Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

Technically this is too close to John Wayne airport. You can sometimes see the planes buzzing over. It should show NFZ on your DJI go app.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Didn't show anything when It was flown. PLus the distance between the two bases are quite considerable. I have the latest dji go app. Talked to one of the locals there, and he said that a few people park at a certain spot and fly there.

Are you talking the one by the district?

Pretty close to John Wayne airport.
I like the area, especially since there aren't many around, but it's very close

IMG_1473206361.874765.jpg

Yea, that circle use to be larger and match the FAA stds.

I thought you meant the old El Toro marine base. Can you provide exact coordinates of the location you're referring to near the blimp hangers? I'd like to fly around those hangers but have always assumed it was too close to John Wayne airport.

This is where the local said people fly drones. It's either this spot ,or somewhere else on the same street. Since it seemed like a legit spot, my bro and I just flew it there. It's the driveway right next to the pin btw.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots[/QUOTE]
Locals there said that
I thought you meant the old El Toro marine base. Can you provide exact coordinates of the location you're referring to near the blimp hangers? I'd like to fly around those hangers but have always assumed it was too close to John Wayne airport.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 414
That's where mine was flown from; Yup. The local I talked to said it was there, but he just said some platform on that street, so I figured that it was where he was referring to once I got to that gated driveway. It's abandoned, so I just went for it. If you find a more legit spot on that street please let me know. Oh yea.. One of the empty houses on the opposite side of that driveway has a roof missing. It seems like a nice shot/video since those are rare these days.

That's where mine was flown from; Yup. The local I talked to said it was there, but he just said some platform on that street, so I figured that it was where he was referring to once I got to that gated driveway. It's abandoned, so I just went for it. If you find a more legit spot on that street please let me know. Oh yea.. One of the empty houses on the opposite side of that driveway has a roof missing. It seems like a nice shot/video since those are rare these days.
Did you fly around the blimp hanger?

We're you asked by the GO app if you had permission and accept responsibility, since it is so close to John Wayne airport?

Pretty close to John Wayne airport.
I like the area, especially since there aren't many around, but it's very close

View attachment 64215

I would love to fly out there. If someone heads out there let me know. I work just feet from there and would like to join. I take a lunch break around noon. Ill probably go check it out tomorrow.

I would love to fly out there. If someone heads out there let me know. I work just feet from there and would like to join. I take a lunch break around noon. Ill probably go check it out tomorrow.

I can probably go out there at lunch time next week (probably tues/wed). I'll let you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you fly around the blimp hanger?

We're you asked by the GO app if you had permission and accept responsibility, since it is so close to John Wayne airport?

The first time I experienced a no go zone was around angel's stadium. I haven't even gotten close enough to JW airport for my drone to say that I'm in a restricted area like the Crystal Cathedral and the angel stadium. I will most definately abide by those rules, but I kept on flying whenever I received those "accept .... Risks..something something." Two checker box popup , but those didn't have the restrictive circles on my gps maps. If that's what you are referring to, then I don't remember if the hangers even had that checkerbox popup, but guarenteed they weren't anything like the restricted zones I experienced at Christ Crystal Cathedral and Angel's Stadium area. I'm fairly new here too, so if I'm doing anything wrong please correct me.

Here are the official FAA "rules" for flying in that location as a hobbyist:
"Location Requirements: 5 miles from airports without prior notification to airport and air traffic control." I plan to try out my Part107 notification process to get authorization next week b4 flying. Let's see how this goes...

Has anyone flown at the Bolsa Chica Wetlands (Huntington Beach)?

Has anyone flown at the Bolsa Chica Wetlands (Huntington Beach)?
(answering my own question...)

I flew the southern area of the wetlands this weekend, showing marshland, housing subdivisions, and oil derricks...

I haven't flown in about 2 months. I need to get out there soon.

More from me in HB...

Reactions: XFlite and bradnd99

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20