Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

Cool video John. I was flying over Crescent Bay and Divers Cove on Christmas. My family owns property on the bluffs of both and I am delighted to see drones flying around. I know the limits of their FOV. Most people who have a problem with drones incorrectly assume they have telephoto zoom capabilities. Nobody had anything negative to say to me on Christmas. Most looked at me with fear and likely assumed it was a Christmas present that I would send crashing in to a tree. [emoji23]

Every cop I've ever spoken to has dismissed themselves from the conversation citing FAA has jurisdiction...yet I may have a court date in a few weeks to defend against a disturbing the peace (prop noise) charge...citation still hasn't been filed and paper court date is a holiday...

Newport is a fun shoot. Here's one I did last month. This is a combination of two missions. I didn't get any static from anyone.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Basald
Newport is a fun shoot. Here's one I did last month. This is a combination of two missions. I didn't get any static from anyone.

Try going in for a closeup of the surfers [emoji16]. I had a friend want me to film him surfing closeup, but I don't have the guts since my experience is the wind is quite unpredictable at low altitudes along the coast.

Anyone who knows where I can fly my Phantom in IE? Just got my Phantom 3A and I'm looking for a place to fly it....
I suggest Cajon pass, there are some great big rocks there near railroad tracks. I've been wanting to shoot that for months. Every time I drive by I yearn to stop and fly there. Someday.

I suggest Cajon pass, there are some great big rocks there near railroad tracks. I've been wanting to shoot that for months. Every time I drive by I yearn to stop and fly there. Someday.
Thanks for the info John and by the way, I saw your video of Balboa Pier it's beautiful. I hope one day I can do the same thing too. I'm just a "newbie" right now trying to learn to fly among other things all by myself and this forum is helping me a lot.

here is one more I did over Dana Point Headlands and the Dana Point Harbor over the holidays.
Haha, flew the same area just before New Years. Hopefully you didn't take off from the top of headlands....plenty of "NO UAV" signs up there...

Last edited:
Reactions: Basald
Try going in for a closeup of the surfers [emoji16]. I had a friend want me to film him surfing closeup, but I don't have the guts since my experience is the wind is quite unpredictable at low altitudes along the coast.

if you fly over water do it with expectation you can lose your drone. calm lake might be better if you have floaters installed. ocean is a bit risky. Also the beach has a lot of sand flying around which can jam things.

if you fly over water do it with expectation you can lose your drone. calm lake might be better if you have floaters installed. ocean is a bit risky. Also the beach has a lot of sand flying around which can jam things.
I fly over the ocean pretty much 90% of the time my bird is in the air...no floaters...although friend with a solo has floating skids and and our inspire buddy has a parachute...so he can i dunno watch it for a few seconds before it sinks? Expendable assets these phantoms are.

Too bad you weren't next door in Huntington Beach, aka Surf City USA, during the playing of Surf City, Awesome video.

Just bought myself the Phantom 4 and it's inspiring to see such amazing videos by fellow members. Any groups out here in the OC that I can fly with and learn from? This was some amazing stuff

How often do you fly in Newport and what's a good time?

Is there a certain spot you start at go avoid people around you?

How often do you fly in Newport and what's a good time?

Is there a certain spot you start at go avoid people around you?
Early mornings or late afternoon, but not during summer season when the masses are going to the beach at all hours. Pm me with your phone# and will connect offline.

Looking for places to learn how to fly my new Phantom 4. I live in the Orange County area. I am willing to drive other areas also.

Looking for places to learn how to fly my new Phantom 4. I live in the Orange County area. I am willing to drive other areas also.

Saw your post. I fly with two other friends in Anaheim Hills. Feel free to message me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31