Whats the strongest wind speeds anyone has flown in?

Under 15mph at ground level. I see no need to push the limit since I don't like to take chances with my P3P whether it be losing it or possibly injuring someone. Read some of the recent threads, undoubtedly many are a result of people pushing their P3P possibly beyond its limits yet more likely, their own limits.

I'm not sure of the speed, but we have tall trees all around our house which block the wind somewhat. A few days ago I took off and climbed above tree level and evidently hit strong winds aloft and suddenly my drone was flying away. I pulled the stick all the way back and I assume I was in wind roughly the same speed as the top speed of the drone, because I was alternately at a dead standstill, moving away slowly, and then moving slowly back towards home. I thought I might lose the drone. Then I descended slowly about 20 feet and I was partly out of the wind, and got her home. Lesson learned, I won't fly again when the treetops are swaying.

15 mph.

I always check in advance of flying. I use UAVforecast.com. I don't care what the surface wind is forecast. If my plan is to fly to 400 ft, and surface wind is 9 mph, I check the above site. If it shows winds at 400 ft higher than 15 mph, I change my plan or stay grounded.

DJI state 20 mph, I guess flying long distance with 20 mph against you on return maxed out you hitting just 17 mph full throttle, batteries getting low much quicker! Good bye phantom.

I flew in 20 mph yesterday(based on the flag across the lake. I was protected somewhat from the east wind by lakeshore homes so I was likely around 12-15 mph based on ft/s drift in Atti mode. I also flew no higher than the flag pole.

Amazing how fast a Pro will go, with the wind...............

Thanks guys I was curious if I was being a little too cautious or not!! I usually watch for under 20 kms per hour of wind as being perfect conditions but I have flown up to 30 kms per hour but only very short flights and low altitudes. thanks for all the comments they are helpful

According to HealthyDrones The highest sustained wind speed I have ever flown in was 29.6 mph with a measured peak gust of 35.7. I was on the beach in County Clare and just didn't think about winds aloft. At about 100 feet up the P3P became a kite and had to "tack" to bring the thing back. I now use UAVforecast before every flight and stay grounded if the winds at 400 feet are above 21 mph.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the speed, but we have tall trees all around our house which block the wind somewhat. A few days ago I took off and climbed above tree level and evidently hit strong winds aloft and suddenly my drone was flying away. I pulled the stick all the way back and I assume I was in wind roughly the same speed as the top speed of the drone, because I was alternately at a dead standstill, moving away slowly, and then moving slowly back towards home. I thought I might lose the drone. Then I descended slowly about 20 feet and I was partly out of the wind, and got her home. Lesson learned, I won't fly again when the treetops are swaying.
You should upload your flight log to healthydrones there is a section that can fairly accurately estimate the wind speed you encountered. Like this:
Healthydrones Wind Speed Map.jpg

20-25mph winds made me turn back while trying to
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453039218.152389.jpg
capture a closer view of Mackinac Bridge. Battery was draining quickly and drone was drifting.

I ended up drifting all the way to this side of bridge and fought it back to land.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453039385.506540.jpg

Reactions: 0DRK3RT
I have flown in 20mph winds with gusts of 30 - 40mph.
My last flight had a gust of 44mph!
It copes very well just watch the takeoff and hand catch landing!

I'd like to see the video of this flight. Especially when the 44mph wind gust took place.

I was out attempting high speed flights in 25mph wind one afternoon. These flights are usually around 1/4 mile give or take. On this day the wind direction was from north to the south. On a return flight which ended up being the last of the day, I took a direct hit in the side from a 45mph wind gust that was out in front of a storm front coming in from the west. I was able to watch all this take place because at the time I was only some 500ft away. That just added to the horror as I watched and was attempting different maneuvers to keep the A/C from crashing. When the wind hit I was at full throttle P-mode and it was taking it off the flight route at very fast rate. So I briefly tried to hover but it was still taking it away just not as fast. I then opted to fly into this gust and it was still taking the A/C backwards further away from me and all this was around 150ft altitude. I knew I had one option left to try in saving the A/C, so while still at full throttle P-mode and directly into the wind, I switch to A-mode keeping it full throttle and began lowering the A/C's altitude. This method allows the A/C to make forward progress as it is slicing the wind at a less direct angle. I also use this method when searching for a faster mph speed.

I survived as well as the A/C...but my nerves were a complete wreck after that one. It was my most intense flight to this day.

I can't post videos - internet too bad!
I didn't even realise the wind speed had been that high - average was 18mph but I did fly over a ridge and a few hundred feet up. Doesn't seem to be any disturbance on the video.
Speed on outbound flight was 11mph - return 44mph.

Average wind speed of 34 mph according to Healthy Drones. I think it might be a little suspect (high), but it was definitely windy. I failed to take into account just how windy it would be at altitude (you'd think with a pilot's license I would remember such things!). It was a little nerve racking, to be sure. Would never do it again, and always look at forecasted/current wind speeds and local METARs and TAFs before flights now. It was really drifting on me, and coming back into the wind was slow going. Did land uneventfully. It would not hover in one spot though in GPS mode, was definitely drifting, fairly erratically.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I've flown in 25 mph winds. Possibly higher the time my Vision+ got caught in a thunderstorm. She sounded really funny hovering a couple hundred feet overhead. You could really hear the motors working trying to compensate but she handled it fine. The camera view still looked perfectly stable. :)

Just throwing it out there wondering how much people have pushed the limits??

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj