Whats your longest RTH situation?

Reaction score
Was testing an antenna last night on the p3Standard and lost signal shortly after the turnaround on the way back and didnt pick up signal again for over 5 miles and an eternity.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469719432.184742.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469719439.620259.jpg

Whats your longest "seemed like forever" story?

First I'm a new pilot and keep learning more and more about this sport and having a blast Went flying with my buddy last week, he got me hooked My p4 intiated RTH at just over 14,000 ft , first time the feature popped up and I just let it do its thing As I wanted to see how the feature worked. Birb came back and landed 2ft from initial launch point I was glad this featured worked as it should. Now I know

Reactions: dirtybum
It is an amazing feature!
yes it is , my buddy said he hasn't hit his button or let it do it on its own for fear of fly off on his P3P ( stories he said he read) me screw that, if this unit says it has that feature i wanna know it works and how to use it properly so when i need it i understand all about it... i wasn't pushing the issue, it just happened and its own and kinda surprised me....glad i let it do its' thing to see it work fully with no more input from me....hats off on this feature....still haven't seen the feature when signal loss , will it return as it's suppose too? time will tell ....i've had weak transmission siganl, RC signal lost, and aircraft disconnected show up, but every time it quickly came back on green good to go so i don't think enough time passed before that feature took over...freaks me out to see those red warnings pop up...could almost make a diamond out the backside...lmao

I was flying about 2 weeks ago and hit some really bad interference at about 1200 feet out. Because of some trees I could not see the bird but video feed was delayed about 2 seconds and I kept getting the signal lost warning. After trying to change to a manual channel and it not working I just did RTH and it came right back. I freak out on the inside when things like this happen but you gotta keep cool.

I haven't used mine but I watched Buck master ride it out from 14000 ft. Worked great

I was flying about 2 weeks ago and hit some really bad interference at about 1200 feet out. Because of some trees I could not see the bird but video feed was delayed about 2 seconds and I kept getting the signal lost warning. After trying to change to a manual channel and it not working I just did RTH and it came right back. I freak out on the inside when things like this happen but you gotta keep cool.

Yep soul, as long as you hear it beeping, you just got to keep your cool, and know that your home point is recorded and it's headed home. If you got enough battery, it'll make it there

Just had this one this evening. 13,202 feet with P3S. Signal lost and I was flying blind. It all seemed to go whacky so I initiated RTH. Felt like forever; but was only like five minutes.
533d8f433d020aa6e7884d9c5e5655fe_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Try a Litchi mission. I flew a mission yesterday that took the phantom out of signal range for over 7 minutes. It seemed like 20 minutes before I got the video feed back.

I did a distance run a few days ago out to 3.2 miles. I just let RTH take over from there.

My longest RTH with no contact was about 2 or 3 of the longest minutes. Not a good feeling.

Just yesterday I launched off my boat on a local lake. I was about a mile out when I initiated a RTH. Even though I couldn't see the bird I knew she was coming home fine from the video feed so I was feeling pretty confident. Much to my surprised my P3A just kept on flying right by where my boat was sitting and I quickly lost sight of it again due to the sun and the altitude. I was confused as normally RTH nicely brings her back to the launch spot within a few feet. But my kid knew what happened right away. He reminded me that we weren't anchored and had drifted a fair distance since I launched. Duh! Then a small second panic as I switched to map mode to quickly figure how to bring the quad back to my current location. Luckily that wasn't hard to figure out and the flight end well.

my buddy said he hasn't hit his button or let it do it on its own for fear of fly off on his P3P ( stories he said he read)
Your buddy is a prime candidate to feature in another one of those stories because the day you want to use RTH is the worst day to learn how it works.
RTH is very reliable and most RTH related problems are entirely due to the operator not knowing how it works and even how to activate RTH.

I agree! It's better to use RTH as a tool to return your bird home versus being afraid it will cause a fly away. When I first got my P3A I took it straight up and hit RTH to see what it did and how it worked. I can assure you that without it I would have had a drone scavenger hunt a couple times in the woods if it were not for RTH. I do however have auto RTH turned off in case you are below something and dont know it. My first and only crash was due to auto RTH. Thank god it was only a few foot drop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers