Where to fly P3A safely on Long Island, NY?

New York state parks are no fly zones with the exception of a few RC fields which require AMA membership and a state issued permit to fly at, and they are geared towards winged craft, and in not very scenic locations.

My understanding that State Parks can only control the take off and landing of drones within the parks. The FAA/US Govt are the only ones that can regulate airspace. This way we don't have a "patchwork quilt" of towns, cities and other municipalities playing with airspace. Municipalities can use some laws to counteract voyurism though.

49 USC § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace
(a)Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit.—
(1)
The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

No other entity may regulate flight. Nor may they create a "no-fly" zone. They may make rules where you may take off and land within their jurisdiction. The National Park Service does just that by prohibiting takeoffs, landings and operations from park property. (An operation is what the FAA calls a takeoff or landing).

When next I come home to LI, I really, really, really want to find a legal/legit way to film the Fire Island Lighthouse. Presumably, take off from Robert Moses Field 5 - what's the scoop on flying there?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1