What's wrong with my P4 Gimbal!?...Garbage...

Reaction score
Update, did IMU/Gimbal and collision avoidance system calibration, now it's almost good now...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It was working perfect last use, today it started to act really weird when turning the drone left and right... The camera angle drops down either turning left or right, but goes back to level when back to original starting point...

See the video.. Go to 0:50 for most obvious problem. Never crashed, never subjected to shocks, always in the foam case... Less than 3hrs of flight time... I took care of my new P4 like a baby... And this is what I get in return... Frustrated.

I then tried to calibrate gimbal using the DJI Go app, on a perfectly level surface. But the app gives me error every time close to completion...Is this a bug?...

Last edited:
It was working perfect last use, today it started to act really weird when turning the drone left and right... The camera angle drops down either turning left or right, but goes back to level when back to original starting point...

See the video.. Go to 0:50 for most obvious problem. Never crashed, never subjected to shocks, always in the foam case... Less than 3hrs of flight time... I took care of my new P4 like a baby... And this is what I get in return... Frustrated.

I then tried to calibrate gimbal using the DJI Go app, on a perfectly level surface. But the app gives me error every time close to completion...Is this a bug?...
You are in FPV mode instead of FOLLOW ME.

**edit was going to erase this but since he responded, I'm just going to say it's not the case. Knee jerk reaction.

Last edited:
Nah... I never changed it to FPV... I even switched default FPV/Follow quick access button to other functions long ago so no way I triggered FPV...

Nah... I never changed it to FPV... I even switched default FPV/Follow quick access button to other functions long ago so no way I triggered FPV...
Knee jerk reaction reading your OP. After watching your video, I would suggest recalibration everything l, especially gimbal obviously but also IMU. I personally would start from square 1 and unlink the RC and redo all of it. If it's off, they'll fix it but the horizon is definitely off.

To show how many degrees it's off, turn on all the grids and show a video with telemetry.

Are you using any filters on it? I have seen people show this type of behavior when adding filters. Apparently the addition weight caused it in the other case. Just figured I would mention it.

Are you using any filters on it? I have seen people show this type of behavior when adding filters. Apparently the addition weight caused it in the other case. Just figured I would mention it.
I have especially heard of that phenomenon when using lens hoods and since you were shooting at sunset, maybe.

I haven't tried any filters yet, purely stock...though I just bought a set of CPL and ND filters...

Will try to fly tomorrow and see if prob still persists.

I haven't tried any filters yet, purely stock...though I just bought a set of CPL and ND filters...

Will try to fly tomorrow and see if prob still persists.
ND flters are lighter than circular polarizars. It's probably the offender, what brand filters? Also use as few NDs as possible. Unlike land cameras, weight affects everything. I'm always surprised that such little weight can matter that much if indeed that's the case.

Did either of you get an error about gimbal motors? Did either of you have the gimbal protector on whilst powering up or pick the phantom up whilst powered on and hold it or swing it around at a pitch that was impossible for the gimble to reach at anytime?

I remember having the "Gimbal horizon bug when Yawing*" with the P3A, we're they really able to fix this with the P4 or even the P3 ?
*This issue is when you apply yaw while looking at the horizon, the gimbal become in an angle and don't stay leveled.

I remember that redoing an IMU/Gimbal calibration on a perfectly leveled surface, helped a bit. But this issue always came back.

Yep,
I have the same issue.
Your not alone.

Had the same issue on my 1st and 2nd flight. Recalibrated IMU and Gimbal and still was tilted up a few degrees to the left. Had to manually change the Gimbal tile to achieve a level horizon.

Had the same issue on my 1st and 2nd flight. Recalibrated IMU and Gimbal and still was tilted up a few degrees to the left. Had to manually change the Gimbal tile to achieve a level horizon.
The question is, Do the tilt angle change when you Yaw fast while looking at the horizon ?

The question is, Do the tilt angle change when you Yaw fast while looking at the horizon ?

Yes, it did. The horizon was crooked and yawing would make it even worse and then it would level off to the default crooked position. I have a video that shows it but not uploaded.

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 11.23.00 AM.png

Yes, it did. The horizon was crooked and yawing would make it even worse and then it would level off to the default crooked position. I have a video that shows it but not uploaded.

View attachment 49649
Im really surprised DJI was never able to fix this issue, what im wondering is : Does this issue also happen with the Inspire and the Pro level Gimbals "Z15" ?

Im really surprised DJI was never able to fix this issue, what im wondering is : Does this issue also happen with the Inspire and the Pro level Gimbals "Z15" ?

It did not occur on subsequent flights but I have only had 5 so far. I went to a new location and restarted my Android tablet and I got a software update notice and it was fine thereafter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31