When do you feel the need to upgrade firmware or software?

When do you feel the need to upgrade firmware or software?

• 1.If it is working now, I keep the current version.

• 2. If there is a known safety issue.

• 3. If there is a new feature I can't fly without.

• 4. After others have flown and tested the new release.

• 5. As soon as the update is available, I turn into the guinea pig.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Spoke once with a person working in Dji. She said they have bunch of people who have a job of flying the drones all day. Testing them and the firmware.
Its not that they just release something for us to check if its better. So i update right away.

I'm a validation engineer for a tech company and from experience I know bugs slip through. It's not possible for them to test every scenario.
now if warranty became an issue, I'd be happy to be a public beta tester, jump on the latest firmware and have them replace my bird if something went wrong

1.3.02 works great :) I don't want to be a beta tester, it's just not my thing. But I must say thanks to the beta testers that work hard to prepare the updates for us.

I would think if everything is going well for anyone feel free to keep the firmware you choose but don't update, or turn off the auto update on the pilot app as I would think that the app will at one point become incompatible with older firmware.

They tested 1.5. How many Phantoms have shut down mid-air?

Are you asking me or do you have an actual number of craft that went down solely because of the 1.5 FW? That would be a stat I'd be interested to see.

No I was commenting to your assertion "DJI tests the FW before releasing it."

I agree that DJI tested 1.5 before releasing it as well. But how many Phantoms were lost as a result of the battery issue that slipped past the testing? My point is upgrading isn't always a good thing. Especially jumping on new firmware the moment it is released. Why update if your Phantom is performing perfectly fine & doing everything you want it to do? What is the point in updating unless there is a specific fault being corrected or a benefit involved? I updated from 1.3 to 1.4 because there was a tangible benefit. I got a 2.7K video option & the full suite of IOC features. Since 1.4 no major fault has been corrected, nor is there any specific benefit to be gained from updating. 1.6 benefited only those running 1.5.

I still run Windows 7. It works perfectly & I simply can't stand Windows 8, 8.1, or 10. It's all good.

Are you asking me or do you have an actual number of craft that went down solely because of the 1.5 FW? That would be a stat I'd be interested to see.

No I was commenting to your assertion "DJI tests the FW before releasing it."

I agree that DJI tested 1.5 before releasing it as well. But how many Phantoms were lost as a result of the battery issue that slipped past the testing? My point is upgrading isn't always a good thing. Especially jumping on new firmware the moment it is released. Why update if your Phantom is performing perfectly fine & doing everything you want it to do? What is the point in updating unless there is a specific fault being corrected or a benefit involved? I updated from 1.3 to 1.4 because there was a tangible benefit. I got a 2.7K video option & the full suite of IOC features. Since 1.4 no major fault has been corrected, nor is there any specific benefit to be gained from updating. 1.6 benefited only those running 1.5.

I still run Windows 7. It works perfectly & I simply can't stand Windows 8, 8.1, or 10. It's all good.

You do what you wish, I'll keep on truck'n and upgrading as soon as the update is available.

Last edited:
You can shake your head all you want but you couldn't even articulate a reason WHY you update. What did you gain? Perhaps it just feels good to update even though there is no benefit? Had you rushed to update to 1.5 & lost your Phantom to a battery shutdown you really would be shaking your head! :eek:

You can shake your head all you want but you couldn't even articulate a reason WHY you update. Perhaps it just feels good to update even though there is no benefit? Had you rushed to update & lost your Phantom to a battery shutdown you really would be shaking your head! :eek:

I'm still waiting for the stats...how many crashed from 1.5...

Try a search for "fell out of sky"

So in other words you have no idea...I'm done, you can go on as long as you want if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Are you new? You missed all the threads about P3s shutting down mid-flight & dropping like rocks? That was 1.5. Fixing the 1.5 battery shutdown issue is why you have 1.6. The "fix" was to limit your Phantom's current draw to prevent the battery from sagging to the point of shutdown. In other words, they throttled your Phantom so it is slower & produces less thrust in certain situations. If you were running 1.4, your Phantom would do everything yours does with 1.6, only it would do it faster. ;)

So in other words you have no idea...I'm done, you can go on as long as you want if it makes you feel better about yourself.

I don't update my iPhone... Must not be a jailbreaker! I always wait until the latest JB comes out. It's the only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My drone was on 1.5 when it fell from the sky. The Battery shut off and boom. It's been out since Christmas. I get it back this week completely restored.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I used to update to the new release as I thought if DJI are bringing out a new update there must be a valid reason and can only improve things...how wrong i was i had 1.4 for a while and it drifted like a drunk after a bottle of whiskey!! Then i did 1.5 which we all know about now im on 1.6 which could have all thse geo permitations so from now on im either not going to update or be mega catious about possible implications of new firmware updates which could result in my p3 being grounded as there is no frifin air space to fly in!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1