When I see this...(check out the video then take the poll)

Shall any drone pilot obtain a "licence" before being allowed to fly a quadcopter?

• Total voters
the main problem is that you are all crazy about one idiot. worry about the whole, and right its not looking good

No I think the "Group" is more worried about ALL the idiots rather than just one. I think the problem needs to be addressed via many different sources simultaneously (education, registration, enforcement, and impounding) across the board.

I do think that required registration is going in the right direction but regardless what safety measures are put into place some people will refuse to follow/abide by them. For every one you put into place someone will figure a way around is eventually.

The problem in part is that people don't want or feel the need to prepare themselves for this type of hobby. I saw on another thread a guy asking about the basics on flying his Phantom the day before it arrived.

To me you have to have an understanding of what these things can or can't do well before you take delivery of it but that takes time and research which lots of people buying these things don't want to invest in. I always find it incredible when you see a post slating Dji because the Phantom they purchased took forever to set up and didn't fly straight out of the box! I've lost track of the amount of videos I see of people flying above crowds or populated areas thinking nothing of it but that same guy may not have ever read a post on a thread or seen a video of a prop failing and the thing dropping from the sky.

Make it compulsory to have some sort of test, license or lesson whatever you want to call it when you're flying something that is getting on for 1.5 kilos and has the potential to harm.

The problem in part is that people don't want or feel the need to prepare themselves for this type of hobby. I saw on another thread a guy asking about the basics on flying his Phantom the day before it arrived.

To me you have to have an understanding of what these things can or can't do well before you take delivery of it but that takes time and research which lots of people buying these things don't want to invest in. I always find it incredible when you see a post slating Dji because the Phantom they purchased took forever to set up and didn't fly straight out of the box! I've lost track of the amount of videos I see of people flying above crowds or populated areas thinking nothing of it but that same guy may not have ever read a post on a thread or seen a video of a prop failing and the thing dropping from the sky.

Make it compulsory to have some sort of test, license or lesson whatever you want to call it when you're flying something that is getting on for 1.5 kilos and has the potential to harm.
very true

Reactions: BigAl07
I think that people should need to get licenses to buy a bicycle too, those fools cause so many accidents. Also driving age should be raised from 16ish to 21. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

well pay your $5 and get your # on your birds if you crash they know where to go that easy, well nothing wrong with a small test on the rules flight hight ect.

Last edited:
Back when SCUBA diving was getting popular, the industry established a certification process to train new divers on how to enjoy the sport safely. Typically, a dive shop would not fill your air tank unless you were certified. Goal was to keep big government from strangling the sport with costly regulation. Thought the drone sport might be similar – but big gov FAA has already declared its authority. Sigh – so we will just have to see how the restrictions they impose will evolve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers