What's the best tablet for a Phantom 3?

I'm a noob to all this. Except for technical IT which I'm pretty savvy. I guess what I like to know from the general users, is how good is to fly the P3 Advance with iPad 2 mini w/ wifi only tethering with iPhone 6s?

I just ordered my P3 Advance. Thanks to let me know what I'm in for :)

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

you don't need to have active internet to fly, just cache the google maps for the area before you leave connection,

to fly, the rc and tablet are connected via a usb cable so wifi / internet not needed.

see post #146 above for specific tab 2 answer

FWIW
NVidia shield is 200 and rocks as a monitor and it has a nice feature set that makes it a very capable tool.

Reactions: BrandAL
Thanks Kirk. So if I tether with my iPhone 6s, I should be able to use the follow me and return to home option?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks Kirk. So if I tether with my iPhone 6s, I should be able to use the follow me and return to home option?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Those 2 features use different capabilities.

return to home is a feature of the phantom that uses the gps home point that is set at startup. as long as gps is working in the QUAD it will return to home, RC on or off or internet or not, if set in GO APP to do so

Follow me is completely different.
It NEEDS a GPS signal at the RC(most all recent android and Istuff ready for gms internet)
I don't have any I phone s so I cant answer if teathering will give you the gps you need for follow me.

I got tired of messing with my phone so I just got the Shield for 200 and use for flying and never an issue! It has everything.

how can you beat these spec for the $
NVIDIA® Tegra® K1 192 core Kepler GPU
2.2 GHz ARM Cortex A15 CPU with 2GB RAM
Display 8-inch 1920x1200 multi-touch Full HD display
Audio Front facing stereo speakers, dual bass reflex port with built-in microphone
Storage* 16 GB
*Portion of storage occupied by system software.
Wireless 802.11n 2x2 Mimo 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 4.0 LE
GPS / GLONASS
Interface Mini-HDMI output
Micro-USB 2.0
MicroSD storage slot
3.5 mm stereo headphone jack
with microphone support
Motion Sensors 3-axis gyro
3-axis accelerometer
3-axis compass
Gaming Features SHIELD controller compatible
GeForce NOW™ cloud gaming
Console Mode
NVIDIA ShadowPlay
Cameras Front: 5MP HDR; Back: 5MP auto focus HDR
Video Features 4K Ultra-HD Ready

Indeed! Nice specs.
Thank you Kirk

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab S2
  • Display
    9.7” 2048x1536 (QXGA) sAMOLED
    8.0” 2048x1536 (QXGA) sAMOLED

• AP
    Exynos 5433 (1.9GHz Quad + 1.3GHz Quad)

• Memory
    3GB + 32/64GB
    MicroSD up to 128GB

• Camera
    8MP AF + 2.1MP FF

• Wireless
    Connectivity

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac MIMO
    (2.4GHz/5GHz)
    Wi-Fi Direct, BT 4.1 BLE

• Dimension
    9.7” 169.0 x 237.3 x 5.6 mm
    8.0” 134.8 x 198.6 x 5.6 mm
    WIRELESS ONLY (389 g)/(265 g)
    LTE-ENABLED (392 g)/(272 g)

• Battery
    9.7” 5,870mAh
    8.0” 4,000mAh

• OS
    Android Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 – The Official Samsung Galaxy Site

Reactions: henick
If you study the specs, nvidia has a better graphics processor but only a quad core main processor. Tab S2 has an octacore main processor and more (3 GB ) RAM. Many say the Tab S2 screen is brighter, but I have never seen the 2 displays side-by-side to compare. I prefer Samsung, but both are excellent choices and seem to be, by far, the Android tablets preferred by the majority of the Phantom fliers. (If you are an IOS lover, go compare your IOS tablets. This comparison is for the Android lovers who do not like IOS. :))

Last edited:
White Galaxy tab s2 here and it's absolutely perfect. Never had lag or issues of any type while using DJI Go, Litchi or Vertical Studio.

Sounds a bit trivial but it matches the other gear well also. Functionality is excellent.

There are 2 versions (in canada). The m version is better. Has mobile data capability, double RAM (3g) and an exynos octacore.

Last edited:
I ordered it online so it may not be from here... Not sure... I did need it unlocked before the sim would work now that I think about it. No complaints other than the battery dies fast when it's cold.

Edit. It's an s2 sorry I mis spoke as a tab 4

Last edited:
SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab S2
  • Display
    9.7” 2048x1536 (QXGA) sAMOLED
    8.0” 2048x1536 (QXGA) sAMOLED

• AP
    Exynos 5433 (1.9GHz Quad + 1.3GHz Quad)

• Memory
    3GB + 32/64GB
    MicroSD up to 128GB

• Camera
    8MP AF + 2.1MP FF

• Wireless
    Connectivity

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac MIMO
    (2.4GHz/5GHz)
    Wi-Fi Direct, BT 4.1 BLE

• Dimension
    9.7” 169.0 x 237.3 x 5.6 mm
    8.0” 134.8 x 198.6 x 5.6 mm
    WIRELESS ONLY (389 g)/(265 g)
    LTE-ENABLED (392 g)/(272 g)

• Battery
    9.7” 5,870mAh
    8.0” 4,000mAh

• OS
    Android Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 – The Official Samsung Galaxy Site

Great specs for sure

but the key that makes the NVIDIA Shield much better as a single use device is the PRICE
Nvidia K1 list price is $199.00
TabS2 is $ listed at 399.00

True, and I paid more for Tab S2 9.7 and LTE, but it does everything I need for my P3P and also everything I need a tablet for when I'm not flying, so I am very happy with it. I was out flying today in full Florida sun and only needed the shadow of my head to see the screen just fine.

Last edited:
Still like my IPad air 2 ...but thinking about the IPad Pro :D
Just got the 9.7" Pro waiting for them to arrive next week.
Now I need to look for a sturdied bracket stand and maybe a tablet extender as I've got a Logitech iPad BLOK case on it.
Any suggestions for a bracket and extender?

The Inspire 1 tablet mount is rock solid. Another option would be to just replace the plastic mount on your existing tablet holder with a metal mount -- like the Jrelics or Drone Decals mount. There are many other 3rd party mount replacements.

This mount extender is the best option for the DJI tablet mount.
Thanks got a metal bracket with the wide foot like someone else here a few pages back.
The holder extender looks like it's available everywhere. Just didn't think it'll be any good as it looks like the iPad doesn't even sit flat against it.

The holder extender looks like it's available everywhere. Just didn't think it'll be any good as it looks like the iPad doesn't even sit flat against it.
It's 3D printed and that model is available on Thingiverse, so many people are printing and selling it. I printed one myself back when the model was first shared and found it holds a tablet very well. You're right though -- the back of the tablet will not touch the bottom of the tablet holder.

It's 3D printed and that model is available on Thingiverse, so many people are printing and selling it. I printed one myself back when the model was first shared and found it holds a tablet very well. You're right though -- the back of the tablet will not touch the bottom of the tablet holder.
Cool I'll get one too.
Once I receive everything, I'll remember to come back and post a pic with some thoughts.

I have a phantom 3 pro and I have a nexus 7 tablet. The nexus 7 has android version 6.0.1. My question is this nexus 7 OK to use with the DJI go app? I WAS told by DJI support that it was not but it may work. Thanks

Reactions: Simzy666

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20