When to buy

Reaction score
I've flown 500-size RC Helis for quite some time and am looking to make the jump to aerial videography with a Phantom.

My question is when is a good time to buy considering:
  • New lightbridge just announced - I assume it will be integrated into the next model
  • What is the Phantom release cycle (is it like apple where they come out with new one every so often)
  • With the holidays coming up are there typically any sales?

If you were going to buy, when would you jump in?

Thanks for the help, looking forward to joining the community officially shortly!

Nate

There's quite a few older models for sale on eBay at good prices that you might want to look at. A few even come with a carrying case and extra batteries. That way you could see if you like the DJI products and get some aerial videography experience.

Now is a good time to buy, imho. I expect it will be a year before LB2 to be in Phantom. I expect LB2 to be released initially in the Inspire 2, but this is only a guess from a marketing point of view. Phantom is so far ahead of the competition right now there's really no threat from a performance price and feature point of view. Lightbridge 2 is cool but not a game changer. It will be a"nice to have". Sure, 1080 downlink is great, but not that important unless you're doing live broadcast, and if you're doing that you really should have the Inspire anyway. The other advantage of LB2 of lower latency is nice too, but again it's not a significant change that affects much for a camera platform. Don't buy anything used unless it's at least a Phantom 3 which gives you Lightbridge.

Reactions: Vanjo Grale
Thanks guys for the quick response, sounds like Lightbridge 2 wouldnt be a game changer for me.

Do you remember if they went on sale last holiday season?

More importantly, the sooner you jump in, the more freedom you will have to shoot. The longer you wait, to more restrictions that will be imposed upon you. It's inevitable! Do it today! :cool: Even with no additional restrictions, think of all the one time opportunities you will be giving up that you could be shooting, while you otherwise wait for the best price/perfect drone.

Thanks OP for this post. I was literally just about to post the same question. Specifically, if it's wise to buy a P3P right now. I have two P2V+ models I'm trying to sell and turn it into one P3P. Want LightBridge and 4K. But I'd be pretty sad if next spring the P4 was announced and I had little use of the P3P over the winter.

Thanks OP for this post. I was literally just about to post the same question. Specifically, if it's wise to buy a P3P right now. I have two P2V+ models I'm trying to sell and turn it into one P3P. Want LightBridge and 4K. But I'd be pretty sad if next spring the P4 was announced and I had little use of the P3P over the winter.
Count on it. DJI announces their new line every spring. P4 in spring of 2016! But, by then, the NFZ will be so locked down and laws and FAA regs so restrictive that you won't be able to fly at all! :eek: As they say in real estate, "Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate and wait." :cool: Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today, and enjoy again tomorrow! :D

You guys are very convincing, I think I'm going to pull the trigger soon. Do you think there will any sales around black friday or the holidays?

You guys are very convincing, I think I'm going to pull the trigger soon. Do you think there will any sales around black friday or the holidays?
Buy from Amazon for a 30 day return without too much quibbling, in case you crash, or end up with a rare DOA unit. Buy from B&H to save sales tax. P3's aren't likely to be discounted, although you might save by buying a bundled second battery with purchase, or a DJI hard backpack case.
Shoot me! Shoot me! (You said you wanted to pull the trigger...). :cool:

Shoot me! Shoot me!
Moving-animated-picture-of-monkey-shooting-a-gun.gif

What about eBay? A lightly used model?

What about eBay? A lightly used model?
This is a $1,250 flying tripod with a gimbal attached $600 camera. Do you really want a lightly used one or a refurb? When it crashes over water and goes sinking to the bottom of the ocean, will the few dollars you saved by buying used be your priority? Get a new one, and you won't have to worry about hidden cracks and unseen damage caused by the prior owner that will lead to premature failure! No one buys a used quadcopter, except for spare parts. Too risky! Stop focusing on the purchase price, and concentrate on how you will make it pay for itself, in saved helicopter rentals at $500+/hour! :cool:

Sorry, I should've clarified my question was asking about people's opinion's on the prices of P3P's on eBay. We fundamentally disagree on the value of carefully selecting a quad on eBay vs. new, which is fine. Let's no get derailed by that side point. :) It's more a question of if the prices on eBay are worth the not-brand-new status. GadgetGuy, perhaps you still feel the same even from that point of view.

I'm seeing prices on completed auctions of good condition birds around $900-$1100. In the $800's and below you get into birds that have been crashed. If you got one $900-$1000, also no tax on an auction, that's a chunk of savings. I think $1100 starts getting close to the point where it's not worth sacrificing the brand-new benefit. :)

Sorry, I should've clarified my question was asking about people's opinion's on the prices of P3P's on eBay. We fundamentally disagree on the value of carefully selecting a quad on eBay vs. new, which is fine. Let's no get derailed by that side point. :) It's more a question of if the prices on eBay are worth the not-brand-new status. GadgetGuy, perhaps you still feel the same even from that point of view.

I'm seeing prices on completed auctions of good condition birds around $900-$1100. In the $800's and below you get into birds that have been crashed. If you got one $900-$1000, also no tax on an auction, that's a chunk of savings. I think $1100 starts getting close to the point where it's not worth sacrificing the brand-new benefit. :)
Personally, I wouldn't buy a used quad, period. A total loss from a drowned bird, at any used purchase price, won't make up for saving a couple of hundred dollars in the purchase price. YMMV. Think of it this way. Why would anyone be selling a slightly used P3P? Most likely, they crashed it and fixed it, but still don't trust it enough themselves, so they buy another one new, and sell their "slightly" used one on eBay for as much as possible, and blame any resulting crash on pilot error.

When you buy a used flying machine, you have to trust all the representations made by the seller, who may or may not even know if they are true themselves, if they are selling for someone else. What exactly does "lightly used" mean, anyway, when it comes to a P3P? There is no standard.

If you want to save paying sales tax, buy new from B&H. If you want a 30 day return, even if you crash, buy new directly from Amazon. If you like to gamble, buy used from eBay. Personally, I wouldn't. :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31