What's your Top Speed?

Reaction score
I recently replaced some motors and upgraded Firmware and I feel like my Phantom is slower than it was before. I want to see what firmware you are running and what is your top speed with no tail wind. My newly repaired Phantom is now running 3.04 and my top speed in calm wind is 30.00 MPH. I used to cruise around 35MPH and I'm not sure if its the firmware or the motors or both..

Thanks

midwestjeff said:
I recently replaced some motors and upgraded Firmware and I feel like my Phantom is slower than it was before. I want to see what firmware you are running and what is your top speed with no tail wind. My newly repaired Phantom is now running 3.04 and my top speed in calm wind is 30.00 MPH. I used to cruise around 35MPH and I'm not sure if its the firmware or the motors or both..

Thanks

I'm with you, Jeff. I think the firmware slowed top speed. If you want to fly fast, switch to Atti mode. That makes a big difference.
- Dave

Please be responsible with this info. Several months ago I too read that ATTI mode flew faster and wanted to see how fast I could go. What I didn't know is in ATTI mode flying fast does not hold altitude. Mine flew right into a lake! Make sure you understand you have to maintain altitude when flying without GPS. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Geo

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Geoelectro said:
Please be responsible with this info. Several months ago I too read that ATTI mode flew faster and wanted to see how fast I could go. What I didn't know is in ATTI mode flying fast does not hold altitude. Mine flew right into a lake! Make sure you understand you have to maintain altitude when flying without GPS. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Geo

Excellent point about ATTI mode that no one should overlook.
I believe that top speed has been reduced in later versions of the software by reducing the maximum pitch in GPS mode.

Geoelectro said:

Geo
When you try to test your speed, why did you fly so low at the same time ? If you fly high enough, like 300 feet, I believe it won't happen! Even if it started to happen, you would have enough time to find it before it goes into lake!

If you are interested in Top Speed. Here is a list of some Phantom 1, 2, Vision users who use a data flight recorder.
I would guess with certainty that all top speeds of those ranked in the to 90 were reordered with a tailwind. You can click into each entry to see details and analyze the data at point the top speed was achieved and determine the direction of travel. You can then compare that to speed when flying in the opposite direction.

http://www.flytrex.com/challenges/speed/phantom-all/

yawnalot29 said:
I get close to 40. Stock, unmodified, out of box. No wind.

Same here... I noticed 38mph in the flytrex data on this video after I edited it and watched a couple times...
Never noticed I was going that fast while I was flying though

http://youtu.be/P9qIte_uwCc

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9qIte_uwCc[/youtube]

Nice video DBS! I like seeing what kind of quality the V+ should be able to get.

Last week, I had the chance to fly a friend's Vision+ on firmware 3.04 along with mine that's still on 3.00. I did 2-way speed runs on each, a few minutes apart, averaging the speeds in each direction to cancel wind effects. Here are the max speeds I achieved on each:

P2V+ FW 3.04: 22 miles/hour

P2V+ FW 3.00: 34 miles/hour

Both were done in GPS mode. This is consistent with the stated max speeds of 10 and 15 meters per second.

I got really close to 40 mph's with No wind too but i had to cool the P3 SE motors down with water as the four motors were red Hot from "trying to beat all you guys speeds"..... ! (LOL)

Oppsey.....I just seen it was a P2 forum and i hope i'm not in trouble for the post here Thank you.

Attachments

• HOT MOTORS.jpg
    HOT MOTORS.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Atti definately makes a huge difference - or fully manual mode if you can control it.

Turn the drone onto Naza and flick the right switch down all the way but make sure you are as high as possible as the drone will start to fall out of the sky if you don't do it right.

You will get very fast with manual - especially with a tailwind, but be ready to switch the it back to atti normal when you start to fall quickly.

Also do this if you want to take out some height quickly - the drone will fall and you can then just switch out of manual and the drone 'catches itself' in midair.

JUST ONLY DO THIS AT 400ft - IT IS A QUICK WAY TO CRASH YOUR DRONE OTHERWISE!!!

Geo
ATTI mode is suppose to hold Altitude. It just doesn't hold position. I've used it lots of times with no problems. Just make sure you don't throttle down. If I'm trying for speed. I keep my throttle all the way up. My top speed was 47 MPH with a tail wind.

I got really close to 40 mph's with No wind too but i had to cool the P3 SE motors down with water as the four motors were red Hot from "trying to beat all you guys speeds"..... ! (LOL)

Oppsey.....I just seen it was a P2 forum and i hope i'm not in trouble for the post here Thank you.

Cooling motors with water is a very good way to permanently damage them. Let them air cool. Also, I've seen 37-38mph on a P3 without even using Atti mode, and the motors never got all that hot.

Cooling motors with water is a very good way to permanently damage them. Let them air cool. Also, I've seen 37-38mph on a P3 without even using Atti mode, and the motors never got all that hot.
Just nick.......my post was all in FUN......and the picture was supposed to be me and the RED HOT motors and smoking engines.....didn't you see the picture with my post above ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31