When do you stop watching

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an effort to create a reputation that we are all responsible UAS operators.

If we fly with no visual line of site, we are increasing our (and others) exposure to risk. Any time we willingly choose to increase risk, we are jeopardizing the trust of others and their safety. We don't want regulatory agencies to have cause to mandate restrictions. Flying with no VLOS or flying in any way that increases risk will in time create a negative public perception of the drone community. Instead, it is our responsibility to create an image that drones are minimally intrusive and pose no threat. Otherwise we risk the inevitable involvement of overly aggressive regulatory agency restrictions.

I like your response. Given the level of responsibility - or lack thereof - of many of today's drone jockeys, I see it as unrealistic. It was a good response though.

Last edited:
Reactions: howdm8
I've started using the device a lot more with the Mavic vs the Phantom even when it is within visual range because it's profile is smaller and the color makes it much harder to see against any terrain background. Also I use the RTH function more for the same reason. I love its portability but it has its disadvantages. Also, those of us that need glasses probably use a tablet/phone more because if you go between visual and screen, you have to change glasses. Sunglasses are bad when trying to view a tablet.
"love its portability but it has its disadvantages" Looking to upgrade this summer from the Standard into a P3A or P4 or the Mavic. What do you consider the Mavic's disadvantages?

When do you get confedence of your tablet and not panic when you can't see the aircraft
ally

JRH,

After about 8 flights, I started watching the tablet more and more, especially, the altitude and the distance readings. When these readings were stable while making video's my confidence improved. Also, I never fly over 300 feet high or 350 feet away. My Phantom 4 cost too much to take the risk. Most important, the FAA rules state to not fly over 400 feet high and within sight. Why not follow the rules, relax and enjoy. I could never fly beyond sight. At 300 feet high the drone is almost out of sight.

Reactions: JRH
My reply to a few of the above posts simply is stick to the rules and regulations

The rule of Line of Sight must be followed at all times. Without FPV goggles, most of use can't see a small drone the size of a P4P beyond 100-200 yards.

The second rule is that if you are using FPV goggles, you need a spotter and you need to limit your distance to your spotter's ability to see your drone and to see other obstacles outside of your FPV goggle field of vision.

The problem with flying with FPV goggles without a spotter is you have tunnel vision. If for any reason, their is a stationary obsticle or a moving obsticle (e.g. a manned aircraft) to the right, left, above or below your tunnel vision, you will be prone to an accident.

Whether a commercial or a recreational plilot, you should read and understand the FAA course material.

Errors of judgement will lead to more strict regulation which none of us want.

The rule of Line of Sight must be followed at all times. Without FPV goggles, most of use can't see a small drone the size of a P4P beyond 100-200 yards.

The second rule is that if you are using FPV goggles, you need a spotter and you need to limit your distance to your spotter's ability to see your drone and to see other obstacles outside of your FPV goggle field of vision.

The problem with flying with FPV goggles without a spotter is you have tunnel vision. If for any reason, their is a stationary obsticle or a moving obsticle (e.g. a manned aircraft) to the right, left, above or below your tunnel vision, you will be prone to an accident.

Whether a commercial or a recreational plilot, you should read and understand the FAA course material.

Errors of judgement will lead to more strict regulation which none of us want.
Different countries have different rules and regulations, one size doesn't fit all. Also if you really feel the need to police others, you could join your local neighborhood watch program. And please stay on subject when replying to a thread, this post is not.

Last edited:
Have asked to close wasn't meant to be abash session. Thanks for the answers

You can, as advertised, fly further than your VLOS. To do it responsibly requires the use of visual observers along the flight path and at least 1 of you has a VLOS at all times and you have verified a reliable method of communication (cell phone or 2 way radio)

If you're speaking commercially/Part 107 that is not correct. The OPERATOR has to have (or be able to have) the aircraft in sight. They do allow for a VO to briefly take over sole sighting of the aircraft but only so long as the OPERATOR can take his/her eyes off the aircraft to check telemetry/warnings etc. The VO does not allow flying BVLOS.

If needed I can provide a direct quote from our FAA liaison that states the above. Feel free to PM me or start a new thread about this particular point of interest and I'll chime in there.

This thread is now closed.
thread_closed.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31