Where do I fly in Frankfurt?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just arrived in Frankfurt. I'm staying at Marriott near Festhalle/Messe train station. I was wondering where I could go to fly my drone and capture nice scenery. Hopefully it is accessible by train. I have two nights here's so I hope someone could recommend me somewhere to go record some wonderful videos.

Thanks!

Some info below from
Civilian drones and the legal issues surrounding their use -
(This is 1.5 years old and I suggest to confirm the rules haven't changed)

My comments:
Frankfurt has a LOT of air traffic, so know where the airports are and fly accordingly.
While it would be cool to film a cathedral, castle or other structure, keep in mind these areas attract a lot of people. I have found that some places that are crowded during the day can be virtually abandoned at sunrise. But I'd still check with the authorities prior to flying.
Read up on the copyright private property and surveillance protections in that link.
Your not in the US and its easy to transfer the mindset of the protections we have from unjust prosecutions to our time in other countries where the laws maybe vastly different.
I consider my time traveling in other countries or cities a valuable commodity. As such, if I plan on flying there, I research the regulations well in advance.

From that link:
Permit to fly
The reverse conclusion of this definition is that civilian drones which are used for the purposes of sport or recreation are subject to less stringent rules under the German Aviation Act.

Where drones are used for purely private purposes, an obligation to apply for a permit to fly them applies if the drone weighs more than 5 kilogrammes. Otherwise there is no obligation to apply for a permit.

Furthermore, pilots of private civilian drones less than 5 kilogrammes are subject to no specific aviation legal requirements. For example, pilots are not required to prove knowledge of aviation rules. There are also no age restrictions, meaning that any person, including children and teenagers, can fly such unmanned aircraft.

Restrictions
Some restrictions do apply to flying civilian drones for private use: a minimum distance of 1.5 km has to be kept from airports; special no-fly zones apply in the government district in Berlin; and some federal states also prohibit flights over military bases and nuclear power plants. Flights over industrial complexes, accident scenes and public gatherings require official permission from the relevant authorities (§ 6(4) no. 1 LuftVO).

The drone has to stay within the sight of the person flying it, i.e. in an open area and at a maximum distance of 200 – 300 metres away. Some federal states also restrict the height of such flights to between 30 and 100 metres.

Risk to aviation safety
These restrictions the free use of airspace by civilian drone pilots shows that the legislature has sought to guarantee air traffic safety. Where unmanned aerial vehicles have the potential to endanger aviation safety, the restriction on the use of unmanned aircraft fulfils the purpose of aviation law.

Unmanned aerial vehicles pose an increased risk in comparison to other air traffic. An unmanned flying system consists of the drone itself, the ground station and the communication technology. There are therefore three possible sources of error. The legislation reflects that the safe integration of civilian drone traffic into the available airspace is fraught with uncertainty and still needs to be mastered.

What hotel floor are you staying on, and do you have an open window advantage?

Take the elevator to the penthouse, and find an access panel to the heavens. J/K

Post video of your colorful experiences. Thanks

RedHotPoker

I have a feeling they will be a lot more laid back than the USA. I still can't believe you cant fly in the national parks! Millions of acres of NOTHING! You can carry a 44 magnum but not use a drone - crazy!!!

I challenge rather invite you to, Come & get caught in a Canadian National Park, while well armed. ;-)
You will have a meet and greet with the PARK Rangers and then for the big welcome committee be a guest with our finest, R.C.M.P. And have a courteous delivered breakfast, all on us.
Then you will visit some of our most respected citizens, in black robes. Such as Judge Dread.

Bring a friend, stay a while. Longer.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: bobmyers
I challenge rather invite you to, Come & get caught in a Canadian National Park, while well armed. ;-)
You will have a meet and greet with the PARK Rangers and then for the big welcome committee be a guest with our finest, R.C.M.P. And have a courteous delivered breakfast, all on us.
Then you will visit some of our most respected citizens, in black robes. Such as Judge Dread.

Bring a friend, stay a while. Longer.

RedHotPoker

Is Canada now officially part of the USA then?

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent
Are we Canadian's, American? Hahaha No,

We have our own moral high ground, up here. ;-)

image.jpeg

This is your free complimentary breakfast. A ripe peach, Greek yogurt, and some apple slices.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: bobmyers
Thanks guys. I like how we could discuss flying in Frankfurt and end up with a picture of a peach that looks like a poach egg :)

What hotel floor are you staying on, and do you have an open window advantage?

Take the elevator to the penthouse, and find an access panel to the heavens. J/K

Post video of your colorful experiences. Thanks

RedHotPoker
I'm staying on the 26 floor at Marriott. Unfortunately the window doesn't open up much. The view up here is fantastic though

Perhaps then it's a peached egg? ;-)

I hope that you can find a quality place to take off from and to land, with plenty of awesome and exciting scenery, in between.

Enjoy your trip and have a great time.

The gimbal works well, while hand held, holding the Phantom 3 up to the window glass for us.

RedHotPoker

Perhaps then it's a peached egg? ;-)

I hope that you can find a quality place to take off from and to land, with plenty of awesome and exciting scenery, in between.

Enjoy your trip and have a great time.

The gimbal works well, while hand held, holding the Phantom 3 up to the window glass for us.

RedHotPoker
Thank you. I sure do hope so. I just don't want people to start coming up to me and crowd around. I hate that so much.

Garrie,
Wow, That was spectacular. Syncro timing, with the edit and music, awesome music choice and really wonderful scenes. You certainly captured many interesting landmarks, and showed us the bustling metropolis. A great job.Thank you, most enjoyable. Do more. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Hahaha, that was just an appetizer...
The knock out is about to be served.
image.jpeg

Yes, there is definitely flap jacks with maple syrup and Canadian back bacon on the next entrée, Mushrooms too, just for you. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Save me a cell, I'm on my way ......[emoji379]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4