When people ask how much your drone cost, what do you say?

$500 for the base quadcopter and remote, and then lots more on the extras...

I haven't been doing this very long, but it's already $500 for the drone, $340 for two extra batteries, $125 for the DJI hardshell case, $150 for the tablet, $35 for a new tablet mount and adapter, $50 for a couple sets of plastic props and a carbon fiber set, $25 for Litchi, $20 for a gimbal guard, $20 for a nice gimbal lock, 128GB microsd card, and on and on and on...

*shudder*

"To infinity and beyond!"
giphy.gif

Re: When people ask how much your drone cost, what do you sa

I tell them the cost of the base. I don't elaborate on the extras because they will think i'm crazy. Between all my RC heli stuff, I've spent well over $2.5k and haven't looked back.
That $2.5k is on the very low end. I have been in the rc hobby for 28 years...rc cars, rock climbers, 5th scale(these alone range from $1-3K), boats, copters, and now these. I can't even fathom the amount I have spent..

I just tell them the true price and be done with it.

I think the reason most people lie about the price or avoid the question in this thread is that they may feel a little bit embarrased to say they spent 1000s on a "little plastic flying thing", because we know the people asking arent going to understand that actually with all the tech packed on board we actually are getting alot for our money. I guess phantoms are like Skodas or Volvos it takes a certain type of person to drive them.

Strange that some of us feel embarassed, the thing is sometimes it is difficult especially when people are with their kids and they ask you the price like they might pop down to the shop and get their 4 year old one after they leave the park.

We say;
"ERM well... there all different prices"

But really we all feel like saying;

"Well if you must know, then this P4 with 5 batteries a couple of chargers a boosted RC mod, birdside battery mod with Maxxamps batteries, a tablet, filters, a backpack, sun sheild, hydrodipped and some spare cf props ermm maybe close to 4000"

To which they would reply "4000 what, pounds?"

"Nah mate 4000 magic beans!" lol

Yeh of coarse pounds, is that not what we usually buy stuff with in England? Then you see them drag their kid away and mumble to them something like "Yeh ill get you one for xmas" lol, no you wont you liar........

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesse B.
well it depends, for example when my wife asked how much I payed for my drone.(phantom 3pro) I told her 400 dollars.
but when my friends ask me, I tell them $1600.00. just so they don't ask if they can fly it.
true story. lol :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic