Where to get remote pilot certificate?

Is there a way we can study for the knowledge test? I scheduled an appt. with an Aviation company from the FAA list for late July not really knowing when the test will be ready. The guy at the office did not have any info yet either.

None of that has been released yet. Actually we're VERY lucky to know as much as we do at this early stage. Many of us half expected this to not happen for at least 6 more months so we're kind of ahead of the curve here :)

Many of us half expected this to not happen for at least 6 more months so we're kind of ahead of the curve here :)

Agreed! But, this hoopla is all a moot point until actual implementation occurs. I've heard anywhere from 60 days to more than 6 months for the FAA to execute - hopefully it's the former!

Is there a way we can study for the knowledge test? I scheduled an appt. with an Aviation company from the FAA list for late July not really knowing when the test will be ready. The guy at the office did not have any info yet either.

There will be a study guide posted at www.FAAsafety.gov under the courses section. It has not been posted yet.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: David Tolsky
Agreed! But, this hoopla is all a moot point until actual implementation occurs. I've heard anywhere from 60 days to more than 6 months for the FAA to execute - hopefully it's the former!

The rule is signed. In 60 days it will be published in the Federal Register.

Last edited:

Late July? The knowledge documentation won't be available online til Aug. You might wanna reschedule your appt.

Just thinking-------- the guys flying the drones out of Tampa over Afghanistan--- will they have to get a FAA UAS license? So maybe all drone pilot want-a-b's should join the air force for some free training!!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just thinking-------- the guys flying the drones out of Tampa over Afghanistan--- will they have to get a FAA UAS license? So maybe all drone pilot want-a-b's should join the air force for some free training!!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Those guys still need 333 and a pilots license. Part 107 is VLOS only.

The rule is signed. In 60 days it will published in the Federal Register.

Thanks for the correction

I am an Instructor at Drone UAV Pilot Training - Unmanned Vehicle University / The FAA will issue a course study guide similar to the one they have for Private Pilots. This will happen in about 30 days. You will then have to make an appointment at an FAA Testing center, there are about 400 of them in the United States. Look to regional airports that have lots of lots of flight schools based at them. This is going to be a 'real deal' pilots license, if you have any intention at all of using your drone for any business purpose "even your own, as in you are a realtor taking pictures of your own houses' you best have this license. This is the best thing that could have happened to the Drone Industry. It will allow you to get insurance easier, book jobs, easier and validate you as an operator/pilot. Its not going to be easy though. You are going to have to learn (FARs) Federal Aviation Regulations, Airspace, Weather and Drone aerodynamics. So at this point there is nothing for you to do, but to sit and wait till the FAA releases the study guidelines.

Reactions: Mudcat
Just remember........ if you're in business, and use the drone, it all tax deductible. The drone, any prep classes, the test..........

As a certificated pilot I took the online course and test.
After passing my test I reached out to the FAA to ask when I could add the rating to my pilot certificate, here is there answer.

Mr. Daniels,

The Remote Pilot in Command Certification will not be granted until the rule takes affect in August 2016. You can submit your Course Completion certificate at that time to show evidence of completion.

More information on the small UAS rule is available on our website at Unmanned Aircraft Systems.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]

The test for non pilots will consist of questions for the new part 107 regs, and questions from the existing pilot certificate test, including Weather, Airspace, and Sectionals.
So learn how to translate a METAR, learn the airspace regulations, and how to read a sectional.

The test will be given at the same FAA test centers as all pilots written tests are. Generally a small General Aviation airport with a flight school.

Here is the Certificate of Achievement I received for completing the course and test.

13495406_10209791729855106_6184503332083926561_o.jpg

Reactions: turbulence
forget it, im not going to "pass this test every 2 years". good luck!
I have an Airplane and Seaplane pilot certificate. Like these pilot certificates the sUAS certificate never expires. However to legally fly every pilot must take a biannual flight review, since you don't actually take a flight test to get your sUAS they need to use a written.
I have to do it if I want to keep flying airplanes/seaplanes, and I will have to to keep flying drones commercially. It is a safety measure.

Reactions: BigAl07
Those guys still need 333 and a pilots license. Part 107 is VLOS only.
You do not need an FAA pilots license to fly military vehicles for the militray. They are exempt. However even an F-16 pilot needs to get his pilots license to fly a non military vehicle like a Cessna in the US airspace just like everyone else.

If you already have a pilots certificate go to Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov sign in or up and take the online course which qualifies you to take the pilots only online test.

If you are not a pilot besides studying part 107 try to find an off line or online ground school course/study group. For the non pilot test you will need to know airspace regulations, how to read a sectional (map of airspace pilots navigate by), and weather... Translate METARs know the difference between true and magnetic north and which one is used when describing surface wind directions... Sorry I got carried away.
Sorry for the grammar typo... that will teach me to answer from my phone...... or maybe not
:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj