When trying to shut motors down they rev up high and flips

Reaction score
Have some strangeness going on with a phantom 2 vision I have been trying to repair.
any time I have the motors runing and go to stop the motors using the CLC command by pushing both the sticks down and to the center The motors Rev up rally hard and violently causing the phantom to hop up in the air and flip over. Every time. when starting them they start fine and only seems to do it when trying to shut them off. Only way it dont do it is if I pull the left stick straight down first then the move them both to the bottom center. Then it stops them fine.

But I also noticed when i do it the normal way and it causes the motors to rev up and it flips over. my battery keep poping out and I thought it was from it flipping over. But today I noticed even if I am holding on to it so it cant flip that the battery would pop out every time the motors revved up when trying to stop them. They go for idle to full speed in a slip second and rev up so high it actually is causing the body to flex and is whats causing the battery to pop out about 1/4 inch each time.

This is really starting to vex me and this motor reving to full power any time I try to shut it down is the last issue I need to sort out before I can ever try to test it out more fully.

And being I have brand new motors new escs to even try and rule out if it was the transmitter causing the problem I even tried two other transmitters to my other phantoms and they cause the high rev and flip also when doing the down and center motor stop command.

So any one else have any ideas what the heck can still be wrong??????????

Re: When trying to shut motors down they rev up high and fli

The safe way to shut down is just to land and pull the left stick straight down and hold it against the stop. I worried that when you try to do the CLC your putting in descend, yaw right, backup, and roll left commands. (for example) It easy to imagine all sorts of nasty things that might happen.

I seen a video by Simon at the kitchen table talking about disarming the motors and also noticed his would some what do the same thing to if doing to down and to the inside on both sticks and suggested just using the left stick down. Tho I notice that does seem to work great for shutting off the motors. But just discovered another new problem thats going to make things harry mine will also shut the motors off by pulling the left stick down even when the phantom is in the air and its still descending. I know its not supposed to do that in less the naza is not sensing that its lowering any more. So not thats making me think I also have some ting wrong with the naza and I already have to much time and way to much money tied up in to this pos to even be thinking about replacing that to. Now I'm really regretting not just blowing it up or using it for target practice on the 4th of july. before dumping even money money in tho this thing.

Learn how to hand catch, bring it down slowly to where it is beside you and around 2ft above you. I'm right handed so I find it easiest to grab the bottom of a skid with my right hand and with my left I hold throttle straight down fully until motors shut off. No revving and no chance of tipping over like ground landing so no broken props

So just wondering why CLC works just fine for me and others.
If this was the cause of J.James issue... wouldn't everybody be experiencing the same thing? I mean... our controllers are all sending out the same signals when we perform the CLC dance.

If this was the cause of J.James issue... wouldn't everybody be experiencing the same thing? I mean... our controllers are all sending out the same signals when we perform the CLC dance.

YA nether of my fc40s do any thing funky at all when doing the clc the motors just stop. never once had any problem with that on them.

Learn how to hand catch, bring it down slowly to where it is beside you and around 2ft above you. I'm right handed so I find it easiest to grab the bottom of a skid with my right hand and with my left I hold throttle straight down fully until motors shut off. No revving and no chance of tipping over like ground landing so no broken props

Hand catching would work cept were on the phantom 2 vision I have id be having to hand catch it as its falling from full speed from the sky considering just pulling back the left stick for some reason shuts off the motors even when its flying and trying to descend. So till I can figure out why its doing that when its not supposed to I cant fly it being there will be no way to land it in less. I can fly it over a big pile of pillows or a some really big marshmallows and just let it fall straight down when its time to land it.

Marshmallows! We just all need a bunch of really big marshmallows!

My P2V did the same thing until I calibrated the TX in version 3.0 of the Assistant software. It still revs a little bit, but not as bad as it did before calibration. John Shaw has the fool-proof solution. Left stick to the bottom, then to the right and then move the right stick down and to the left. All separate motions.:)

Good Luck, Fly safe!

Happned to me, all calibrated and on latest soft. (p2v+)
Very irritated on my self reading about it before in the forums here and "in my head" decided then to only use left (throttle) down to shut motors but forgot.

Did switch props to fresh ones to be safe, no other damage from the event.

Also have started to catch in air, and then using only left stick is the way to go.

-Tomas

ProfessorStein said:

I don't disagree at all that CLC should work and does. If done properly. It works for you so it's a non-issue for you.
But my reference to scary possibilities is if someone doesn't do it correctly...
For example...
They start moving the sticks in before they start them down - they start the Phantom trying to yaw to the right and roll (move) to the left, then they get the sticks moving down - the Phantom is still trying to yaw right and move left, and now starts to try to move backwards. This will cause some of the motors to speed up and could cause a flip. By the time the sticks get to the proper CLC position it may be to late.
OR
They start moving the stick down before the start them in - the Phantom tries to back up, then they get the sticks moving in and the Phantom that is trying to move backwards now starts trying to yaw right and moving to the left. Again some motor will speed up and could cause a flip.
And there are many other possible incorrect motions.
So I fully agree the CLC works if you do it right. If it works for you, as it should, great.
But I do think it can set up some people or any of us at some time to a landing disaster.
I have just chosen to use the simpler, safer option. For a landing I've brought the Phantom to a hover and I am easing the left stick down for a soft landing. When it touches down I just complete the left stick downward motion and hold it till the motors stop. There are no potential lateral inputs that could cause motor to speed up.

There are setting in the assistant that effect motor shut down so the stick all the way down will not shut down motors in flight.

Even on the fc40 there there dont seem to even be any real wrong way to do the CLC command it dont even seem to try and move if its on the ground and you push both sticks to the inside while they are centered. even if I try to do it deliberately wrong the worse it ever seems to do if you don't do it right is it just don't shut them off and you have to do it again. Tho on the phantom it seems real touchy. Even if you just move the left stick to the side it trys to make the motors spin to try and make it yaw even when its on the ground and not flying.

If the motors are shutting down in flight with full left stick down its because the motor control setting ( cut off type) in the assistant needs changing from "immediate" to "intelligent" ;)

When I go in the phantom 2 assistant software I see on the first tab page that says view that is saying its set for intelligent on the cut off type. Tho for the life of me I cant figure out were the page is if some one wanted to change that or the motor idle settings.

for my FC40 which just uses DJI nazam assistant 2.2 there is an entire page for the intelligent motor cut off and setting the idol speeds of the motors. and there also is a area you can test the motors to that I don't see in any of the versions of the phantom 2 assistant. Even in naza or phantom mode.

J.James said:

YA nether of my fc40s do any thing funky at all when doing the clc the motors just stop. never once had any problem with that on them.

Hand catching would work cept were on the phantom 2 vision I have id be having to hand catch it as its falling from full speed from the sky considering just pulling back the left stick for some reason shuts off the motors even when its flying and trying to descend. So till I can figure out why its doing that when its not supposed to I cant fly it being there will be no way to land it in less. I can fly it over a big pile of pillows or a some really big marshmallows and just let it fall straight down when its time to land it.

If pulling down on the left stick cuts the motors while in flight, you obviously have a serious problem with your P2V. Have you tried to contact DJI's tech support? I know... This would require setting aside an hour or so, taking a few No Doze(tm) and having the patience of St. Jude... But... You might want to take a shot at that...

-slinger

Id like to avoid even trying to deal with DJI if I can find out the problem or the solution in less time or frustration then it would be to try and get hold of DJI esp considering from other stuff I have seen with others they don't seem to even know as much about there product as Some of there customers do. Seems DJI if some one can ever even get hold of them. Just knows to say to buy some new part or send it back to ware it came from Which in my case is not possible being I bought it second hand from some one else that ave up trying and also I think to really send it back to ware it came would mean hell.

From what I think i'm understanding about the way the phantoms work its some thing in the naza controller such as the altimeter or the Inertia sensor in the naza controller. Making it think its not in the air to let it cut the motors off.

John Shaw said:
ProfessorStein said:

I don't disagree at all that CLC should work and does. If done properly. It works for you so it's a non-issue for you.
But my reference to scary possibilities is if someone doesn't do it correctly...
For example...
They start moving the sticks in before they start them down - they start the Phantom trying to yaw to the right and roll (move) to the left, then they get the sticks moving down - the Phantom is still trying to yaw right and move left, and now starts to try to move backwards. This will cause some of the motors to speed up and could cause a flip. By the time the sticks get to the proper CLC position it may be to late.
OR
They start moving the stick down before the start them in - the Phantom tries to back up, then they get the sticks moving in and the Phantom that is trying to move backwards now starts trying to yaw right and moving to the left. Again some motor will speed up and could cause a flip.
And there are many other possible incorrect motions.
So I fully agree the CLC works if you do it right. If it works for you, as it should, great.
But I do think it can set up some people or any of us at some time to a landing disaster.
I have just chosen to use the simpler, safer option. For a landing I've brought the Phantom to a hover and I am easing the left stick down for a soft landing. When it touches down I just complete the left stick downward motion and hold it till the motors stop. There are no potential lateral inputs that could cause motor to speed up.

There are setting in the assistant that effect motor shut down so the stick all the way down will not shut down motors in flight.

I've been very careful, and still inadvertently dialed in enough yaw to drop it on its props. Left stick all the way down is the way to go, and IMHO hand landing...

-slinger

J.James said:
Id like to avoid even trying to deal with DJI if I can find out the problem or the solution in less time or frustration then it would be to try and get hold of DJI esp considering from other stuff I have seen with others they don't seem to even know as much about there product as Some of there customers do. Seems DJI if some one can ever even get hold of them. Just knows to say to buy some new part or send it back to ware it came from Which in my case is not possible being I bought it second hand from some one else that ave up trying and also I think to really send it back to ware it came would mean hell.

From what I think i'm understanding about the way the phantoms work its some thing in the naza controller such as the altimeter or the Inertia sensor in the naza controller. Making it think its not in the air to let it cut the motors off.

Could be the barometer, no?

-slinger

I was thinking barometer or the Inertia sensor unit or both. But I think it was the inertia unit. (aka the IMU) I seen some posts about them some times getting stuck after a hard impact in a crash and a fix that involved dropping it on a hard surface. and I did that and advanced IMU calibration a few times and now I THINK its working right. I did a simulated flight with the props off by holding it in one hand and the tx in the other and moved it around like it was flying it around the house. in a wavy up and down motion and then pulled down on the left stick whole lowering it down and moving it side to side. and even after about 10 seconds of holding the stick down it don't shut off till I stop moving it set it down. Then it shuts off after about 3 seconds. like its supposed to. WOOT HOO. and as far as needed to use just the left stick down to disarm the motors I can live with that being it seems the possibility of flipped over if using the 2 stick csc command seems to be some what normal for these phantom 2s and the visions. Tho my fc40s don't do that at all I should get in the habit of still only using the left stick down even when using the FC40 so that I don't have to adjust my method between either of the 2 phantoms.

Now Its one more step closer to being rehabilitated and maybe it can get some real air time some time soon. Just need to get a good non bunk battery and I should be almost all set. First battery that was a real dji one was DOA right from the get go and has a bad cell in it and the pack is wacked. 2nd one I tried to buy from a after market dealer turned out to be a scam and they never sent any thing. So now i hope the 3rd try to find a battery turns out the be the charm.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj