When should I replace my props?

Reaction score
I had a couple little hickups today.
I set my P2V+ down in some thick grass. The props ate the grass up pretty good. Took like 15 minutes to clean the shell off with alcohol swabs. Briefly had a "gimble motor is blocked" message, but that went away. I don't know why, as I didn't do anything. Gimble seems fine and works.

My son, Shane was flying the Phantom after that. He hit a rock upon landing and the bird flipped over and the motors automagically shut off.

The props have really been taking a beating today.
When should they be replaced? They don't appear damaged, and the quad flies.

ANY nicks, notches, bends, deformities, dirt, etc. Just for a start. Cracks or missing parts. Check the balance and see if they are still good. Most important: fly safer.

LostAngel said:
I set my P2V+ down in some thick grass. The props ate the grass up pretty good. Took like 15 minutes to clean the shell off with alcohol swabs. Briefly had a "gimble motor is blocked" message, but that went away. I don't know why, as I didn't do anything. Gimble seems fine and works.

My son, Shane was flying the Phantom after that. He hit a rock upon landing and the bird flipped over and the motors automagically shut off.

During summer I just turn mine over and mow the lawn. :D :D Really thou trimming the weeds or the lawn won't hurt the props. No the other hand trees, sidewalks, driveways and stones did tend to break props among other things.

jason said:
LostAngel said:

During summer I just turn mine over and mow the lawn. :D :D Really thou trimming the weeds or the lawn won't hurt the props. No the other hand trees, sidewalks, driveways and stones did tend to break props among other things.

Yeah, not too great for edging next to my concrete driveway. Oh, what is a hand tree? :)

Happyflyer said:
ANY nicks, notches, bends, deformities, dirt, etc. Just for a start. Cracks or missing parts. Check the balance and see if they are still good. Most important: fly safer.

+1

I inspect them carefully if I clip anything much less flip it over (haven't done that in a while)...

One thing I do in the field to ensure the shape hasn't been too affected is rotate each rotor manually and note the distance from the end of the blade to the shell.. If the gap of the blade is larger or smaller on any given blade... I replace it.

PhantomFanatic said:
jason said:
LostAngel said:

Yeah, not too great for edging next to my concrete driveway. Oh, what is a hand tree? :)

Come on read the whole sentence :roll: .

Buckaye said:
One thing I do in the field to ensure the shape hasn't been too affected is rotate each rotor manually and note the distance from the end of the blade to the shell.. If the gap of the blade is larger or smaller on any given blade... I replace it.
Interesting. I like that idea.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl