Whats up with the 5m minimum altitude for POI?

D

DrewFlies

Anyway we can alter this? I think the 5m minimum is stupid. I understand its there for safety. But how epic would it be if you can have the drone right in front of you spinning around you in a perfect circle?? Video production companies have high end quality equipment to pull this shot off smoothly. Why not be able to do it with a $1300 phantom? Especially when they have the Ronin and Ronin-m

Pretty easy. Take off from ground level. Walk uphill or go up a flight of stairs so the Phantom thinks it's 5m up... Just don't chop your face off or I'll feel guilty for telling you this...

The issue I've had is when you start out at a higher point than what your trying to film. Then your 5m+. In my case that puts it 30m higher than I'd like. It's bs we can't adjust it. Just put a disclaimer on it.

There's no need for trolling. I'm being very serious with this post. I'm not a ******* when it comes to flying. I'm sure I will be safe. 5m radius? 30 ft diameter is nowhere my face or head for that matter. I just want to be able to bring it lower than 5m altitude. There's plenty of objects you can film in a 360 angle. Many possibilities will arise if they change this

There's no need for trolling. I'm being very serious with this post. I'm not a ******* when it comes to flying. I'm sure I will be safe. 5m radius? 30 ft diameter is nowhere my face or head for that matter. I just want to be able to bring it lower than 5m altitude. There's plenty of objects you can film in a 360 angle. Many possibilities will arise if they change this
That's where the new DJI Osmo handheld camera gimbal comes in [emoji41]

I'm probably wrong here but I thought the 5m minimum is just the needed distance out from the set POI-center. When I tried the POI first time I overlooked this and did not get it to work until I found out that I just fly about 5m out from the POI-center. Then the circle will be about 10m from edge to edge in total. Maybe lower distance will not work good enough because uneven GPS-position, etc?

That's where the new DJI Osmo handheld camera gimbal comes in [emoji41]

I agree and I'm very interested in buying the Osmo. I just think its silly when we have a product of theirs that has the capabilities of getting the same shot and double the price of the Osmo

I agree. Cars, bikes etc need to be filmed under 5m when youre close
45° plunging view is boring
And when the point of interest is virtual, no risks!.As you can film in any direction, let's use that trick to smooth panos...
Note : you have not this limitation in waypoint mode, fortunately!
Lets do the same for POI: negative altitudes allowed, 0m radius!

I was on top of a hill today filming a church in a valley approx 200 m below and couldn't use the poi which would have been great!

If you get good at flying you can do it fine by hand.

I understand why DJI did this, it is a safety measure. Lots of users would be flying into stuff and people if you could set it lower. That would possible be a liability.

So DJI plays it smart. But there may be some aftermarket apps that allow it look into it.

I was on top of a hill today filming a church in a valley approx 200 m below and couldn't use the poi which would have been great!
Exactly!!! This is the exact problem I have. I often fly off the roof of the building I live in (7 stories) and out over the San Francisco bay and sometimes I'd like to use POI but I can't because of the moron control limit. It's not just the 7 stories because you then have to factor in I'm up a bit of a hill too so 7 stories + maybe 75 feet + the 5m = way too far away to be useful. Heck many times when I'm flying the altitude is reading -100 feet. They've handicapped the P3 so badly it's ridiculous. I guess it's all in the name of keeping idiots from being idiots and their potential victims safe.

If you get good at flying you can do it fine by hand.

I understand why DJI did this, it is a safety measure. Lots of users would be flying into stuff and people if you could set it lower. That would possible be a liability.

So DJI plays it smart. But there may be some aftermarket apps that allow it look into it.

This is a rookie response. Theoretically you are correct. But, its pretty much impossible to get the shot as smooth as a computer can. Not to mention a lot of my 360 shots I speed up to make a nice effect and the slightest off balance throws the whole effect down the drain. Speeding up footage from POI looks very nice.

Reactions: happydays
Lots of users would be flying into stuff and people if you could set it lower. That would possible be a liability.

Thats non sense. If the user is dumb enough to have his/her Phantom fly around and hit stuff with POI then the user is too dumb to fly it manually without POI. People crash their quads all the time into trees, buildings, cars and whatever else they manage to hit. That doesnt make DJI stop letting users fly manually.

This is a rookie response. Theoretically you are correct. But, its pretty much impossible to get the shot as smooth as a computer can. Not to mention a lot of my 360 shots I speed up to make a nice effect and the slightest off balance throws the whole effect down the drain. Speeding up footage from POI looks very nice.
I have been shooting POI style shots with my S800 and Zenmuse for 5 years now. Mostly by hand. And I get very smooth results. Just turn down the gains and be smooth. Practice and then you can do perfect elliptical changing altitude flybys around an object that is either still or moving. Just remember you will be much smoother if you turn off GPS so there is only one pilot.

Added info:
And in AE you can do motion tracking to make it absolutely perfect. This is very cool with the 4K in the P3P.

Thats non sense. If the user is dumb enough to have his/her Phantom fly around and hit stuff with POI then the user is too dumb to fly it manually without POI. People crash their quads all the time into trees, buildings, cars and whatever else they manage to hit. That doesnt make DJI stop letting users fly manually.
Cant you see it. Some guy or girl sets up a shot around a statue at 6' altitude, and is very carefully watching the video shot on the iPad and does not look up in time to find out their own head is in the arc. Ouch!

I think that is what the DJI legal department thought of.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20