Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

What's with the prices on broken gimbals?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by Monkeyleg, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Monkeyleg

Weeks back I bought a P2V+ with a broken gimbal. I bought another broken gimbal on Ebay for $130 to cannibalize for parts. Unfortunately there's still a couple of motors I need.

Now gimbal prices all seem to be north of $200. I even saw one sell for over $300 a few days ago.

Is this a seasonal thing, or have gimbals become some sort of hot commodity?

2. mad in nc

3. Monkeyleg

As much as I'd like to just hand off the gimbal to either of them, I'm on a budget. The gimbals aren't difficult to work on. I don't have any equipment for testing the motor control boards, so I'm just swapping out boards from a Phantom that works and see which ones make a difference. Then it's finding a used one that has the board(s) I need.

I just don't understand why prices spiked in the last 2-3 weeks. Broken gimbals were going for $130 to $170. Now you can add $60 to $70 to that.

4. SnoozeDoggyDog

My thoughts are supply and demand .... Maybe the repair companies are buying them up for spares and there's a a bit of bidding wars.

5. Monkeyleg

Makes sense.

6. RoyVa

A lot of bidding the prices climb. Low bidding they go for a lower price. So I guess it is a snooze says supply and demand. It appears when it is a proprietary product the prices are higher due to lack of competition. Checked you electric bill lately? It's now higher than the cost of my first house mortgage.