What's wrong with my P4 Gimbal!?...Garbage...

Users with this issue are being told by DJI to return their units for service.

So everybody should returns their phantoms, from p2v+ to p4. There is no phantom that stay perfectly level on the horizon line while turning.

I am a new P4 user and just relaying what DJI is telling users who are reporting this issue that I am having and I never have read where any Phantom user say it's a prevalent issue until now. Thanks.

I am a new P4 user and just relaying what DJI is telling users who are reporting this issue that I am having and I never have read where any Phantom user say it's a prevalent issue until now. Thanks.
Unfortunately after 2 generation of phantoms with this issue i hoped that the new one would be the good one, but instead seems the issue is worst than before in some cases.

They have a 3 years old technology that works perfectly as far as I've seen, I'm talking about zenmuse gimbal, and instead of using that they've redesigned the p3 gimbal in p4 making it even worst...unbelievable.

Reactions: Fanti
Flew one more time today, the issue seems to have self resolved... Re-calibrated compass, and also re-calibrated gimbal, this time it did go through 100% without any error message.

Will update if anything significant changes.

You need to return it to the store, I did mine and the new generation P4 after the first release date is better. My new phantom was the 17/03/2016 Has a few slight tweaks as well.

Last edited:
You need to return it to the store, I did mine and the new generation P4 after the first release date is better. My new phantom was the 17/03/2016 Has a few slight tweaks as well.
What tweaks are you talking about... How did you tell the difference?

What tweaks are you talking about... How did you tell the difference?

I wrote this on another forum....

So looks like this Phantom 4 I got was tested on the 17/3/2016 - this is shown by the folder creation date on the SD card.

but there is a few differences with this P4....

1) There are groves in the feet to show how the gimbal holder should line up (my orginal P4 didn't have any groves)

2) The SD card is now a Panasonic not the blue Lexar (I prefer the look of the blue lexar, as the panasonic is all black - doesn't matter as I use a bigger card)

3) The firmware of the craft was updated more higher than my original P4, still needed a firmware update but I didn't need a cable on the side, it just did it wirelessly and only took a minute. (The other upgrade for my orginal firmware sounded like it updated all the ESC, this one didn't seem to need to)

4) There was no protection labels on the front facing vision cameras.
frown.gif

5) There is piece of removable styrofoam in the case above the batteries that I did not have before.

6) The case feels slightly different, not sure what it is but doesn't feel as smooth.

7) The locking mechanism of the case glides in nicely, where as my other one before there was a bit of resistance when turning it.

1) There are groves in the feet to show how the gimbal holder should line up (my orginal P4 didn't have any groves)

2) The SD card is now a Panasonic not the blue Lexar (I prefer the look of the blue lexar, as the panasonic is all black - doesn't matter as I use a bigger card)

Okay, I see... One I got from Apple store was the same as your newer one, with panasonic sd card, gimbal align mark. I also notice in some of the online video reviews on youtube, people who had earlier version of the drone, the included UV filter was multi-coated (stronger green color cast), where on mine it was not coated or maybe just coated with 1 layer (very very faint green color cast)... I think they did cheap out on quality UV filter.

Okay, I see... One I got from Apple store was the same as your newer one, with panasonic sd card, gimbal align mark. I also notice in some of the online video reviews on youtube, people who had earlier version of the drone, the included UV filter was multi-coated (stronger green color cast), where on mine it was not coated or maybe just coated with 1 layer (very very faint green color cast)... I think they did cheap out on quality UV filter.

Can I ask, does your camera on startup hit the top and bottom with a bang noise?

Also if you have your drone turned off and you rotate the camera to the bottom (gently with your hand) do you hear a ribbon cable scrape?

I wrote this on another forum....

So looks like this Phantom 4 I got was tested on the 17/3/2016 - this is shown by the folder creation date on the SD card.

3) The firmware of the craft was updated more higher than my original P4, still needed a firmware update but I didn't need a cable on the side, it just did it wirelessly and only took a minute. (The other upgrade for my orginal firmware sounded like it updated all the ESC, this one didn't seem to need to)

4) There was no protection labels on the front facing vision cameras.
frown.gif

5) There is piece of removable styrofoam in the case above the batteries that I did not have before.

6) The case feels slightly different, not sure what it is but doesn't feel as smooth.

7) The locking mechanism of the case glides in nicely, where as my other one before there was a bit of resistance when turning it.

I ordered mine the night of the pre-order day and received it from DJi along with others in the first batch. Mine has lines on the feet to aid in installing the gimbal guard. I don't really know about all the other things though. And guess what, it has an un-level gimbal.

I do know as others have said this gimbal level issue has plagued DJi through many generations of Phantoms and on Inspires. I returned my P3 Pro 2 times for the issue and DJi was never able to repair the problem. You guys realize DJi doesn't actually fly them after repair and they don't tell you what they did to repair the issue. You fill out their RMA form and ship it to them then a couple three weeks later you get an email saying it's being shipped back and when you get it there no documentation whatsoever.

With that said my P3 Advanced is spot on. Has never had that issue or any issues. The 2nd used P3A I just bought does not have the issue either.

I will likely send the P4 in for warranty "repair" as really that's our only option and just pray they actually know how to fix the problem and the two techs that tried to fix my P3 Pro were just incompetent.

If you are having issues, please contact dji.com/support or your dealer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.