What's your crash damage?

Reaction score
Just curious if you had a crash what you damaged to get a idea of weak parts.

Personally i never crashed! (I dont have one yet!:D)
Thanks!

The first thing most people damage are the props. Always good to have a few spares if you can.

Then once you hit a tree, the Phantom usually falls to the ground.
if that ground is hard, and it hits at the wrong angle, the next thing to break is the shell... right by the skinniest part of the arm, you'd get a buckling and the arm would be bent. some people manage to fix it a bit by applying heat. but it usually requires a new shell, which isa bout $50 or so, and takes a few hours to swap out everything.

One of the other main things is the gimbal mount. Some people have managed to actually break the shaft which I think is somewhat uncommon; while others, including myself, have bent the mount and have to bend it back by hand. Not so serious but still counts as damage.

Then about the time you think you are pretty good you goto manual mode and try to do some loops. I did a perfect half loop and my Phantom showed me it could fall faster then gravity. Which is a shell replacement, but you start find out just about anything on it you can fix.

Back to the original question, I think is pilot error is the weak point. Your little Phantom will usually be all right.

My first serious crash broke the middle of the three little wires that connects the P2V with the gimbel controlling the tilt of the camera. The gimbel shaft broke in the second serious crash. In each case, the battery popped out, and the entire camera support detached from the P2V at the shock absorbers. Had it repaired at Dronefly both times over the counter for about $10 each time. It has flown perfectly in the ensuing 3 months. No problems.

Only ever props, or my cheap chinese gimbals get damaged / broken. Haven't broke anything else on the Phantom yet..... after a good few hard crashes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6qGJ_NBFC0[/youtube]

a few smaller ones from the first weeks of owning....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siYR6fzNC2c[/youtube]

Actually, I crashed yesterday into a tree while RTH engaged, and it ripped the 2 screws from the landing gear at one end which in turn snapped my antenna cable which runs down that leg. Not sure if i'll need to replace the full receiver, however it's only $15 if can't just solder a new antenna cable on.

Still seems to be working fine at the moment, haven't tried any long range testing since it's broken though.

I think the product, software is the weak point.
Just a matter of time before it crashes or flies away.
Just stating MY opinion, as I have a right to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20