  3. If your drone isn't flying right, bring it back home and investigate! At least I had the presence of mind to do this today, even if I failed at the other two.

This evening I noticed my P3S had a horizon way off kilter, maybe by 4-5 degrees. I brought it down to a hover about 5 meters above ground level and noticed the craft itself was tilted--this wasn't a gimbal problem. Also, it was having trouble holding its position during the hover. I expect some roughness down low due to prop wash, but I'd call what I saw downright erratic.

I landed and was about to do an IMU calibration when I noticed one of my props was sitting a bit higher than the others. I checked to see if it was tight and I pulled it straight off the nut.

Oops.

That prop will not seat securely on the motor at all. I must have damaged the threads last time I took it off or put it back on. (Yes, before you ask, it is the right prop.)

I count myself fortunate that my drone didn't fall from the sky today.

I drew a big red X on the damaged prop, replaced it with one of my spares, and was back in business with a quad that was flying level again.

Lessons learned:
  1. Always always check that the props are correctly installed and tightened before every flight.
  2. Be deliberate and cautious when installing and uninstalling props. I'm not sure how I damaged mine, but I suspect I may have cross-threaded it at some point.
  3. If your drone isn't flying right, bring it back home and investigate! At least I had the presence of mind to do this today, even if I failed at the other two.

How do you know what pressure to use when tightening the props ? I've seen examples of just a loose finger tight, and think how do you know when the thread stops?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why draw a big red 'X'? Just throw it out.

Reactions: Propagandy
Yep, had a close call yesterday as well. I decided to take off in non gps mode, and crashed into the side of the building where I'm staying. I'm lucky that where I crashed had a ton of bushes, so there was no damage.

Reactions: Squirrel!
That's why no matter who says what about props being finger tight, I take that prop tool and make sure its really on tight and does not move.

Never had an issue and won't because there is no way I'll hand tighten a prop and give it a chance to come loose.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues