What's the law/rules when flying in England uk

Reaction score
Today drove too a nature reserve out off town..cut a long story short.
I was flying about 100 hundred metres around this reserve for 10 min..when this crazy women came up too me saying you can't fly hear as its a nature reserve.
I told her I can fly where I like and I'm breaking no laws and too go away..she gave me loads of threats with police/Rangers and the council...lol
Question..is she right I can't fly there...ok she lives there but surly that makes no difference?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would say your not suppose to fly there its a nature reserve not a good spot

Really.....I thought it's the best place too fly

But thx for your info

Nature Reserves are the property of the government, and the airspace above the "property" would also belong to the government.
So yes, if someone is telling you off you should probably stop. But just like we fly over our neighbour's homes, we should probably stop if they tell us.

When I was in the UK a ranger from English Heritage was not happy when we flew over one of their sites. Depends on who manages the nature reserve. We read the notice stuck to a pole at the entrance to the site and it said nothing about UAV's. The sign was about 80 years old though.

Firstly the laws are the same in the rest of Great Britain as well. It isn't just England!
I actually live in a National Park and near a nature reserve. As far as I know there are NO laws governing flying in such places in the UK.
Beware though some are privately owned. Also if it was a bird sanctuary or something they would have a right to shout but other than that you should be fine.

You'll get variations from location to location. The Norfolk part of the National Trust, which covers areas of SSI and bird reserves, have a total drone embargo. Other places do not.

Hi guys, I'm a newbie and loving my P3A. How is it best to handle a person who does not want you to fly in "their" space? I was flying in a large park with not many people and was asked by a person to please keep my bird in my space. As this was my first time ever questions I said ok and stuck pretty close to home.

Any thoughts welcome ..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

No Fly Drones | No Fly Zones for Drones in the UK | Fly Safe
Shows the restricted airspace in the UK.
If you are standing on land private or public whoever owns the land or manages the land is within their rights to ask you to stop and leave. Scotland slightly different as there is right to roam laws so as long as you are not damaging or creating a disturbance you can access, however drone may be classed as disturbance due to noise and owner may have right to ask you to leave.

So as I understand so long as you observe the CAA rules (50m of property and people not above 400ft and always in sight so 500m) are not on the land ie just outside the boundary you can fly in any unrestricted airspace.

Nature reserves you may find even outside the boundary that if you are disturbing a protected species in nesting season, mating season etc. Irrespective of flying a drone if you are disturbing them there could be a very nasty fine.

At the end of the day if we don't want to have to licensing, draconian restrictions or worst outright bans fly with consideration of others at all times and don't break the CAA rules.

Thanks and yeah I was well within those rules.. I need clarification on the 50m of property and people rule please. Does 50m up still work or is it 50m to the side ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You'll get variations from location to location. The Norfolk part of the National Trust, which covers areas of SSI and bird reserves, have a total drone embargo. Other places do not.

Yes they have a total ban on drones but they should not be allowed:

Flying drones at our places

The National Trust policy on this is criminalising, old fashioned and plain inaccurate, I am happy to join a group of pilots to take on this.

This actually contravenes the UK Civil Aviation Authority own rules. I could do a deconstruction of their ludicrous list point by point. The irony is that people interested in the environment like myself find it nearly impossible to fly over spaces that should be commons in Norfolk as it's mostly controlled by the Trust, Holkham State etc.

There are multiple threads about this on other forums, for example:

Flying over National Trust sites

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31