Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Where can I fly in San Francisco?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zelius92, Feb 28, 2016.

1. zelius92

Hey guys, where can I fly around SF? The B4UFLY app of the FAA says all of SF is restricted, but when I checked UAV Forcast app, it says only a few areas in SF are restricted. What is it really?

Attached Files:

2. zelius92

And what authority can I ask to be sure?

3. flpholt

b4ufly app is stupid I go of uav one and dji

4. Kman

I fly all over SF. No problems.

zelius92 likes this.
  5. shorttimer

I wanted to ask the same question. SF is such a beautiful city and I think it would be great to be able to fly there. The next time I go to CA I plan to take my P3 with me. I saw an interview of a woman, I believe she was with the parks department. They were interviewing her on TV regarding flying drones in SF. She said you can fly and photograph even the Golden Gate Bridge but you can't fly low over the traffic lanes.I think she meant you could fly out a ways and film it that way. Also are you allowed to take your P3 to Treasure Island and fly from there? Just wondering.

zelius92 likes this.
  6. ChristopherGlenn

Most of the coast line is Golden Gate Rec Area - AKA national park - AKA no fly zone. No go on *most of the islands (that are named and you have heard of), they tend to be some sort of national park as well. All but ~40 acres are owned by S.F., and should be fair game. YMMV...

7. Mulls

Treasure Island is great. Don't fly on the beach or by Golden Gate Bridge, I've heard second hand they're starting to patrol that pretty closely because it is national park land. Also, ranges will be hit or miss, wifi signals everywhere. That said, there are beautiful bits to capture, just be safe.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

8. John Locke

Yes, Treasure Island is good, I have a friend who recently flew there and said it was a good site. Below is a flight launched from here at Baker Beach, San Francisco (not part of the national park, that flew out to the middle of the Golden Gate bridge on the ocean side of the bridge. It's about 1.5mi from the launch site to the middle of the bridge. This GG flight site is a great place, one that's on my bucket list. Here's the guy's video, really good stuff.

#8 John Locke, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  9. CactusJackSlade

Although very cool.... the above video is EXTREMELY risky and DANGEROUS. Over 800 feet AGL a lot of the time in a very high air traffic area! (the towers of the Golden Gate are 750 feet). Recepie for disaster, especially when out in the "middle" of the bay like that.

Be especially careful or totally avoid the Fishermans Warf / Pier 39 area... the tour helicopters fly down to about 200 feet... maybe lower. I was surprised last time I was there (about 3 weeks ago) thinking GEEZE... arn't these guys supposed to be at 500 feet??! I guess they are all in controlled airspace and thus would be getting permission from the local tower.... presumably. I could easily see a big problem flying near that area.

Just be very careful, I saw some small planes very low as well.... but closer to 500 feet, but still...

#9 CactusJackSlade, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  10. John Locke

Oh no, that's not my plan. You won't find me going that high nor that far. To the center and back is all I'd want to do, and I'd likely hug the bridge, about 100' above road level (300' ASL) and 200' away from the bridge on the ocean side of the road. You won't find helicopters where I'll be flying, I'll be too close to the structure.

11. ChristopherGlenn

Be careful, most SF beaches, including Baker beach are part of the Golden Gate National Rec area. Covered by the national park drone ban according to the FAA.

12. turbulence