Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

Has anyone ever run in to problems flying at HB city beach? One of the head lifeguards told me I can't fly at the beach. I obeyed and left.
It's good practice to avoid crowds of people, flying over the ocean though is fairly safe. If you launch outside of the beach parking lot they can't stop you. They don't own the sky, only the land where you launch. So if you'd like to capture some footage of the pier and beach, just launch across the street in a safe place and fly over the water, but select a time when there's less people, like a clear cold winter day. It's vacant when it's cold. I don't think there are any lifeguards around either, so you can likely fly without hassle after Thanksgiving to Easter. The last hour of daylight at the beach is what I target, the coloring can be spectacular during this "golden hour".

Last edited:
Reactions: markdizle
Those looks like nice places to fly! I'll keep this thread bookmarked. ;)

I'm interested on that Great Park though, but I really don't like flying by myself most of the times. And I guess I'll keep my AMA card with me at all times now, LOL.

Well since I'm right next to the OC area, the best places in my turf is any Palos Verdes beach (especially White point, Abalone Cove and Korean Friendship Bell (actually San Pedro)) and Manhattan Beach (and northwards). Just avoid the refineries and shipping docks since it's a no-fly zone there. I haven't heard anyone having trouble flying in the other areas though.
There's a popular field to fly at that's very near Great Park here 33.669298, -117.755643. It's next to an industrial building, says "Discovery" on the sign. There's a small handicap ramp to the left of their driveway that you can drive up, leading onto this dirt field. On weekends there's typically 3-4 flyers of drones and helicopters there, occasionally a plane is flying.

UPDATE: This area has been blocked for flying now, since about Jan 2017 I think.

upload_2015-10-23_16-43-31.png

Last edited:
There's a popular field to fly at that's very near Great Park here 33.669298, -117.755643. It's next to an industrial building, says "Discovery" on the sign. There's a small handicap ramp to the left of their driveway that you can drive up, leading onto this dirt field. On weekends there's typically 3-4 flyers of drones and helicopters there, occasionally a plane is flying.

View attachment 34096
Interesting... This is around the corner from my house. I pass by here all the time thinking....if the highway wasn't next to it (in case of flyaway) would be a great place to fly...there are also no trespassing signs I believe...
Either way, gotta watch out for Irvine. The police usually don't like any RC equipment around the city. I've yet to find any law on the books outside the restriction in city parks.

Im in for a meetup to fly and learn sometime this weekend. I am in Yorba Linda and I can fly anywhere right before sunset. I just want to go out for a couple hours and maybe not even fly personally but to watch you guys fly and watch your tricks.
Ill Start.. Newport Beach Tomorrow around 5pm? email me if anything gets decided please [email protected] Mike

Interesting... This is around the corner from my house. I pass by here all the time thinking....if the highway wasn't next to it (in case of flyaway) would be a great place to fly...there are also no trespassing signs I believe...
Either way, gotta watch out for Irvine. The police usually don't like any RC equipment around the city. I've yet to find any law on the books outside the restriction in city parks.
I've never seen a no trespassing sign, I've been there several times. I have a friend that has flown there for years. Usually most flyers are there in the morning, not so much in the afternoon.

I've never seen a no trespassing sign, I've been there several times. I have a friend that has flown there for years. Usually most flyers are there in the morning, not so much in the afternoon.
You're right. Drove by today, no sign. Im pretty soon there use to be one. The area has changed a bit since the Jeffrey road railroad underpass construction. It's not often you find an open field w/o signage especially in the OC!

I know you can fly at Irvine Lake, there is a private air field out there, and I don't know the requirements for it, I race 1:10 ground at the track by the air field.

Dana Point and Doheny State Beach is a decent flying location. I didn't get any hassle there, and there are a lot of interesting shots. Here's one I did Sept 2015.

I grew up in Dana Point, didn't move for 20 years. I *loved* this. Thanks for sharing

I'm headed to Tehachapi Loop this weekend to reshoot it with my P3P, not exactly in Orange County though. I have relatives there. Last June I took this video below with my first drone, Q500+. I'm eager to try new shots of these massive trains looping over themselves.

My cousin is an Irvine cop and he says he doesn't bug anyone if they're not bugging anybody else. If he gets a call to go out there then he'll chat with them for a bit and then leave. He thinks they're cool.
I told him I will trade the P3P for his cop car for 2 batteries worth ( 30ish min would be fun)

I just ordered the White Edition GoPro3 from Amazon.com. It's the least expensive GoPro3 but it still includes Wi-Fi so I can control the camera with my iPad. I've learned, however, not to use the Wi-Fi during in-flight operations as the 2.4ghz range that the wi-fi signal operates on can interfere with the radio controller! Not good. I was really hoping to use the Wi-Fi for some limited FPV usage, even though I knew it would have a several second delay. I guess I'll half to shell out for a real FPV system!

Any suggestions? I didn't have any FPV system on my DJI F550, just a low-buck home built camera mount.
I live in HB! HIT ME UP Craig.Bennett@national resourcesinc.com. I'm looking for someone to fly with.

Reactions: XFlite
That's actually kind of disgusting how man has changed the California coast.
It's pretty sad how some self righteous people overlook the human safety and economic benefits with the tradeoff of constructive development for people to inhabit and utilize a nice area. I suppose if you were king you wouldn't have allowed any homes for people to live in within 5 miles of the coast, right? You're probably disgusted with Hoover and Glen canyon dams too because the water covers Indian artifacts, despite the fact these engineering marvels support human life for millions in the southwest. You're in the minority, and as Spock once said, the needs of the many are greater than the needs of the few.

Reactions: metal69rock
I'm in Huntington Beach. Hit me up if anyone wants to fly together out here. 866-450-8012 x11

Video over the beach on a clear day is stunning. Here is a holiday video my son and I made over Three Arch Bay in Laguna Beach. Unfortunately, two days after we flew, they sent a notice to all residents saying that drones were no longer allowed in the association (they can't govern the sky, but will be much harder in the future without beach access). The clear day, clear water, and empty beach made for stunning photography with this DJI P3P. enjoy.

Video over the beach on a clear day is stunning. Here is a holiday video my son and I made over Three Arch Bay in Laguna Beach. Unfortunately, two days after we flew, they sent a notice to all residents saying that drones were no longer allowed in the association (they can't govern the sky, but will be much harder in the future without beach access). The clear day, clear water, and empty beach made for stunning photography with this DJI P3P. enjoy.

Are you saying the home owners association has regulatory rights over the public beach? I thought that would have been controlled by the city.

Are you saying the home owners association has regulatory rights over the public beach? I thought that would have been controlled by the city.

The beach is public (state governed), but there is no beach access except for residents, unless you have a boat, as they were grandfathered in by the coastal commission.

Irvine has a stick up their you know what when it comes to drones and everything else. But yes any pier is great and I would say El Toro base and pretty much anywhere on Santiago Canyon road or Orchard Hills

Reactions: yawnalot29

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1