Where can you fly now a days

Reaction score
So I go to a park in long island NY. No kids.. nothing going on. I get a code enforcement dork tell me I can't fly here cause of a previous incident. I know u can't fly in NYC but in a empty park? Am I missing something here on the regulations.

Reactions: Ti22
Every Barney in the world can’t wait to flex their new found power to defend the nation from drone attacks!

I spend weeks at a time in NYC area and I almost brought my P1 with me this last trip but the more I looked into “where” I might fly, I became discouraged and decided to forget it.

As you may recall, in recent weeks we’ve had the US Open moron and yesterday on the news somebody lost their P2 and it hit a house in NJ, I believe. OMG the horror! The family inside were so scared it might be “carrying” something dangerous. GMAFB…

So good luck with the current attitudes and media insistence to “scare the **** out of people” over something that’s not any more dangerous than a ball off of a bat.

Luckily, around my home in SD there’s an awesome flying club with their own field so I pretty much stick close to that sanctuary. I wished I could find something like that around NYC but so far no luck.

Get used to it. Everybody hates photographers and since Phantoms carry cameras, they’re gonna hate on us too.

Plus, the news media's so desperate and bored they’re ready, willing and able to whip up as much “drone” scare as possible.

But to quote the late Will Rogers - “Just be thankful we’re not getting all of the government we’re paying for.”

Reactions: kjar211
Every Barney in the world can’t wait to flex their new found power to defend the nation from drone attacks!
. . . .
But to quote the late Will Rogers - “Just be thankful we’re not getting all of the government we’re paying for.”

To bad both Will Rodgers and Mark Twain aren't around anymore to quote on "dronephobia"... I'm sure they'd come up with some gems.:)

Their really unique brand humor would go a long way to disarm the paranoia that our one sided press and media spew out everyday about drones.

Yea the way they act when they are you flying is they think I'm going to crash it. If you use caution and operate responsibly I don't see an issue. It was Fri,kids at school park was empty. I posted the video on YouTube where you see the square badge drive up on he at the end.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yea the way they act when they are you flying is they think I'm going to crash it. If you use caution and operate responsibly I don't see an issue. It was Fri,kids at school park was empty. I posted the video on YouTube where you see the square badge drive up on he at the end.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Every time we fly we take risks that we'll loose control of our copters and potentially harm someone or damage property.

You seemed to be cautious and flew when there was no one around but no matter how good of a pilot you were these copters more often then you know take off and no matter what you do keep flying out of control. They're pretty complicated machines and only the smallest thing malfunctioning can cause a run away...

Don't think just being cautious can stop an accident.... bad things happen to all kinds of people.:eek:

If you can, think about not flying in neighborhoods and look for somewhere much more deserted....

Reactions: cheebs
Completely understood. I spspoke with the town parks dept.he called me back. He said it's a new thing with drones and no real rules on it. He said is it had powered I said no. He said use your discretion. He said no one is around be cautious but no rules to remove it from park.

Completely understood. I spspoke with the town parks dept.he called me back. He said it's a new thing with drones and no real rules on it. He said is it had powered I said no. He said use your discretion. He said no one is around be cautious but no rules to remove it from park.
Sounds like the guy was just doing his job and trying to protect the people in the area. In a way you can't blame him... if he hadn't said anything and something had happened, guess who his supervisor would have blamed?

He sounds like an honest official just trying to do his job. You don't often hear someone in his position saying just "use your discretion".

"He said is it had powered I said no."

I really don't understand what you're saying here? Was he asking if it was "powered"?

Sounds like the guy was just doing his job and trying to protect the people in the area. In a way you can't blame him... if he hadn't said anything and something had happened, guess who his supervisor would have blamed?

He sounds like an honest official just trying to do his job. You don't often hear someone in his position saying just "use your discretion".

The guy in the office was nice. He said use your discretion. The guy in the car telling me not to fly it was doing the enforcing

I really don't understand what you're saying here? Was he asking if it was "powered"?
I'm sorry he wanted to know if it was gas powered drone I said no and in return he said use your descretion.

Reactions: Ti22
I'm sorry he wanted to know if it was gas powered drone I said no and in return he said use your descretion.
Thanks for the clarification. Seemed there might be a key word missing.

Yeah, I’m a member of an electric flying club in San Diego which leases land from the city. The only reason that relationship “flies” is the fact there’s no “wet fuel” birds allowed to operate on city property.

I do spend great deal of my working time in NYC and I’ve followed this thread because I would love to someday capture aerial hobby footage but don’t wanna make the evening news doing it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31