Where do you fly your phantom?

Reaction score
I just got this wonderful machine and I was not a RC hobbyist. There is an open space close to my home where I can just test it. Where do you go to fly your phantom?, where do you find new places? Have you had issues by flying in local parks ( baseball, soccer)? Do we need permits? I'll appreciate your advise, ideas and suggestions.

I travel 99% for my job and I fly mine when ever I can.
At the motel (with the managers permission)

At my clients site. (again with permission) 100% of the time they love it and love me taking a overhead still of their campus.

At my home and I keep it to the streets and at least 40 to 50f but not over 300f

Now when I go to the local recreational park I try to go when there isn't a lot of people and
never fly near or hover over people if possible.
But I always get on lookers and people that want to ask questions.
and I try to be polite as possible and ask them to hold their question until I land the craft.
and I always say please don't take this the wrong way but this craft is not a toy and I want to devote 100%
of my attention on piloting it safely.

If you do fly in a public area like a park use your best judgment. If there is a lot of people there I wouldn't even unpack the
system.
Never fly below 50 feet when there are people under it.
And if you testing a system after maintenance for goodness sake don't do it at a park. do it at a vacant lot or at your home.
And when you do close to fly at a public park do your preflight cheeks two or three times. Make darn sure there isn't any problems.

Being new to the hobby you want a solid 30 flights under your belt at least before going somewhere public.

I used to fly in my neighborhood almost daily but that gets boring after a while. I started doing some flights downtown and at my parents in pigeon forge. Got some good FPV going on at their place.

If I was at the beach id be killing that daily.

Looking at the amount of care I put into my Phantom, I think I fly here most often. :lol:

10224.jpg

If I do any mods or tweeks I go to the farm for the test flight make sure everything is ok after that pretty much anywhere never in town to many frequencies .

750r said:
If I do any mods or tweeks I go to the farm for the test flight make sure everything is ok after that pretty much anywhere never in town to many frequencies .
That is what I think watching many videos of people in the middle of a residential area. Just check one time driving down a street. There are so many ssid's popping up, one wonders if they can/could cause a problem. I live in the woods and can only fly slow and low around the trees in the yard. Only have one good place to go straight up. Open areas are some distance away.

I have 3 rules I follow to decide if a place is OK to fly:

1 - is it away from people, buildings, power lines etc.?

2 - is it away from roads

3 - is it going to draw undue attention?

I do not fly over people, homes, buildings, roads, cars, power lines/poles, or anything else that might be damaged or injured if I hit it. And I avoid flying at places where I might draw a crowd or unwanted attention. I love the shots I've seen from San Francisco, and I am going there this coming week. But I am not going to fly from Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry Building, etc.

SilentAV8R,
If you get a chance, send me some California HEAT. We're still very cold here in Michigan.

SilentAV8R said:

I do not fly over people, homes, buildings, roads, cars, power lines/poles, or anything else that might be damaged or injured if I hit it. And I avoid flying at places where I might draw a crowd or unwanted attention. I love the shots I've seen from San Francisco, and I am going there this coming week. But I am not going to fly from Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry Building, etc.

I'm taking your good advice from now on! Don't draw attention to yourself, just what I need...

iPad using Tapatalk

SilentAV8R said:

I'm going to use your rules from now on! Good advice. I don't want to draw attention to myself anymore....

iPad using Tapatalk

Good solid advice.

SilentAV8R said:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers