Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

What's up with my night time images?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by timgting44, Jun 11, 2016.

1. timgting44

Hi guys can someone please help me find out what's going on with my night time images? It's doing my head in and only seems to be n night images, here is a picture I just took off my phone of the image on my pc screen, any insight would be great, thanks, by the way my daytime images are fine

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. flyNfrank

Did you just go fly and take a pic in auto, or did you do a little research here on what others were doing for night shots prior to flying?

3. timgting44

i took it in auto mate, i dont normally take stills really, are you suggesting the auto mode has messed these up like this? i took the images in jpeg and raw, the jpegs are fine but the raws come out like this

4. timgting44

5. Wolfiesden

I have done a few night shots. On auto they, much like yours, turned out like crap.

On manual, thats another story. And these are NOT HDR.

2 sec. • ISO 100
    [​IMG]

1/6 • ISO 800
    [​IMG]

timgting44 likes this.
  6. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

There's nothing wrong with using auto and it wouldn't create any issues like what you are looking at.
    In that one, the problem was with the in-camera HDR function, which is generally regarded as not worth using.

7. timgting44

hmm one person says auto is the problem the other says nothing wrong with auto....im getting a bit confused now lol

meta4 you say theres nothing wrong with using auto, what do u think the problem is then?

thanks for all the replies and help everyone, just gets a bit confusing with conflicting answers :(

8. shockwave199

You don't have to be in the sky to experiment with picture taking. You do need to turn off the red leds on the front though, especially when taking practice shots on the ground but it's also needed while flying too. Try auto and see how it goes. Try manual with a low iso and experiment with longer shutter speeds, but you'll do better on the ground with longer shutter speeds so don't be fooled. Airborne, 2 to 3 second shutter speeds is the best you'll probably do. Also when practicing on the ground avoid really dark areas. Super dark won't work well in any case, on the ground or airborne. Some available light will be needed for best results.

9. timgting44

Thanks buddy, that's the plan of action for today then I guess, once I've experimented I'll post what the problem is so anyone else having this probleM will know, just hoping it's not a faulty camera or firmware related, thanks again, I'll let you know if I get to the problem or not

10. MikeyOnline

Could you put that DNG on Google Drive and post a link? I'd like to try developing it in my software. It looks like a combination of a white balance and black level issue where the red and blue channels are not finding their range properly. Might be fixable.

Regards,
    Mike

11. timgting44

Would b my pleasure, thanks for taking the time :)

Just sorting the kids lunch out and I'll get that file uploaded pronto, again thank you

12. SteveAikens

It's not really that confusing. Break it down this way.

To use a photo drone, you need to learn to fly first. I'm not talking about pushing buttons or relying on automated RTH and other features of the drone to keep you flying - I mean you have to learn to pilot your drone yourself. That's step one. If you can't fly - you can't take pictures or video.

The other part of the equation is - to properly use your camera, you need to learn to USE the camera and learn about photography. I can tell you for certain that anyone who tells you you can take good photos without understanding how things like shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc, affect the quality of the photos you take with your drone, 1) doesn't have a clue about photography, 2) has a low standard of the photos/video they take or 3) is satisfied with one in four photos coming out "ok".

So: Learn to fly first, learn to use the camera properly second.

Lastly - EVERYONE has to stop blaming the camera for their lack of photograph skills - if you're using "auto" settings - you're willing to take what you get. I'm not.
    Good luck and fly safe.

13. timgting44

Ok thank you very much, very helpful indeed

14. timgting44

here you go buddy

DJI_0407.DNG

15. MikeyOnline

I don't disagree, but that said, I've tested and written code for raw photos from hundreds of cameras and have never seen one that will blow the red and blue black points in a raw, even in auto mode. I could see over or under exposure or even noise as user error, but it's odd to see a raw that looks reasonable for midtones and highlights but shows what looks like clipped red/blue channels on blacks. To me, it looks like something that could be "fixed" by firmware. To be fair, the camera is not a DSLR so you can't really treat it as one. Any tool has it quirks so you have to just learn how to operate it within its limits/capabilities.

Mike

16. timgting44

so it "could" be camera error/firmware error then....

17. timgting44

ScatSpeak likes this.
  18. SteveAikens

Without taking a lot of time to fool with this.

Like I said - learn to fly first, then learn about how to use the camera.

Attached Files:

19. MikeyOnline

Thanks for the DNG. It's definitely strange. Everything is fine except the blackest blacks which have random full brightness red, green, blue, magenta, yellow, and cyan dots. As if it doesn't know how to handle black. I tried running that DNG through the DJI DNG cleaner figuring maybe that's what it's for... but the DNG cleaner corrupted the output DNG file so that nothing could read it. Is that DNG straight from the camera card? Or was it resaved via some other software?

Mike

20. timgting44

Seriously... I know how to fly mate without being rude, what makes you think I can not fly.... Nor use the camera, I have been a photographer for many years and an Astro photographer check my Flickr via my images I posted above, you should not just assume, I do not mean to be rude one bit but I feel your post is a tad rude my friend