What's your typical shot sequence for real estate videos?

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

For those of you who use your drone to create real estate videos, I'm wondering whether you have a typical sequence of shots that you put together for maximum dramatic impact...if so, what is the sequence?

For me, I usually have the following, which I think is most dramatic:

1. Start high up, then descend straight towards the front door, as if you were walking into the house
2. A descending sweep of the front facade, usually from the upper right hand corner of the facade to the lower left
3. A high-altitude orbital of the front
4. A high altitude orbital of the rear
5. A slow, steady pan across a the back of the property
6. A retreat from the rear of the house, starting in low and up close, then backing away and up to a high altitude
7. Fade to black

Any suggestions or alternate sequences you use?

hi-----read this with interest....thanks for your insight.....I think I am a bit unique as to P4 owners. I was not an RCer.....and not really that much into photography, however I am creative and I am a marketer. I recently moved to Mexico and upon my arrival realized that 95% of all the real estate (homes, hotels, condos, etc.) were located in a manner that made them inaccessible in a "normal" photographic context......AKA...I saw an opportunity. As I set up my business to seize the opportunity I am recognizing that whereas I can manage post OK with still photography, video has me baffled....no matter how many Youtubes I watch. Can you recommend a novices guide to editing video....thanks mucho in advance.....

Hi Allen123
Let me suggest using a "free" s/w package like iMovie to begin editing video. It is straight forward, allows you to add marquees and music easily and cut in and out of scenes dramatically and most importantly cut down the viewing time...most effective videos for home aerial video are less than 2 minutes. I try to keep the length of mine to around 90 secs with some decent music (not rock) to accompany the shots. If you have dramatic coastline scenes start at the front and then rise dramatically above to capture the rear deck/pool area with the ocean in the background, next cut to scenes coming in from the ocean over dramatic cliffs etc.
Also, if you fly your own missions work with a pro editor on the first couple you want to showcase to potential clients....you can also watch and learn from them since you are paying for their services.
Good luck!
¡Todo bien!

Hi Friends,

For those of you who use your drone to create real estate videos, I'm wondering whether you have a typical sequence of shots that you put together for maximum dramatic impact...if so, what is the sequence?

For me, I usually have the following, which I think is most dramatic:

1. Start high up, then descend straight towards the front door, as if you were walking into the house
2. A descending sweep of the front facade, usually from the upper right hand corner of the facade to the lower left
3. A high-altitude orbital of the front
4. A high altitude orbital of the rear
5. A slow, steady pan across a the back of the property
6. A retreat from the rear of the house, starting in low and up close, then backing away and up to a high altitude
7. Fade to black

Any suggestions or alternate sequences you use?

How do you change your sequence when the home is in a heavily wooded area and the high altitude shots prove to be difficult?

Actually flying real estate in wooded areas is a challenge but the best photos of property are often gotten from low altitude video/stills. I rarely fly above 40 feet unless the home is on a ranch/lake/cliff/ocean setting where the capture of the surround is important to emphasize.
You can get some really awesome shots flying in and out between trees and "snatching" glimpses of the property you want to highlight. YOu may want to consider flying just before twilight when you can use the interior lighting for highlights (see attached photo)
As in all video and still photography editing is key and you can re-sequence any of your videos with iMovie or something similar.
Home - Dusk.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues