When I see this...(check out the video then take the poll)

Shall any drone pilot obtain a "licence" before being allowed to fly a quadcopter?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Attento, ti cade un drone in testa

I really think a small licence shall we required to fly drones. Whoever was flying on top of all those people was a complete moron. The worst part in my view is that the web (e.g. Instagram) glorifies those kind of shots, see for example all the shots with umbrellas on beaches full of people.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Hi Placidof

I agree with you that the OP is a ****...., the trouble with licencing is that only the responsible people who are not likely to fly in those circumstances would apply for or even be concerned about getting a licence.
Waylander

Reactions: RickHart
Wow. I think the guy that got hit was lucky not to suffer serious injury. Agreed. A stupid move by the operator.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi Placidof

I agree with you that the OP is a ****...., the trouble with licencing is that only the responsible people who are not likely to fly in those circumstances would apply for or even be concerned about getting a licence.
Waylander

Other problem: rich kids from the block getting the expensive toy from distracted and busy rich parents. Lot of them here in Switzerland. The other day I was running around the city lake when I spotted a group of teenagers on their 11/12 happily flying a Phantom 3 in the MIDDLE of the city. I tried to explain them in a very cool way (otherwise I would feel horribly OLD :-D ) that droning is cool and that I own a P4 as well, advising them that if the drone would fall over someone some dad would have to spend thousands of francs in liability and compensation. From their big eyes and thank you back at me I realized that literally no one took the time to explain them how to use that "toy" responsibly.

Hi Placidof
It is probably the case that young and inexperienced "Kids", might do this kind of thing and well done to you for trying to help them learn an Easy lesson.
My worry is that it might easily prove to be the case, that only when a high profile law suit ends up costing someone a lot of money, and someone else a head injury, that people will wake up to the fact that randomly flying over a crowd by an inexperienced person is a BAD idea, as well as being contrary to the accepted rules.
Waylander

Reactions: Placidof
it is stupid to say that anyone needs to be "licensed" to fly! yes, once you own a drone and have flown for a while, get licensed.

some of you guys are over worried, yes there are reckless people that dont care about the real pilots that just want to be safe.

it is stupid to say that anyone needs to be "licensed" to fly! yes, once you own a drone and have flown for a while, get licensed.

some of you guys are over worried, yes there are reckless people that dont care about the real pilots that just want to be safe.

I don't think you realize fully what drone business represents nowadays. DJI made his first BILLION on revenues in 2016. This means 500k drones sold ONLY in 2016. I do believe that among 500k people there is a large % of idiots and that's math, not an opinion. Do you want another exemple?

from minute 5.05

(we are talking about a vlogger with 1,7 Milion subscribers).

Reactions: BigAl07
it is stupid to say that anyone needs to be "licensed" to fly!
Easy now. No need to get overly harsh and mean about it. We all have opinions and have the right to express them.
yes, once you own a drone and have flown for a while, get licensed.
The rationale behind waiting until you're flown for a while to get the license doesn't really make sense at least not to me (but that's not uncommon LOL).

With that being said I would say that here in the USA the FAA Registration requirement "sort of" meets what the OP here is suggesting. By registering you are agreeing to a "Community Based set of guidelines" (even though many people didn't even read exactly what they signed and went under "contract" with) which clearly states NOT flying directly over people. If the operator had this particular aircraft "registered" the authorities could have contacted the owner and initiated some type of investigation, enforcement or even EDUCATION.

Just for the record ALL R/C aircraft owners were required to get an FCC license prior to flying their aircraft back many many moons ago. No one complained about it but that was about 30 years before the interweeb too.

I don't think you realize fully what drone business represents nowadays. DJI made his first BILLION on revenues in 2016. This means 500k drones sold ONLY in 2016. I do believe that among 500k people there is a large % of idiots and that's math, not an opinion. Do you want another exemple?

from minute 5.05

(we are talking about a vlogger with 1,7 Milion subscribers).
I think i realize. yes, there

Easy now. No need to get overly harsh and mean about it. We all have opinions and have the right to express them.

The rationale behind waiting until you're flown for a while to get the license doesn't really make sense at least not to me (but that's not uncommon LOL).

With that being said I would say that here in the USA the FAA Registration requirement "sort of" meets what the OP here is suggesting. By registering you are agreeing to a "Community Based set of guidelines" (even though many people didn't even read exactly what they signed and went under "contract" with) which clearly states NOT flying directly over people. If the operator had this particular aircraft "registered" the authorities could have contacted the owner and initiated some type of investigation, enforcement or even EDUCATION.

What i mean is just because you fly a drone doesnt mean get a license.

Just for the record ALL R/C aircraft owners were required to get an FCC license prior to flying their aircraft back many many moons ago. No one complained about it but that was about 30 years before the interweeb too.

yes this is now "all the rage" to get a license
these days because there are the few over bearing people that care to much. now im not saying anything against this im just saying "peace out!!!"

Come on guys, we ALL KNOW THAT YOU SHOULD GET A LICENSE!!! stop posting junk about idiots hit people in face and then some guy laughing at it!

i mean seriously, there are far worse things that happen then a guy buying a drone and not buying a license

Hi Placidof

Waylander

I think a license will help in the sense that many crashes are due to user error. Should there be a hands-on and exam component to the license, many, many crashes would be averted. I think the risk of flying over people is very minimal when done by an experienced operator.

Reactions: Bluebouye
I think a license will help in the sense that many crashes are due to user error. Should there be a hands-on and exam component to the license, many, many crashes would be averted. I think the risk of flying over people is very minimal when done by an experienced operator.
you dont realize what your saying, you know how hard it would be for some guy that lives in the middle of no where to get a license just to buy a drone. it takes all the fun out.

Agree, a 1 day mandatory session with teorical and practical exam. Nothing too fancy but assuring anyone gets the mandatory ground basic skills...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Bluebouye
Agree, a 1 day mandatory session with teorical and practical exam. Nothing too fancy but assuring anyone gets the mandatory ground basic skills...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
maybe, but still it would be a lot more work then going to microcenter and picking up a phantom for your sons b-day

maybe, but still it would be a lot more work then going to microcenter and picking up a phantom for your sons b-day

And this is why we have a bad image.... Anyone picking up one of these and flying it anywhere, anytime. We get what we ask for

In this 1 sentence, you just proved the point for why some kind of license is needed.
the main problem is that you are all crazy about one idiot. worry about the whole, and right its not looking good

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20