Wheelchair Pilot

Reaction score
Hi all,

It has been a long time since I've been on this forum. I really missed you all.

Having had severe health problems since a "blank" drunk driver ruined my career and life, I developed Polyneuropathy. The shortest explaination is: It is a serious neurological disease, that is usually progressive and sometimes fatal.

For the technical guys/gals here, our nerves have a coating around them called Mylyeon, which is like insulation on wires. This disease eats that coating away. This causes nerves to malfunction and later, to die. The only good part is it does not affect nerves in the brain. The bad part is it can affect all other nerves, such as nerves to the heart and other vital organs.

It starts in the feet and moves upward. It is into my lower abdomen now. I've lost the ability to walk and to have sex. (Not that women were lined up anyway!) Even worse is the literally raw nerves that hurt 24/7 in my legs. The pain is very excruitiating and unrelenting.

Around the house, with bedroom slippers on, I could slide my feet several inches. I can not lift my feet to walk normally. Now, the several inches has decreased to one inch and the resulting pain is horrible. I will be evaluated this coming Monday for the type of wheel chair that I need. It will have to be electric and one that will elevate my legs, due to another problem. At least, I'm hoping for that level 3 chair. (It has more buttons!!)

A very long way of saying: Please pray for me. Not to get well, but to adapt to one of my greatest fears in life. I will have to pay to get a hitch installed and then $2,000 for a lift, for the chair. Insurance does not pay for that or the used cart, that I bought for grocery shopping, etc. Nor, does it pay for the ramps and widening of doors or altering a vehicle to be handicap accessible. Nor does it pay for a way to carry my Phantom and transmitter, etc. If it crash lands, I probably won't be able to get to where it is. I miss this hobby and I miss all of you.

Alan Sims

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Prayers sent. You might think about setting up a medical account at GoFundMe.com to help with expenses.

I knew I hadn't seen ya in a while bro and knew ya was sick but didn't know it had went south on you !
Really sad to hear this and like snerd you will be in my thoughts and prayers .
His suggestion is a good one and you should look into that !!!!!
Keep us informed PF :)

Thank you both for your replies and the suggestion. I will look into that.

Boy, I thought I had more friends here! I kinda wish I hadn't posted this.

Thank you both for your replies and the suggestion. I will look into that.

Boy, I thought I had more friends here! I kinda wish I hadn't posted this.

Welcome back. PF, yep, you've been missed. Like Dirk said, we knew you were having issues, but not like these. Praying for you brother.

Ya know, OT was a bit more popular until the P3 showed up... now that's where 9 out of 10 posts are. That forum is swamped and things have changed while you've been gone. Many never even come to OT anymore.

I bet there is a RC airport in your area that could make life a lot easier for you when you want to fly. I'll keep tossing ideas at you as they come to me. Some will probably suck, but who knows.

Reactions: dirkclod
Can you not claim all medical expenses off the **** Drunk driver?.

Your condition sounds very similar to MS where the myelin sheath breaks down.

Have you looked at hyperbaric treatment as it may help.

Be strong.

Paula

Hi all,

It has been a long time since I've been on this forum. I really missed you all.

Having had severe health problems since a "blank" drunk driver ruined my career and life, I developed Polyneuropathy. The shortest explaination is: It is a serious neurological disease, that is usually progressive and sometimes fatal.

For the technical guys/gals here, our nerves have a coating around them called Mylyeon, which is like insulation on wires. This disease eats that coating away. This causes nerves to malfunction and later, to die. The only good part is it does not affect nerves in the brain. The bad part is it can affect all other nerves, such as nerves to the heart and other vital organs.

It starts in the feet and moves upward. It is into my lower abdomen now. I've lost the ability to walk and to have sex. (Not that women were lined up anyway!) Even worse is the literally raw nerves that hurt 24/7 in my legs. The pain is very excruitiating and unrelenting.

Around the house, with bedroom slippers on, I could slide my feet several inches. I can not lift my feet to walk normally. Now, the several inches has decreased to one inch and the resulting pain is horrible. I will be evaluated this coming Monday for the type of wheel chair that I need. It will have to be electric and one that will elevate my legs, due to another problem. At least, I'm hoping for that level 3 chair. (It has more buttons!!)

A very long way of saying: Please pray for me. Not to get well, but to adapt to one of my greatest fears in life. I will have to pay to get a hitch installed and then $2,000 for a lift, for the chair. Insurance does not pay for that or the used cart, that I bought for grocery shopping, etc. Nor, does it pay for the ramps and widening of doors or altering a vehicle to be handicap accessible. Nor does it pay for a way to carry my Phantom and transmitter, etc. If it crash lands, I probably won't be able to get to where it is. I miss this hobby and I miss all of you.

Alan Sims
hi Alan, I am a bit challenged also (stroke). Let me know how I can help. PayPal?
Luis.

Welcome back to the forum.
I am quite new here, but do sympasize with you. Many of us have challenges, but reading about yours certainly puts mine in perspective.
Hope things do get better for you, and that the financial burdon gets some ease. Best wishes.

RedHotPoker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20