What's the point of the warranty?

Reaction score
Reading plenty of threads on here, it seems that firmware updates sometimes do cause problems and I completely understand that pilot error is a factor. However, surely when something like this has a problem, the chances are it will be in the air. Let's say a motor fails and this is nothing to do with pilot error - it will crash and therefore not be covered by warranty?

I guess it would be rare that DJI will actually repair something under warranty?

Laserblues2 said:
Reading plenty of threads on here, it seems that firmware updates sometimes do cause problems and I completely understand that pilot error is a factor. However, surely when something like this has a problem, the chances are it will be in the air. Let's say a motor fails and this is nothing to do with pilot error - it will crash and therefore not be covered by warranty?

I guess it would be rare that DJI will actually repair something under warranty?

I personally have had a gimbal repaired. I bought my Vision Plus and after 5 flights and three days the Return to Home failed and caused damage on landing in still and sunny conditions. There was no physical damage to the bird but the dreaded gimbal dance started. After explaining what had happened and the shop inspected the bird they said, yep it will be fixed under warranty.

However, after receiving the bird back it has developed other problems, constant error message on the app to calibrate the compass before and after flights, even with advanced calibration in the assistant software. Also when in flight taking video the camera is rock solid then all of a sudden it will tilt a couple of degrees to the right. I have video of this. The bird is currently at the repairer and they have said that there is nothing wrong with the bird even though I have supplied video and photographic evidence of the problem. Even though they have viewed the video showing the problem, because they have run tests and have not found anything wrong they are saying there is nothing wrong. I did tell them that the problems are intermittent.

Laserblues2 said:

Alot of it amounts to seller, they're DJI eyes on the ground and most times they're making the call. To help clear your assumptions - I've sent back gimbals, batteries and a NAZA unit that were questionable and have never had an issue with DJI declining to warranty the product. You can call or write to DJI customer support if your selling dealer won't approve the warranty. Btw - DJI support is 10x better now than it was a year ago.

MC

They are replacing my battery through warranty. Not as big as if it were the bird, but it's something.
Their email ticketing is kinda useless; I learned you always have to call them in order to get warranty service.

What is the warranty period, anyway? I didn't see any paperwork about it.

I have to agree about support being better .. I have been waiting nearly 3 months for replacement batteries and sent loads of emails .. I sent another 2days ago and got 3 replies within 3 hours .. Apologising and said I would get them within 2 weeks :)

That's great to know, I was starting to get worried reading all these threads about flyaways and crashes etc!

Thanks for the replies :)

Have both phantom 2 vision and PANTOM 2 with gopro. Have never had an accident with any of those. Learn to fly in all modes, especially manual. using a manual and not trained to phantom fall like a stone, one must keep trhottle all the time. think many of the errors are user errors

Laserblues2 said:

This has always been a gray area with RC, and a problem for both end users and manufacturers. For the user, how do you "prove" the motor failed in flight? For the manufacturer, how do you know the aircraft wasn't crashed by a complete newbie and the damage is a result of the crash? This is why it is important to develop a relationship with a reputable dealer. Not that this guarantees things will always go your way, but it certainly helps if you've been around, the dealer knows you and you've purchased many models, and they can go to bat for you with the manufacturer.

Case in point: FMS makes some amazing RC fixed-wing models. A couple years ago they released some new 1700mm (5.5' wingspan) warbirds. There were some issues early on. The v1 F4U Corsair had a plastic prop hub assembly they tended to fly apart. Further, the firewall (what the motor bolts to) was sometimes poorly glued and the thrust would sometimes totally rip the firewall from the fuselage. The 1700mm P-47 was notorious for the firewall failure. Needless to say, both of these problems resulted in aircraft being totally destroyed as they plummeted to earth.

My F4U is a v2, so the prop assembly was redesigned with a beefier metal hub, and I knew to always apply hot glue to the firewall to ensure it was well attached to the fuselage, so I did not suffer these issues. The guys are MotionRC went to bat with FMS for several of their customers who suffered these problems, and got them replacement aircraft from FMS at no charge. Considering these are extremely impressive $400+ models, that was nice indeed! I have two of the Mustangs...the Ferocious Frankie in this video and the Red Tail, and also the v2 gray & white Corsair. If you ever want a BIG and impressive fixed-wing model, these are impressive!

FMS 1700mm P-51D Mustang "Ferocious Frankie"
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3LvPDfh_Q[/youtube]

FMS 1700mm v2 F4U Corsair "Olathe Airfield"
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBa0-B0EHTc[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr