Where's F mode in P4?

Reaction score
The P4 RC has a P-A-S switch now. The F mode is missing, which would normally enable 3rd party apps. Since F mode cannot be put into the Go app (since two apps can't run at the same time) to enable 3rd party apps, how do suppose 3 party apps will be turned on? I wonder if our friends at Litchi and Autopilot can chime in on this.

When emailed DJI support about this their answer was "it's recommend to fly P4 with the Go app". Hmm.

upload_2016-3-5_16-38-31.png

!
That's strange. I too saw the PAS switch, but forgot that 3rd party apps are F-mode. I thought DJI must have added a new menu in GO to use flight modes in P-mode.

But two apps can't run at the same time, I thought. The idea of the switch is to immediately turn off autonomous mode with a flick of a switch to regain GPS mode at any time. Having to switch apps to turn off autonomous mode will take too long, I would think. Maybe S mode will allow F mode to enable in GO. Then just flick to P to disable autonomous mode.

Last edited:
But two apps can't run at the same time, I thought. The idea of the switch is to immediately turn off autonomous mode with a flick of a switch to regain GPS mode at any time. Having to switch apps to turn off autonomous mode will take too long, I would think. Maybe S mode will allow F mode to enable in GO. Then just flick to P to disable autonomous mode.
They changed the play button to a pause button on the controller that will pause any of the automatic flight modes

Reactions: Steven_Ewald
I've got my P4 on order.....but will likely be sending it back if something definitive is not soon announced to allow an HDMI headset to be connected....perhaps I have missed a thread and DJI is simply going to use their same P3A/Pro HDMI module on the P4? There may be a way do do the same thing using some kind of lightning cable splitter on the iPad output whereby the screen display becomes available to another hard wired HDMI device (like goggles.) I will just keep flying my P3 if I can't get some HDMI out on the P4.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Strange this DJI blurb states there will be a PSF switch and I had DJI tell me there was a PSA switch on the P4 controller. I wonder which way it's going to be. To me it makes more sense to have a PSF switch and enable ATTI in the GO app.

In the in depth Phantom 4 review by DJI director of education, he said the P3 HDMI out will work after a firmware upgrade.
Phantom4 - Mark and Romeo's Aerial Adventures ...
Thanks for the follow up on DJI's plan to support HDMI out...I am excited about the P4 I have on order....the extra five minutes of flight time alone is a huge thing for me since much of my flying is over water in coastal and mountainous areas where wind can eat your reserves up quickly.

Reactions: Sinisalo
Strange this DJI blurb states there will be a PSF switch and I had DJI tell me there was a PSA switch on the P4 controller. I wonder which way it's going to be. To me it makes more sense to have a PSF switch and enable ATTI in the GO app.
Yes, I think that makes more sense... S is kind of a better ATTI

Sport mode will use GPS and VPS, Atti does not. The P4 Controller will have a P S A switch.
Yeah, agreed. This info you provided from visual-aerials.com below isn't accurate. It clearly says in the DJI website it will be a PSA switch.

So back to my question, where's F mode? If it's in the Go app, that's going to be an issue with third party apps since two apps cannot be running at the same time. I was hoping AutoFlight Logic would chime in on this since this affects them.

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-6_14-0-47.png
    upload_2016-3-6_14-0-47.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 456
  • upload_2016-3-6_14-1-31.png
    upload_2016-3-6_14-1-31.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Interesting. Would also like to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That statement ended rather abruptly... Was there more to be said?

RedHotPoker

Not sure on the answer but we will find out.
It looks like they are going to require P Mode to use the SDK instead of F, but only on the P4 (confusing). Here is the documentation:

typedef NS_ENUM (uint8_t, DJIRCHardwareFlightModeSwitchState){
/**
* The Remote Controller's flight mode switch is set to the F (Function) mode. For the Phantom 3, Inspire 1 and M100 the remote controller must be in Function mode to enable Mission Manager functions from the Mobile Device. It is not supported by Phantom 4 (which must use P mode for the Mission Manager functions).
* The Phantom 4 remote controller flight mode switch is labelled A, S, P from left to right.
* The Phantom 3, Inspire 1 and M100 remote controller flight mode switch is labelled F, A, P from left to right.
* Independent of label, any remote controller (P3, P4, Inspire 1, M100) used with the Phantom 3, Inspire 1 or M100 will report F mode as selected if the switch is set to the left position.
*/
DJIRCHardwareFlightModeSwitchStateF,
/**
* The Remote Controller's flight mode switch is set to the A (Attitude) mode. Attitude mode does not use GPS and the vision system for hovering or flying, but uses the barometer to maintain alititude. If the GPS signal is strong enough, the aircraft can still return to home in this mode.
* The Phantom 4 remote controller flight mode switch is labelled A, S, P from left to right.
* The Phantom 3, Inspire 1 and M100 remote controller flight mode switch is labelled F, A, P from left to right.
* Independent of label, any remote controller (P3, P4, Inspire 1, M100) used with the Phantom 4 will report A mode as selected if the switch is set to the left position.
* Independent of label, any remote controller (P3, P4, Inspire 1, M100) used with the Phantom 3, Inspire 1 or M100 will report A mode as selected if the switch is set to the middle position.
*/
DJIRCHardwareFlightModeSwitchStateA,
/**
* The Remote Controller's flight mode switch is set to the P (Positioning) mode. Positioning mode can use both GPS and the vision system (when available) to fly and hover. For the Phantom 4, P mode must be used to enable Mission Manager functions from the Mobile Device.
* Any remote controller (P3, P4, Inspire 1, M100) used with any aircraft will report P mode as selected if the switch is set to the right position.
*/
DJIRCHardwareFlightModeSwitchStateP,
/**
* The Remote Controller's flight mode switch is set to the S (Sport) mode. Sport mode can use both GPS and the vision system (when available) to hover. Sport mode is only supported when using the Phantom 4.
The Phantom 4 remote controller flight mode switch is labelled A, S, P from left to right.
The Phantom 3, Inspire 1 and M100 remote controller flight mode switch is labelled F, A, P from left to right.
Independent of label, any remote controller (P3, P4, Inspire 1, M100) used with the Phantom 4 will report S mode as selected if the switch is set to the middle position.
*/
DJIRCHardwareFlightModeSwitchStateS
};

We are following up with DJI on this as we believe it has the potential to be confusing to users. Also, it is unclear as to if switching from P to A or S on the P4 will allow you to override Autopilot, and if so, if it will be without GPS assist.

It looks like they are going to require P Mode to use the SDK instead of F, but only on the P4 (confusing). Here is the documentation:

typedef NS_ENUM (uint8_t, DJIRCHardwareFlightModeSwitchState){
/**
* The Remote Controller's flight mode switch is set to the F (Function) mode. For the Phantom 3, Inspire 1 and M100 the remote controller must be in Function mode to enable Mission Manager functions from the Mobile Device. It is not supported by Phantom 4 (which must use P mode for the Mission Manager functions).
* Independent of label, any remote controller (P3, P4, Inspire 1, M100) used with the Phantom 3, Inspire 1 or M100 will report F mode as selected if the switch is set to the left position.
*/
DJIRCHardwareFlightModeSwitchStateF,
/**
* The Remote Controller's flight mode switch is set to the A (Attitude) mode. Attitude mode does not use GPS and the vision system for hovering or flying, but uses the barometer to maintain alititude. If the GPS signal is strong enough, the aircraft can still return to home in this mode.
* Independent of label, any remote controller (P3, P4, Inspire 1, M100) used with the Phantom 4 will report A mode as selected if the switch is set to the left position.
* Independent of label, any remote controller (P3, P4, Inspire 1, M100) used with the Phantom 3, Inspire 1 or M100 will report A mode as selected if the switch is set to the middle position.
*/
DJIRCHardwareFlightModeSwitchStateA,
/**
* The Remote Controller's flight mode switch is set to the P (Positioning) mode. Positioning mode can use both GPS and the vision system (when available) to fly and hover. For the Phantom 4, P mode must be used to enable Mission Manager functions from the Mobile Device.
* Any remote controller (P3, P4, Inspire 1, M100) used with any aircraft will report P mode as selected if the switch is set to the right position.
*/
DJIRCHardwareFlightModeSwitchStateP,
/**
* The Remote Controller's flight mode switch is set to the S (Sport) mode. Sport mode can use both GPS and the vision system (when available) to hover. Sport mode is only supported when using the Phantom 4.
The Phantom 4 remote controller flight mode switch is labelled A, S, P from left to right.
The Phantom 3, Inspire 1 and M100 remote controller flight mode switch is labelled F, A, P from left to right.
Independent of label, any remote controller (P3, P4, Inspire 1, M100) used with the Phantom 4 will report S mode as selected if the switch is set to the middle position.
*/
DJIRCHardwareFlightModeSwitchStateS
};

HUH ??

Thanks for the reply, but what does it mean for the technically challenged.

Thanks for the reply, but what does it mean for the technically challenged.
It looks like they are going to require P Mode to use the SDK instead of F, but only on the P4 (confusing).
In other words, whereas now you have to switch to F to enable third-party apps, the P4 will require switching to P (exactly the opposite, which is why it will be confusing).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20