When is it just too windy ?

I'm probably on the conservative side. My number is 15 mph at whatever height. I have a P2V. But 10 on the surface might be 18-19 at 400 feet (uavforecast), so I'd either not fly or stay low. I might cheat a little if it was a head wind.

When it starts to get around 12mph...I don't risk it. 12mph is "doable" but that doesn't account for quick gusts of 15-20.

I once flew when the wind speed was around 10-15 mph. However I did the safe thing and flew it into the wind. When it arrived back some distance in front of me I had a heck of a time getting it towards me. It was in front but despite the tilt angle it hardly moved. It struggled to keep position let alone move forward. Eventually I decided to take a walk so I landed it. As I got towards it I gradually walked up hill. I also got clear of surrounding bushes and trees the wind was really strong. Must have been 30+mph. Sort of wind that you have trouble walking against let alone flying.

My first point is that the wind higher up can be much stronger, and even blow in a different direction. You only need look at the clouds to see what I mean.

The other point about flying in high winds. There is a good rule of thumb to follow. If when you try to take off it keeps getting blown over or your rucksack blows away take the hint and recognise the wind is too strong. Both the above has happened to me.

Pics/vids are compromised but experienced pilots can fly in the wind. Some locations are always windy. It's ok to be a Sunday fair weather flyer too...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Windy makes for blurry pics/vids while quad tries to hold it's position. I have learn to work with the wind. Take the shot in between gusts, take off and land into the wind. Using atty mode. Learn to fly under different conditions so you know your limitations. Two kinds of flyers, those who have crashed and those who are about to crash.

I fly up to 30km/h wind, but I don't advise that to those without extended experience in ATTI, or with real RC helicopters. (I once had a rare opportunity for a shot and flew P2V in 35-40km/h winds, GPS was useless, but i got the shot and landed safely).

I always check winds aloft if planning to fly up there, can be a big difference from what's at the ground. And a good rule is to fly upwind, having the wind pushing the bird home if something comes up. My fc40 non gimbal limit is about 10 mph, P3P a bit higher.

UAV Forecast, Hover, Windcompass, Dronebuddy are all good. Weatherflow in an Anemometer

You have to look for signs.

StrongWinds_FrontPage.jpg

I learned the hard way what the winds

I've done 25-30mph sustained which required full forward throttle in gps to hold position. It was up to take pics and back down but it did maintain control. Wouldn't do it again.

upload_2016-4-1_16-5-59.png

^^ Floridian nothing to see here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4