What's the difference between Phantom 3 batteries

OK ... now here's something that I have been told and I am not sure whether they are correct ...

Another forum reckons the DJI battery is a High Voltage LiPo ... not of 4.2v full charge - but 4.35v as per LiPoHV format .... as a 4S HV format that means 17.4v full charged.

Can anyone verify this ?

Nigel

Have another different guy say HV LiPo ..... so this is getting more interesting !

Nigel

Thank you ... I didn't spend 4 years in College wasted !

EMF is in all batterys / motors / gennys ... its a fact of life that all charging / powering up has to live with. Without it - a) motor could literally speed up to infinite rpm, b) a battery would just charge at whatever amps / volts a supply could throw at it, c) a genny would have no real control .... literally. My use of word resistance is not meant as the actual term Electrical Resistance ... it was meant as a general open term to say a battery resisting the charge input and causing the charger to have to exceed the batterys vaoltage at that time.

Nigel
Ok Nigel we still have the same page of the hymn book open, I'm pretty sure of it. If we are talking EMF we are in 100% agreement. In current ordinary parlance most would say volts but both terms mean the same thing, at least for the purposes of this discussion. Earlier you said, and my response related to "back emf". A specific term that describes voltages generated in electo magnetic systems (it has no relavence to batteries).

We can agree to disagree ? If so - we can return to the important part of understanding the charge and means to charge.

People are using both DJI supplied chargers and some are using late versions of LiPo chargers that have multiple format charge regimes. Why late versions ? There appears to be evidence that the LiPo's used are HV versions - which would explain the failure of replacement LiPo's in old cases. Plus of course the possibility that the chip in the battery refuses to recognise the new LiPo.

This brings us to an interesting matter - Printer Manufacturers like Canon, HP etc. tried to force users to only buy proprietary cartridges by inserting chips ... that didn't last long before enterprising 'hackers' found out how to cheat the chips - without causing any problem for the printer.
How long before - maybe already sorted ? - before the DJI battery is sorted and we can replace the battery inside the case ?

I read reports that DJI are trying with latest FW to force the issue. That latest FW can reject and block 3rd party batterys. Well DJI - if that does happen - I think it will be a blow to DJI sales as other drones are on market / coming on that rival the Phantoms.

Sorry ... getting a bit of track there !!

So we need to confirm that the standard DJI battery is a HV version, that there are no Standard normal versions as well. But of course trawled through DJI docs and no mention of it at all ... just stating the nominal 15.2v which applies to all 4S LiPo's.

Nigel

This is a cut and paste from DJI response to a completely different matter on their forum ...

While using the battery under low temperature environment, between -10℃ to 4℃, the internal resistance of the battery increases which leads to heavy drop in voltage. Therefore, please fully charge the battery before using. The voltage of battery cells reaches 4.35V. While the temperature is lower than 5℃, the battery needs to be fully charged, the voltage of battery cells should be higher than 4.2V, and warm-up and heat preservation actions should be taken before launching. The warm-up can be achieved with the battery heater or by hovering the drone at a low altitude for around one minute.

Which states the 4.35V ...............

Thanks to all here and on other forums as well ... the quest for solution to the lipo goes on !

Nigel

The batteries are exactly the same for all P3 models, but the new firmware checks for non genuine DJI cells and will not allow them to start the drone. Many people say that the third party cells worked well before the firmware disallowed them.

The reason DJI are sensitive about third party batteries is because sudden faiure in flight will have serious consequences and the drone will be blamed, not the battery.

The situation with chargers is similar. If a genuine battery is charged with a non genuine charger (mains or 12V car types), it is possible that the battery can be damaged by over charging. Search Google for LiPo cells to see that they sometimes catch fire when charging, so having a good charger is essential to reduce this risk.

I hope this helps.

I had a job to shoot with my P3 Advanced and due to the remote location I need another battery. I couldn't get a DJI battery in time so I got this 3rd party battery on Amazon Prime for $71.00. After 3-4 flights and charges it still does fine. I can't tell the difference in it and the DJI batteries. Powerextra 15.2V 4480mAh LiPo Intelligent Battery Replacement Battery for DJI Phantom 3 SE, Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 3 Standard, 4K Drones - Upgraded

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31