Where are the good places to fly?

Reaction score
Fly, that is, without encroaching on private property, angering people, drawing the law down on one's head, or running into trees. Perhaps we could put together a list of Good Places to Fly. I'll start with the U.S.

My site of choice is OGM, the Ontonagon County Airport near Ontonagon in the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This nearly deserted rural airport (two or three aircraft operations a week) has a 7-member r/c model club that flies off a large asphalt ramp and off a huge cropped lawn about half a mile square. The club follows AMA rules and keeps an eye out for aircraft in the landing pattern. The lawn has been the perfect open space for a noob (me) to learn his Phantom 1.1.1, and the airport manager not only knows all about it but comes out to watch me fly. Folks in these parts are not only interested but also encouraging.

The airport has a nice pilot lounge with bathroom and coffeepot. There are no crowds.

Downside: There are no fantastic views of mountains, valleys, Caribbean beaches or urban skylines. Just a lot of forests, rivers and Lake Superior shorelines. Since this is an airport, wind can be a factor in comfortable flying, but the wide open spaces gives you a chance to learn to deal with breeze and gusts.

I've flown at a number of public parks and have not had any issues. Generally, there's no assumption of privacy at a public park, and as long as you're not right over residences you're fine. That doesn't mean you won't ever have anyone get mad, but for the most part public settings are fine, just don't linger over crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the enthusiasm but wouldn't such a list be tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of items, similar to listing places to buy a newspaper? Moreover, I'm wondering if a linear thread which is the form a list would take here, is appropriate to that type of data. I would think a searchable spreadsheet would be better. Lastly, does everyone want to share their flying spot?

HenryKisor said:
Fly, that is, without encroaching on private property, angering people, drawing the law down on one's head, or running into trees. Perhaps we could put together a list of Good Places to Fly. I'll start with the U.S.

My site of choice is OGM, the Ontonagon County Airport near Ontonagon in the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This nearly deserted rural airport (two or three aircraft operations a week) has a 7-member r/c model club that flies off a large asphalt ramp and off a huge cropped lawn about half a mile square. The club follows AMA rules and keeps an eye out for aircraft in the landing pattern. The lawn has been the perfect open space for a noob (me) to learn his Phantom 1.1.1, and the airport manager not only knows all about it but comes out to watch me fly. Folks in these parts are not only interested but also encouraging.

The airport has a nice pilot lounge with bathroom and coffeepot. There are no crowds.

Downside: There are no fantastic views of mountains, valleys, Caribbean beaches or urban skylines. Just a lot of forests, rivers and Lake Superior shorelines. Since this is an airport, wind can be a factor in comfortable flying, but the wide open spaces gives you a chance to learn to deal with breeze and gusts.

I'm working on a project that has helped me define the limits you're asking about. I'm capturing the best shots I can of all the recognizable landmarks in the my small hometown outside Boston. So I've gone to parks, schools, churches, farms, a lake, an old stone bridge, a lake, a golf course, etc. For downtown locations like the local butcher shop, I go shortly after sunrise on a weekday - there's no one around and I get great video.

If there are people present, or if it's a business, I always introduce myself and tell them what I plan to do. No one has had any objection or concern... mostly they ask how they can see the video and the usual bird questions (how high, how far, how much). I joined the AMA, which offers insurance to its members. It helps to tell people something like "...this isn't a toy I bought at Sharper Image. I'm insured and I always stay with FAA guidelines."

I'm still not clear on why I would need such a list nor who would want to maintain a list of hundreds of thousands of places. Imagine the time that would take. The list that I use is in my memory of places to go to fly.

andy238 said:
I'm working on a project that has helped me define the limits you're asking about. I'm capturing the best shots I can of all the recognizable landmarks in the my small hometown outside Boston. So I've gone to parks, schools, churches, farms, a lake, an old stone bridge, a lake, a golf course, etc. For downtown locations like the local butcher shop, I go shortly after sunrise on a weekday - there's no one around and I get great video.

If there are people present, or if it's a business, I always introduce myself and tell them what I plan to do. No one has had any objection or concern... mostly they ask how they can see the video and the usual bird questions (how high, how far, how much). I joined the AMA, which offers insurance to its members. It helps to tell people something like "...this isn't a toy I bought at Sharper Image. I'm insured and I always stay with FAA guidelines."

I had thought it would be easy to check local cities regarding their laws or ordinances for flying UAV's, but it's not easy to find the information or someone to contact.

A rep from one city--Mountain View, California--replied to my question about flying UAV's basically said that flying UAV's is permitted only in designated areas, BUT given that they do not have any designated areas, flying UAV's is NOT permitted anywhere in their city!

I've tried checking with other local cities through their websites, and have found information or contacts to be elusive.

HenryKisor,
Ah, a Youper! Been a while since I have been in your area. Lake of the clouds is really something else. Mouth of the Carp river, nice. North and East a little and Brockway Mountain drive would be a fantastic place to fly. Funny that the ice left the Munising area last week. AH, cold, cold Michigan.
I agree several have the right idea. Your list would get so big you would have to hire help to maintain it.

My parents live on a mountain with an overlook of Sevierville on the back side and Pigeon Forge on the front side.

The views are awesome and I get some real long distance (imo) FPV flights with beautiful scenery!

This won't help you out though lol

I hear all of you. What you say makes sense . . . for now.

But as municipalities, states, provinces and countries increasingly regulate drone flying, it may come to pass that we will need a list of places to go in order to fly at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers