Where to fly P3A safely on Long Island, NY?

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to fly my P3A on Long Island without causing an issue with my fellow inhabitants. Anyone know of a good Park, area or field that will allow folks to fly their equipment? Thanks in advance.

Hello, I am looking to fly my P3A on Long Island without causing an issue with my fellow inhabitants. Anyone know of a good Park, area or field that will allow folks to fly their equipment? Thanks in advance.
I fly regularly in Eisenhower Park. Field #6. Never had a problem.

If you want lots and lots of open space head east...In Manorville there is a large sod farm (I think it's DeLalio if you want to ask permission) off CR 111 and I always see RC fliers there. Lots of farmland in the Riverhead area and north fork...just ask first. Just be aware of Gabreski airport in Westhampton Beach...huge place but with National Guard copters and transports.

Hello fellow flyers.

Just getting into this hobby with a new Phantom 3 Adv. Have made some test flights upstate NY in some large open areas. Would really like to do some flying on Long Island, but am worried about rules and regulations.

Are there any decent parks where flying is not banned? I looked into a few of the state parks (Bethpage, Hecksher, etc.) but they seem to have pretty expensive requirements (AMA membership + $40 permit fee per park. Looks like Bethpage also requires a license of some sort.) These parks also have small dedicated flying areas - which might be fine for just flying, but have limited opportunity for video.

Are there any beach areas to get some coastal video? I have seen people post here with video shot at Jones Beach... are we allowed to fly there (at least in the current off-season)?

Hello fellow flyers.

Just getting into this hobby with a new Phantom 3 Adv. Have made some test flights upstate NY in some large open areas. Would really like to do some flying on Long Island, but am worried about rules and regulations.

Are there any decent parks where flying is not banned? I looked into a few of the state parks (Bethpage, Hecksher, etc.) but they seem to have pretty expensive requirements (AMA membership + $40 permit fee per park. Looks like Bethpage also requires a license of some sort.) These parks also have small dedicated flying areas - which might be fine for just flying, but have limited opportunity for video.

Are there any beach areas to get some coastal video? I have seen people post here with video shot at Jones Beach... are we allowed to fly there (at least in the current off-season)?
If by parks, you mean state parks, then call first. If you mean municipal parks, I've never had a problem at Eisenhower. Regarding Jones Beach, the place is huge, and in the off season I can't imagine having an issue... go find a dune somewhere, grab a seat, and keep the altitude over 100 ft. Key to beaches is to keep a low profile... and in the off season, you won't have to worry about bikinis and the whole peeping Tom argument. Shelter Island is another nice spot, and it's a bit easier because there are a lot of boat landings along the circumference of the island...

Just keep a low profile and a good altitude and you wont be bothered. At least in my experience.

Along the water there are State Parks (Jones Beach), County Parks and Town Parks. I don't like going to the beach at all during season because there are too many people - having a Phantom there in the summer wouldn't make the crowds any more enjoyable for me. :)

I thought I read there were issues with flying in NY State Parks. Yet, there are State Parks that have flying fields and issue flying permits. There are videos of folks flying over the water tower at Jones Beach - not really keeping a low profile. I'll have to look up whom to call over there for direction.

On the county level, I have seen the comments about Eisenhower. Seems like Nassau County parks may be fine with it. I know drones have flown in Old Bethpage Village to video events and there have been no problems. Not sure there are many Nassau County Parks I would be interested in getting footage from. (Can Nickerson (County) or Lido (Town) Beaches be accessed in the off season? I always thought the gates were closed.)

Suffolk County has some decent parks/beaches where I would like to fly. However, I am confused about the status. There are several threads and news stories about a "drone ban" that was proposed earlier this year. I read that the ban was vetoed, but also that the law was to be re-written. Couldn't find any legitimate coverage after that.

This time of year the parks along the water tend to be pretty deserted (which works for me). But a guy walking around with a large hardshell case doesn't seem very "low profile." Or maybe I'm just overthinking this? Perhaps a secluded sand dune along Ocean Parkway is the best way to go.

Thanks for the info. Shelter Island is a haul for me (on the Nassau/Suffolk border) but it may be worth checking out.

Suffolk County has some decent parks/beaches where I would like to fly. However, I am confused about the status. There are several threads and news stories about a "drone ban" that was proposed earlier this year. I read that the ban was vetoed, but also that the law was to be re-written. Couldn't find any legitimate coverage after that.
The "drone ban" would have been near federal buildings, and over public beaches during peak season. It didn't pass as far as I know, but then again, federal buildings are boring and there are a lot of public beaches to fly over, even if just a fly-by. Either way it's off season so go fly. A dune along Ocean Pkwy would be perfect. Lido I believe remains open during the fall. Remember, these new Phantoms have a remarkable range, especially out and around water. So even if someone saw it fly over, they'd have a pretty long walk to find you. I've done 2+ miles off a landing on Shelter Island. And one of the guys that runs the South Ferry has one and flies it from the ferry landing. I know because when I asked for permission to fly there he said "go right ahead I do it all the time". Good luck.

Very cool. Thanks much for the information. Nice to know it isn't that hard to find a place to fly.

I will admit that I am NOT ready for a 2+ mile run. I start to chicken out at about 1800-2000 ft because I have trouble seeing it in the sky.

Side note - I find it funny how some believe these things can be used to "spy" on people without their knowledge. Even at 2000ft you can still hear the thing. At close enough range to recognize someone you would have to be stone deaf not to hear it.

They never did catch that person dumping call girls bodies around Jones Beach or so did they? I've been up there, used to live near Lake Ronkonkoma, love the area, caught some concerts at Jones beach back in the 90's too, wrecked a pair of boots when the tide came in.
I'm keeping an ear out to see how the Island handles us, least the LIE wont be a parking lot in Jan. ;-) Course watch out if you get a blizzard like 95/96, the LIE with plows is not fun. LOL

I am in western Nassau... Near JFK an LGA restriction zones. I have been struggling to find locations to fly...state parks..no go, Fire Island, no go. Now I've been told my volunteer work for the Museum of American Armor in Old Bethpage is considered commercial and requires a 333 and pilot.

Very frustrating.

I liken it to the gun control issue (although not as dramatic) the law abiding citizen is being unduly burdened with unrealistic requirements, when those who intend to do harm will regardless of the law.

I am intelligent enough to understand common sense, and I gave gone to great lengths to become familiar with FAA regs.

I have been flying for a few years now

****, Fire Island is a nogo? Shoot, I used to do security for the ferry, but then again it doesnt surprise me. I knew back in the 90's most of the east end were the snooty type, sounds like 20 some years later things havent changed much.
I never expected to fly near the city, LIC is way too close & crowded, but as you work out the island I figured there would be something. Now the State Parks have banned us, it seems many of the east coast states are banning us from their parks. I wonder if its just MR or the whole RC crowd. :head scratching:
Interesting

You are correct about no flying at Fire Island. Same with the Cape Cod National Seashore and even our little Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area here in Atlanta. All National Parks (in caps. deliberately) are out. The Nation Park Service initially said that the ban would be temporary until they figured out a fair set of rules to allow drones in a manner that wouldn't bother people, property, or wildlife. But they haven't gotten their act together yet. However National Forests are generally OK, as are state parks, depending on local regulations.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj