What's wrong with my video?

There are 2 thoughts wrapped in this thought - exposure, and sharpness.

Sharpness is controlled by the shutter speed. The 2x recommendation comes from standard videography, and really is a guideline, rather than a rule. It's object is to blur rapid motion. If you are shooting stills, it is exactly the wrong thing to do, as it will blur your pictures when motion is present. My personal preference is to shoot with the highest shutter speed possible. The results are crystal clear, with no bothersome artifacts. I do also use a circular polarizer, which reduces the shutter speed slightly, but on a bright day the shutter speed is well shorter than 1/200 of a second.

Exposure can be done manually, but if the drone flies across a shadowy part of the landscape and then a bright spot, one or the other will be badly exposed. I have found that automatic exposure does a pretty good job of following the changes in light. A thing to be aware of is that there is a fair amount of lag designed into the autoexposure system to avoid the system constantly changing the exposure at the slightest change in the picture. If the system is consistently too light or too dark, you can make overall image adjustments using the EV shift control. - EV values make it darker, +EV values make lighter.

On the color selection choices there are 2 that are important to your work flow. Normal, or none, is used to produce images that are pleasing to the average viewer. That, in combination with using autoexposure and the EV settings should get you very close. If you intend to post process the video and do color correction there, log is a better choice. It produces a flatter, duller looking image, but preserves a greater range of brightness. In post, you will have more opportunity to get exactly what you want.

I would start with experimenting with the controls above before going deeper.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20